Help Me Build My New RYZEN Computer [2020 edition]

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
My Intel i7-3930 LGA 2011 build is in its 8th year of (damn near close to continuous) operation, and starting to see some serious slow-downs. Photo-editing is taking way too much time, and so I've decided to pull the trigger with a new build.

It will be built around the AMD Ryzen, either Ryzen 7 3800x or the Ryzen 9 3900x. Primary use will be photo-editing in Lightroom and Photoshop, and some light video-editing.

I haven't done a build since that LGA 2011, so I'm a little rusty on some of these things and need some advice. I definitely want to stick with an ASUS board, 64GB of RAM (minimum), and a Corsair all-in-one fluid cooler.
• As for power supplies, exact mobo model, exact RAM models, and case -- I'm a bit lost. HELP! :)
• GPU must be able to support 3 high-resolution monitors.
• Win10 will be the OS.

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions?

dimperdoo

Pair
Reaction score
i put together a ryzen PC last summer. ryzen 3 2200 3.5GHz 16 GB memory. ~chose the asrock B450M-PRO mobo because i wanted 2 NVMe hard drives. i made a mistake not choosing SATA 3 for them because it only finds the primary drive. i'll upgrade the 2nd one once it becomes a priority. NVMe is cool, the drive just plugs in to & sits flat on the mobo w/ no additional connections & it's a very fast protocol

had a ton of frustration at first because a memory module was problematic. it would randomly crash. sometimes it'd work an hour or so but sometimes it wouldn't even boot before it crashed. figured it out & bought some different memory to change those out.

i built it to upgrade from my intel rig (core 2 duo 3GHz 8 GB memory) which had a lot of drops, clicks & pops when i'd record & while playing through it (i like to silent record plugging my guitar in to the interface & listening through headphones ~sometimes i'll just play that way too) i needed something with the resources to get past that latency.

the ryzen rig is blazing fast. zero latency issues recording or playing. i've done a little video editing playing around & didn't notice any problems but, that's also not my realm. photoshop loads fast & runs fine on my intel rig.

what you're talking about doing should future proof you for a little while being overkill for what you're planning. i guess i'm saying to try NVMe & make sure you get SATA 3

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
i put together a ryzen PC last summer. ryzen 3 2200 3.5GHz 16 GB memory. ~chose the asrock B450M-PRO mobo because i wanted 2 NVMe hard drives. i made a mistake not choosing SATA 3 for them because it only finds the primary drive. i'll upgrade the 2nd one once it becomes a priority. NVMe is cool, the drive just plugs in to & sits flat on the mobo w/ no additional connections & it's a very fast protocol

had a ton of frustration at first because a memory module was problematic. it would randomly crash. sometimes it'd work an hour or so but sometimes it wouldn't even boot before it crashed. figured it out & bought some different memory to change those out.

i built it to upgrade from my intel rig (core 2 duo 3GHz 8 GB memory) which had a lot of drops, clicks & pops when i'd record & while playing through it (i like to silent record plugging my guitar in to the interface & listening through headphones ~sometimes i'll just play that way too) i needed something with the resources to get past that latency.

the ryzen rig is blazing fast. zero latency issues recording or playing. i've done a little video editing playing around & didn't notice any problems but, that's also not my realm. photoshop loads fast & runs fine on my intel rig.

what you're talking about doing should future proof you for a little while being overkill for what you're planning. i guess i'm saying to try NVMe & make sure you get SATA 3

Thanks for the write up! What’s NVMe??

200 Motels

Flush
Reaction score
For your power supply. A 650W should be fine but new egg and other sites have a "how much power will I need" calculator. Going overkill on the wattage is a waste. Spend extra money on a Gold certified power supply. In short, they're more efficient than Bronze or Silver. EVGA makes fine Power Supplies and they go on sale often. Also, you should start pulling triggers on all your parts soon as prices will increasing shortly as manufacturing is pretty much halted at most Chinese Tech manufacturers.

Balanar

Straight
Reaction score
For your power supply. A 650W should be fine but new egg and other sites have a "how much power will I need" calculator. Going overkill on the wattage is a waste. Spend extra money on a Gold certified power supply. In short, they're more efficient than Bronze or Silver. EVGA makes fine Power Supplies and they go on sale often. Also, you should start pulling triggers on all your parts soon as prices will increasing shortly as manufacturing is pretty much halted at most Chinese Tech manufacturers.

Yup this. Here's a video that sheds some light on the issue:

Top Bottom