Help me create the best "slide out" cupholders! (1 Viewer)

Thinking our loud here.... What if the cupholders were attached/inserted via a pair of dowels rather than a slot?

Then you could drill pairs of holes of that diameter at various intervals around the table.

Would probably want to use oak or a similarly strong wood.

Whichever solution you settle upon, I would be mindful that any bracket/block added to the underside of the table will reduce leg space (thigh space, to be exact). I’m not a giant — just a little over 6' — but a pet peeve is when the top of my bent leg jostles the underside of a table.
That's a reasonable idea, but then I think it would be tough for people to find the holes?

Dowels unless large enough would deflect with weight and then would have to be supported not to twist.

Here's a quick update on my Don Quixote quest for slide-in completely flexible positioning cuphholders - Don't try this at home! I have committed to the design I had in the original post with adding the layer of wood to the bottom of the table so I could slide the end of the cupholder into it. Also using magnets to hold them in place securely. WAY too much complexity/work! We'll see how it turns out. The white "wood" is actually Azek trim board that had leftover from a deck project. It will get painted black.
IMG_20200908_145149180.jpg
IMG_20200908_145327462.jpg

can you not notch out for the cup to slide in?

It seems you would catch on the top as well...

You could use a small rabbit to fix that problem

Looking at he original pictures you can't slide the cup into hide the cup can you?

can you not notch out for the cup to slide in?

It seems you would catch on the top as well...

You could use a small rabbit to fix that problem
Notch out how? Sorry, the picture may not be clear. The diagram on post #23 shows what I am doing. The only thing that is not accurate about that diagram is that the size of the slide in fits exactly into the slot without a space, and the magnet is flush with the wood. Nice tight fit. One problem I could see happening is the screws eventually working loose that are holding in the white Azek boards. But given that I host less than once a month, that won't happen for a while.

Also, what is a rabbit? I am not a woodworker.

Without looking at the picture I thought you could slide them all the way in. After looking at the picture I realized you could not. Your far into the build to change it. Sorry for my confusion...

Same with the rabbit bit. Not needed with you design...

My bad. I go into furniture design mode and I start working out problems , but you've already built it...

You could have used the rabbit bit and a friction catch at the back which would have been more stable...

Attachments

• zdt35_baffle_routing-01TSML.jpg
    zdt35_baffle_routing-01TSML.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Still going on this thing! Hopefully staining the oak cupholders tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_20200925_200651232.jpg
    IMG_20200925_200651232.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 111

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom