Help me choose a frac for this CPC set please! (1 Viewer)

Which base color do you prefer for this frac?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ben

Full House
Reaction score
OK, so I am adding a quarter to this already-existing custom CPC set with denoms $1 (blue), $5 (tiger), $20 (black) and $100 (white.) I'm a bit torn on exactly what to go with.

What say you, PCF gurus? Which one do you like best (and why, if you feel like typing?) Comments welcome!

Spoiler: gray would be the clear winner for me if the $1 base was anything other than light blue. Gray and light blue are very close, even though the spot colors are radically different... Still considering it heavily.

Also disclaimer: in no way do I obligate myself to be bound by the results of this poll. :)

dsq1.png
dsq2.png
dsq3.png
dsq4.png
dsq5.png

Last edited:
I like the pink or lavender; however, I think the edge spot could be better. The current edge spot color just isn't doing it for me. Lavender with charcoal edgespot perhaps? The lower denominations all have very light color saturation.

Edit: Charcoal with lavender or pink edgespot might compete with the $100, but that's a close third to me.

Last edited:
Retro Lav with gray would be sweet imo.

New mystery set in the works?? (y) :thumbsup:

Reactions: Ben
I like the pink or lavender; however, I think the edge spot could be better. The current edge spot color just isn't doing it for me. Lavender with charcoal edgespot perhaps? The lower denominations all have very light color saturation.

Fair enough; arc yellow is the last color on my "I really like this color but have never used it" list. I don't want to use it as a base due to the orange $5, and I think it looks good as a spot on any of these. But I could be swayed if someone were to blow me away with another idea. ;)

really like the lavender version. The gray and the charcoal with the orange jump out at me as University of Tennessee colors, so if that's what you are thinking, that would be pretty cool too

Gray and light blue are very close

I went through this when I was designing my Bourbon set. I wanted both colors. Ended up going a different route because they were way to close. I believe @Psypher1000 took some comparison photo's for me and that was the deciding factor to not use both gray and light blue.

Of the choices you listed I prefer Charcoal. Honestly I'm not in "love" with any of them.

B

OK, I tried it and not really digging on a gray spot with any color - just doesn't fit with this very colorful set, to my eye. It's fine as a base with a poppin' spot color, but doesn't work for me as a spot. Yeah, I don't really understand it either - it just is. :oops:

I think the gray and the light blue are too close and could get mixed up in stacks, I have similar concerns with charcoal/black, dg pink/dg tiger (ask @MikesDad about his tourney set with this issue) and maybe lavender/dg tiger. Have you thought about a dg green base? Or maybe a dg yellow?

Gray is my favorite of the four you listed, but clashes with the $1 chip. Charcoal would be my pick of the four, but this Cali color set is begging for a green quarter.

Canary? Not in love with any of the listed choices

Hmm, I originally dismissed this one as "not quite going to make the cut" but it's growing on me.

5th poll choice added. :) (I did try a bunch of other spots on it, and don't like any as much as the arc yellow.)

dsq5.png

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having more trouble with the edge spot progression than with the base color. Just one edge spot on the frac would probably make me change my vote to #5.

Like the Retro Lavender for the base color but try another spot color (grey), the DG Arc Yellow is too close to the $5 colors.

Reactions: 72o
arc yellow is the last color on my "I really like this color but have never used it" list.
I absolutely hear this. Had I started my customs five years ago I'm sure it would be prominent in the set but the additions of tiger and peach make it difficult for me to find a place for arc yellow. Did finally manage to put it in my tournament set but it took a chip that also used tiger and peach for me to get there :)

I absolutely hear this. Had I started my customs five years ago I'm sure it would be prominent in the set but the additions of tiger and peach make it difficult for me to find a place for arc yellow. Did finally manage to put it in my tournament set but it took a chip that also used tiger and peach for me to get there :)

I did start my customs 5 years ago, and I STILL haven't gotten there. :oops:

Part of it is that arc yellow always looks SOOO much better IRL than in mockups, at least to me. At this point I've internalized the fact that whichever one of these gets made, it's going to look 10x better than the mockup. :)

Also I have 2 different sets where a spot color on one chip is used directly as the base color of the next chip. Doesn't bother me at all. I've got no issue with the arc yellow spot and the $5 chip (not even that similar IMO), except with a base color that's also kind of close like DG pink. But never try to put the same spot color on 2 consecutive chips or I'll kill you. Just how my mind works I guess. ;)

...Part of it is that arc yellow always looks SOOO much better IRL than in mockups, at least to me. At this point I've internalized the fact that whichever one of these gets made, it's going to look 10x better than the mockup. :)...
Totally agree here. Arc yellow almost looks electric when paired with a darker surrounding color.

I voted for retro lavender btw. The only comment I can make right now is that I really don't think dg pink should be an option with a dg tiger fiver. I like the green option but I have something against similar hue greens and blues next to each other.

Edit. I guess dg green and light blue aren't really that close after all.

Last edited:
The only comment I can make right now is that I really don't think dg pink should be an option with a dg tiger fiver.

I get where you're coming from but pretty much the whole reason the poll is here is that my "this chip is fawesome" list is exactly the same as my "this chip might have issues here" list. ;)

The dg pink chip would definitely be a problem to some degree with the fiver, but the DG pink chip is STOOPID fawesome so the question really is how much do I/should I actually care???

I get where you're coming from but pretty much the whole reason the poll is here is that my "this chip is fawesome" list is exactly the same as my "this chip might have issues here" list. ;)

The dg pink chip would definitely be a problem to some degree with the fiver, but the DG pink chip is STOOPID fawesome so the question really is how much do I/should I actually care???

Love the dg pink chip individually, but it will get mixed up with the tiger chip. Love the dg green chip too, and it doesn't have the same issues.

Voted charcoal.

Not sure if the other colors are set in stone but I think the $1 Is screaming for a peacock base to add to the FAWESOMENESS of this set

Not sure if the other colors are set in stone but I think the $1 Is screaming for a peacock base to add to the FAWESOMENESS of this set

I'd say they're set in stone - see post #8. ;)

Peacock was strongly considered as the $1 base but I ultimately settled on the current configuration because reasons and stuff.

no-regrets-tattoo-i-regert-nothing.jpg

Dammit @courage, my goal with this set is to blast your retinas off! Stop trying to protect them - resistance is futile. :p

(I actually had that exact green chip mocked as a $25 in a previous non-Cali version of this set. I like it, but no way I could do it with the existing $1 - I think I see blue and green as closer than most people do.)

I went that direction for spot progression since the $1 is a tame blue on blue. :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom