Help me buy a guitar (2 Viewers)

Which guitar brand should I buy?

• Total voters

Lemonzest

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I am in the market to buy a new electric guitar after not really playing (electric) since the late 90s. Being stuck at home is getting to me and I am thinking maybe its time to relive my youth and learn how to play some of those amazing rock anthems.

I have played my old cheap acoustic I got back in the 90s on and off for the past few decades (damn I feel old saying that). Recently, I have started browsing Reverb.com and kind of getting "into" vintage guitars. I would like to buy an electric guitar either new or vintage but I am just totally overwhelmed with all the options and my lack of knowledge. I have been watching youtube videos over the past few days trying to build a knowledge base of electric guitars. I have learned a lot but I am still unclear about what makes 1 guitar so expensive versus another one that looks near identical.

I have heard very good things about the Yamaha Pacifica but I kinda feel like that guitar is "soul less" while being technically a near perfect instrument.

I do like the Gibsons but they are a bit pricey. If I went Gibson I would lean toward a vintage model since I would be scared to play/damage a new one. I also like the history/vintage aspect.

I like the styling of Gretsch so I am interested in their hollow body options.

Ibanez seems to have very nice guitars technically but also the brand seems "soul less" a bit IMO. I dunno prove me wrong.

I like the styling of the Telecaster and there seem to be many good vintage options out there.

How do I decide?! I would appreciate people's feedback on what guitar and amp I should get for home use. Probably most focused on playing blues/rock/metal.

I don't know what to say in regards to budget. I guess under 2k but I would feel better spending 600 or so lol. I guess I am kinda viewing this from the collector lens. I want to own something cool/interesting/beautiful first and foremost. I go through phases where I play tons and then other times when I don't. I want to love the guitar and also have something that holds its value so I don't mind spending 3k if I can just sell it again later.

TIA

PS I am not really interested in owning Epiphone or cheap Fender knock offs, or any SG style guitars with the double cutout.

PPS Hard pass on anything made in China. I think they have done quite enough. *cough cough*

Last edited:
One advantage to the cheap knock offs is you can try out different kinds of guitars and see what you like, then buy a good version of that. If you get one you don't like, it's easy to flip it on craigslist. I bought a few guitars a couple years ago and have them hanging up around the piano at home to try to entice my kids to try guitar lessons at some point. It didn't work so far - my son plays percussion in band at school now. :LOL: :laugh: But I got a cheap little Fender Strat, an Ibanez bass, and couple cheap amps, plus I've got my old acoustic from 30 years ago. My one and only pedal so far is a Boss DS-1. Figured that was a good place to start. Fun to grab one and jam sometimes. I'd love to get an Epiphone SG for the collection someday. I'm a terrible guitar player though.

When I started playing I was determined that I wouldn’t be another boring Stratocaster player so I started off with Les Paul knock-offs then an Epiphone Sheraton, then a Fender Telecaster and finally tried a boring Stratocaster.

I now own three strats :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I listened to my favourite musicians and then looked into what guitars they played on my favourite tracks. Just about all of them played a strat on my favourite track even the guys that you associate with Gibson.

Best advice I can give is... get samples :LOL: :laugh:

Failing that see if you can get to demo different models. You’ll probably find that one just feels right.

65B5DC66-54FA-49AF-BE5F-BC62C91D01FF.jpeg

About 15 years ago with my Japanese Strat. Bought it from a pawn shop for £350. It still rocks.

Last edited:
When I started playing I was determined that I wouldn’t be another boring Stratocaster player so I started off with Les Paul knock-offs then an Epiphone Sheraton, then a Fender Telecaster and finally tried a boring Stratocaster.

I listened to my favourite musicians and then looked into what guitars they played on my favourite tracks. Just about all of them played a strat on my favourite track even the guys that you associate with Gibson.

Failing that see if you can get to demo different models. You’ll probably find that one just feels right.
I'm in the opposite boat - I own a Fender Telecaster, but realized that all of my favorite guitarists/sounds played Gibson LPs haha.

I've been looking at pickup up a used Les Paul Studio lately - seems like bang for buck that would satisfy my needs, I don't care as much about collectibility as just a full bodied Les Paul sound.

I like the Fender classic series 50’s strat or tele given your taste and budget. They run anywhere from $600-$800 depending if they are used or new. I picked up a 50’s classic series strat a couple years ago and it’s a lot of fun to pick up and play without worrying about knocking it around too much. This is a good demo of the guitar on youtube to give you an idea.

I'm in the opposite boat - I own a Fender Telecaster, but realized that all of my favorite guitarists/sounds played Gibson LPs haha.

I've been looking at pickup up a used Les Paul Studio lately - seems like bang for buck that would satisfy my needs, I don't care as much about collectibility as just a full bodied Les Paul sound.
I’ve got an Epiphone Les Paul that I had rewired and put Bareknuckle pups in. The sound is out of this world. The pups and wiring cost £300 so still cheaper than a Gibson but it sounds better than most Gibsons I’ve heard.

20201208_135407.jpg

I forgot to add in OP that I also own this old knock off Fender guitar. This is what I mean of the stuff I am not interested in. They are cheap knock offs made in China. I am totally cool with and interested in made in USA versions of the Tele or Strat.

From what I have learned and browsing Reverb the best value is with used GIbson Studios. Again I am super fucking ignorant but thats what the guitar guys on Youtube say :)

I love this amp for practicing at home. It comes with a bunch of built-in effects and is perfect if you are just looking to mess around at home and not play any gigs or anything. It’s marketed as a “third amp” meaning something a guitarist might plug into on the tour bus to work on some ideas and not something for the full band practice room or arena. You’d be surprised by the quality of this thing. Yamaha THR-10.
1C0EE0AC-C834-4542-9D2D-C604B3418340.jpeg

About 15 years ago with my Japanese Strat. Bought it from a pawn shop for £350. It still rocks.

I am not against picking up a nice Strat or Tele. I don't think they are boring. I actually really like both of the designs/styling. Incredibly iconic so I am cool with those. I really like the tobacco finish on the teles.

I love this amp for practicing at home. It comes with a bunch of built-in effects and is perfect if you are just looking to mess around at home and not play any gigs or anything. It’s marketed as a “third amp” meaning something a guitarist might plug into on the tour bus to work on some ideas and not something for the full band practice room or arena. You’d be surprised by the quality of this thing. Yamaha THR-10.
View attachment 589355

I love the look of this amp. To the top of my amp list! I also like that it is Yamaha.

I’ve got an Epiphone Les Paul that I had rewired and put Bareknuckle pups in. The sound is out of this world. The pups and wiring cost £300 so still cheaper than a Gibson but it sounds better than most Gibsons I’ve heard.
Agreed. An Epi Les Paul is still a Les Paul...with more economical parts and materials.
I agree with maybe getting a more inexpensive one to start so you know where to better focus your attention.
Or, do like chipping...buy and sell and buy and sell... :LOL: :laugh:

If you want a “Les Paul” style bodied guitar check out a Fernandes Monterey. Looks like Fernandes USA has closed up shop, but I’m sure there are a ton floating around. I had one years ago and loved it.

I love this amp for practicing at home. It comes with a bunch of built-in effects and is perfect if you are just looking to mess around at home and not play any gigs or anything. It’s marketed as a “third amp” meaning something a guitarist might plug into on the tour bus to work on some ideas and not something for the full band practice room or arena. You’d be surprised by the quality of this thing.
View attachment 589355
I’ve got this wee dynamo. I told the girlfriend that this is the most fun you can have with batteries. She disagreed...

Okay please help me out here. My impression of Epi is that they are a crappy brand that just knocks off Gibson guitars. This idea is from around 1998 and hasn't been updated since then. Do I need to update my opinion and add Epi to my options?

It is just hard for me to get excited about a brand that is all about emulation if that makes sense.

Okay please help me out here. My impression of Epi is that they are a crappy brand that just knocks off Gibson guitars. This idea is from around 1998 and hasn't been updated since then. Do I need to update my opinion and add Epi to my options?

It is just hard for me to get excited about a brand that is all about emulation if that makes sense.
If you’re considering an Epiphone try and get one from 20 years ago that was made in Korea. Those were the best quality ones. They moved production to China around 2002 and the quality suffered.
I check out a lot of pawn shops as well. You can sometimes get a bargain. My Telecaster is a beat up looking thing but is a dream to play. My Japanese Strat in the picture above was another pawn shop find as was my Sheraton. I had to get them all set up and I spent a bit on a new nut or pots but the point is you can get a good guitar for a few hundred if you keep your eyes open.

Not true. Epiphone was purchased by Gibson in ‘57 and was a well respected brand. Some vintage Epiphones go for 20k+, especially the old hollow body guitars. The epiphone les paul’s are kind of like the mexican made strats that fender produces. They are entry level les paul style guitars for those that don’t want to drop 2-3k on a new guitar.

In addition, Gibson owns Epiphone and oversees specs, etc.
I will agree, the Chinese versions are inferior, but can be altered to perform and sound much better than out of the box.
I think buying an older Gibson over a new one is smart for the same reasons (there are exceptions, however).

If you’re considering an Epiphone try and get one from 20 years ago that was made in Korea. Those were the best quality ones. They moved production to China around 2002 and the quality suffered.
I check out a lot of pawn shops as well. You can sometimes get a bargain. My Telecaster is a beat up looking thing but is a dream to play. My Japanese Strat in the picture above was another pawn shop find as was my Sheraton. I had to get them all set up and I spent a bit on a new nut or pots but the point is you can get a good guitar for a few hundred if you keep your eyes open.

Thanks! And this is the exact insider info I want to build up. I want to go find cool stuff at pawn shops but you have to have a good base of knowledge to know when you have found something interesting. So I guess my follow up question is how do you know what is good and what isn't? Some telecasters are 100 and others are 3k ! Is it mainly just finding guitars that are not made in China?

I like the idea of a road worn tele and don't mind paying top dollar.

Thanks! And this is the exact insider info I want to build up. I want to go find cool stuff at pawn shops but you have to have a good base of knowledge to know when you have found something interesting. So I guess my follow up question is how do you know what is good and what isn't? Some telecasters are 100 and others are 3k ! Is it mainly just finding guitars that are not made in China?

The $100 ones are MIM (made in Mexico) and the $3k ones are USA...better craftsmanship, parts and materials...but the price tag shows it. Not that you can’t get a great player from a MIM guitar, but you’ll feel and hear the difference in a US made Fender

You really cant go wrong with a USA Fender Strat. Rock, Jazz, or Blues, you got it man! Just ask John Mayer :)

You probably won’t know until you hold the guitar and see the build quality up close. And the most important thing is the sound. Have you played a Telecaster before? I find them really uncomfortable to play sitting down whereas a Strat is moulded to fit the body. If you practice standing up then no issues.

This is a great clip about a man and his love for his strat...

Vintage guitars from the 50’s and early 60’s were typically made with better overall quality and not mass produced to the level that they are today. Also, like poker chips, they become collector’s items which drives the price up even more. They were finished with a nitrocellulose lacquer which ages over time and gives the guitar that “road worn” look that you won’t get from a polyester finish.

But a few points real quick:

What kind of music do you play?That would inform my recommendations.

There are some brands that I feel confident buying sight unseen, depending on the retailer, others that are more hit-and-miss.

Reverend is my favorite brand of electric guitars. New street price either side of $1000, great quality, good components, cool modern/vintage hybrid aesthetic, and a wide range of styles, pickups, etc. From my initial read of what you like, I’d recommend the Charger 290, Jetstream 290, or Contender 290.

Thanks for letting me help you spend your money! :D

You probably won’t know until you hold the guitar and see the build quality up close. And the most important thing is the sound. Have you played a Telecaster before? I find them really uncomfortable to play sitting down whereas a Strat is moulded to fit the body. If you practice standing up then no issues.

This is a great clip about a man and his love for his strat...

I came *this* close to buying one of the new US Telecasters, they seemed to have addressed the main complaints about the body. They now have a large cutout on the back belly area and have rounded over the front edge where your arm hits it.
Granted, it doesn’t feel like a Strat, but it’s SO much better than the old Tele’s.

But a few points real quick:

What kind of music do you play?That would inform my recommendations.

There are some brands that I feel confident buying sight unseen, depending on the retailer, others that are more hit-and-miss.

Reverend is my favorite brand of electric guitars. New street price either side of $1000, great quality, good components, cool modern/vintage hybrid aesthetic, and a wide range of styles, pickups, etc. From my initial read of what you like, I’d recommend the Charger 290, Jetstream 290, or Contender 290.

Thanks for letting me help you spend your money! :D

Mainly play rock/blues/metal. All advice is appreciated. I will look into Reverend - thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom