Help me buy a guitar (1 Viewer)

Which guitar brand should I buy?

• Total voters
Thanks everyone for your help and advice I really appreciate it. I just put a deposit down on the Reverend Billy Corgan signature. The heart wants what the heart wants. Ticket price is $1,200 USD. I realize this isn't a high demand guitar and I probably can never sell it without taking a huge hit but I am okay with that.

Canadian government is giving everyone 1k CAD so I am just calling this a freebie :)

I will probably just keep it and give it to my kids if any of them play later.

Thanks guys!

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/billy-corgan-signature

PS. I am going with the white one since Billy says that one sounds better lol

Looks great!!.. and I'm sure you'll get the sound you want from it.. if not, you just keep buying different ones until your closet is full ;)
Sure you know, but with any guitar, a good setup is the difference between night and day.
Maybe Billy is on to something.. I used to have a white Charvel Model 1 (was stolen) and it sounded nice.
I mean different chip colors have differnt composition.. taking some white spray paint to my axes now.. I'll let you know how it goes :confused:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks everyone for your help and advice I really appreciate it. I just put a deposit down on the Reverend Billy Corgan signature. The heart wants what the heart wants. Ticket price is $1,200 USD. I realize this isn't a high demand guitar and I probably can never sell it without taking a huge hit but I am okay with that.

Canadian government is giving everyone 1k CAD so I am just calling this a freebie :)

I will probably just keep it and give it to my kids if any of them play later.

Thanks guys!

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/billy-corgan-signature

PS. I am going with the white one since Billy says that one sounds better lol

Nice! Enjoy and Rock Out!

Looks great!!.. and I'm sure you'll get the sound you want from it.. if not, you just keep buying different ones until your closet is full ;)
Sure you know, but with any guitar, a good setup is the difference between night and day.
Maybe Billy is on to something.. I used to have a white Charvel Model 1 (was stolen) and it sounded nice.
I mean different chip colors have differnt composition.. taking some white spray paint to my axes now.. I'll let you know how it goes :confused:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I find myself already wanting a USA strat. to go with the Corgan guitar outfitted with 2x Railhammer PUPS (their version of humbuckers I think) I think I could be in trouble when it comes to collecting gear.

I bought the Op Amp version of the Big Muff and the Spark amp, both still en route to me. I feel happy with my setup and the only weak link now is my playing so I need to get busy and put some work in. Hopefully get some good practice in over the holidays. If I learn anything cool maybe I will post a vid here.

There's something awesome about a telecaster too. Many heavy rock guitarists are using them and there's sort of a tele rebirth going on.
I started aging the chrome hardware on my newish tele. Just used a red scotch brite pad to dull/remove the chrome plating to make it look more road worn.
IMG_20201226_174410.jpg

IMG_20201226_170213.jpg

IMG_20201224_032100617.jpg
IMG_20201224_032117083.jpg

Last edited:
I find myself already wanting a USA strat. to go with the Corgan guitar outfitted with 2x Railhammer PUPS (their version of humbuckers I think) I think I could be in trouble when it comes to collecting gear.

I bought the Op Amp version of the Big Muff and the Spark amp, both still en route to me. I feel happy with my setup and the only weak link now is my playing so I need to get busy and put some work in. Hopefully get some good practice in over the holidays. If I learn anything cool maybe I will post a vid here.
Reverend does have standard humbuckers that it sells on its stock models (Charger HB, Contender HB, etc). Railhammers are the brainchild of Reverend founder Joe Naylor, and are technically a separate company, although there is natural crossover.

The idea behind the Railhammer design is to have a rail under the lower strings for a tighter, more focused low end, and large poles under the the high strings for a thicker tone. There are multiple versions. I had a guitar with the now-discontinued Tel90’s, and they were great.

The Billy Corgan version is designed to sound more like a P90 without the hum.

1609284518872.jpeg

Attachments

• 1609284482880.jpeg
    1609284482880.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 86
Acoustic >>> electric.
Buy a Taylor /thread :tup:

I had several but I just hate the bulkyness.
Taylor, Takamine, Martin, Gibson and Ibanez all have great accoustic guitars in their line.
I've been looking to try an accoustic tele or Godin...but never found one in the price I'm willing to pay for one.

This was without doubt the best accoustic player (non classic) I've found on YT.
SIIIIIIIICK how clean he plays those riffs (check out his vids if you like)

Hope you are having fun @Lemonzest

I had several but I just hate the bulkyness.

It's definitely a different feel. I bought a 12-fret Taylor (322ce) that's a lot of fun to play. The shorter neck produces a slightly deeper, warmer tone than a typical Taylor. It's a little closer to the Martin sound, but still has the crispness of a Taylor. Takes a little getting used to at first because your hand isn't as far out as it is on a standard fretboard, but I love it! So much fun to play, and less bulky too.

1610458176492.png

It's definitely a different feel. I bought a 12-fret Taylor (322ce) that's a lot of fun to play. The shorter neck produces a slightly deeper, warmer tone than a typical Taylor. It's a little closer to the Martin sound, but still has the crispness of a Taylor. Takes a little getting used to at first because your hand isn't as far out as it is on a standard fretboard, but I love it! So much fun to play, and less bulky too.

View attachment 612701

Wow travis, the Taylor 300 series is fantastic...I love both sapele/spruce and blackwood/mahogany options.
Way out of my range for accoustic but my teacher had 2 and loved their sound espec. with mic & little amplification.

You should do more guitar pr0n....then I don't just have to envy you for chips...but guitars too :)

Wow travis, the Taylor 300 series is fantastic...I love both sapele/spruce and blackwood/mahogany options.
Way out of my range for accoustic but my teacher had 2 and loved their sound espec. with mic & little amplification.

You should do more guitar pr0n....then I don't just have to envy you for chips...but guitars too :)
Here’s a thread I started. I should update it with more pics.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...share-your-gear-pr0n-here.31017/#post-1105105

Agreed.. Have a Taylor 314ce and it is great playing/sounding guitar.

Guitar thread:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/guitars-you-own.57083/

Hope you are having fun @Lemonzest

Dude, I am having the time of my life. I feel like I have rediscovered something amazing. Going back and getting back into all the old music I used to love as a kid: Alice in Chains, Radiohead, and The Cure.

Sounds corny as fuck but I really needed COVID to make me slow down and regain connection with myself.

I have also gone down the black hole of pedals. I want them all. I spend way way too much time watching all the JHS videos on Youtube. I absolutely love his channel.

Acoustic >>> electric.
Buy a Taylor /thread :tup:

I have a Yamaha acoustic that was probably around $200 that I got as a teenager. I have played that guitar on and off for the last 20+ years. It sounds great for what it is. I have probably played 90% acoustic in my life and it will always be my first love.

Now that I am taking guitar more seriously I am toying with the idea of getting a nice acoustic-electric that I can possibly gig with down the road. This is a touchy problem to solve. Very rarely do acoustic guitars sound good when plugged into a sound system. Also since there is much less effects/modulation done to the acoustic sound I can justify spending more money on an acoustic. I mean even a kinda crappy electric can sound awesome when run through a distortion pedal and a good amp. Acoustics are much less forgiving.

I want my acoustic budget to be 1k but I fear to get what I want might be closer to 2k.

I am interested in the acoustic Billy Corgan uses (eye roll, how much of a fanboy is this Lemon guy?)

He has a signature Yamaha guitar. I don't need the signature version but I am interested in this guitar as it has no switches or controls on the guitar itself. In his words, "you just plug it in and it sounds great".

I have always hated fiddling around with those switches and it often just sounds shit anyway.

Interested in any feedback on buying a good sounding acoustic-electric.

I have a Yamaha acoustic that was probably around $200 that I got as a teenager. I have played that guitar on and off for the last 20+ years. It sounds great for what it is. I have probably played 90% acoustic in my life and it will always be my first love.

Now that I am taking guitar more seriously I am toying with the idea of getting a nice acoustic-electric that I can possibly gig with down the road. This is a touchy problem to solve. Very rarely do acoustic guitars sound good when plugged into a sound system. Also since there is much less effects/modulation done to the acoustic sound I can justify spending more money on an acoustic. I mean even a kinda crappy electric can sound awesome when run through a distortion pedal and a good amp. Acoustics are much less forgiving.

I want my acoustic budget to be 1k but I fear to get what I want might be closer to 2k.

I am interested in the acoustic Billy Corgan uses (eye roll, how much of a fanboy is this Lemon guy?)

He has a signature Yamaha guitar. I don't need the signature version but I am interested in this guitar as it has no switches or controls on the guitar itself. In his words, "you just plug it in and it sounds great".

I have always hated fiddling around with those switches and it often just sounds shit anyway.

I love that you regained old love...playing is so rewarding when you master new things.
But just one thing...don't buy too much in short time (espec. axes) and try to master your new guitar before switching to other stuff.
This will be nefast for progression and you will burn out.

This was great advice from my teacher after I went on a crazy guitar safari and spend north of 10K in less then 6 months.
He envied some of my things...but I envied him much more for the fact that he could play a $100 guitar better then I could any of my 2K ones.
And while money can bring many good things...it will never ever ever make you a beter player.

Skill sets like that are all about hard work & practice...expensive guitars don't play themselfs
So it's a leveled playing field for all...no matter how much money or relations one has.

But again, LOVE that you found back that old love :tup:

Last edited:
But again, LOVE that you found back that old love :tup:

Yes, it is a pleasure. I have no idea where this new motivation came from but I am scared of losing it! You are totally right about gear acquisition not being a substitute for good playing - its all in the hands! Hendrix could plug a shitty $100 dollar strat straight into an amp with no effects and completely shred.

The Yamaha acoustic and Fender Squier I have are both from high school era back in the 90s. My plan is to buy 1 higher end electric (done) and now just debating buying the higher end acoustic. I will probably play for a while and then use the acoustic as a reward for when I have upped my skills a bit.

Likewise, I am interested in a bigger amp suitable for gigging but that will be a reward down the road when my ability justifies the purchase.

I've found that when it comes to "getting what you pay for" on acoustic guitars, there's a pretty steady increase in quality up until you get to about the $2,000 level for most of the big named brands. This gets you all the hard woods you want in the body, flawless fretboards, high end hardware for your tuners, bridges, pickups, etc. But above the $2000 level, you're usually just paying for stuff like mother of pearl inlays in the fretboard, or ivory saddles made from mammoth tusks, bridges made from petrified beaver tails, or some shit like that lol.

It's different obviously for some of the higher end handmade customs like some of the Santa Cruz guitars (I fucking love those things), but I think it's mostly true for the Martins, Taylors, Yamahas, Seagulls, Gibsons, etc.

Personally, when it comes to acoustics, I prefer something with a built-in pickup system (Takamine come to mind as a personal favorite) & mostly for one reason.... Recording.

My personal favorite recording "trick" for getting a nice full stereo recording of an acoustic track for something like a ballad, is to double-track it using both the usual mic plus the pickup output. Pan one left & the other right. Then take the reverb for each of those tracks & pan that opposite. (left track's reverb panned right & vice-versa).

You can get a similar effect with 2 mics & 2 different placements, but it's not as effective.

I’m a big fan of Yamaha acoustic guitars. They’re a great value. I just bought one for my son less than a year ago. Now I don’t have to lend him my Martin.

20210323_084943.jpg

Thread update: So my Corgan signature Reverend has been on back order since December. Apparently Reverend sold through their entire inventory and now everything takes ages to get. Pictured is my little setup which has been plenty for me to practice with. I took my 20+ year old Squier to a local guy and got it properly setup and new guts put in. Sounds great to my ears.

I did buy the Spark amp but ended up selling it shortly after. IMO that amp is way too bass heavy. I also found the presets and the way the EQ works kind of confusing. I don't have patience for fiddling with that stuff so much prefer the simple UI of the THR series of amps. Also IMO the THR series of amps sounds way better than the Spark. I have only been back "into" guitar for a few months but it didn't take long to become a tone snob right out of the gate.

Pictured above is the THR10x which is the "high gain" version of the THR series which is now discontinued.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom