Help in Building Multi-Stakes Cash Game Set - Calculating Set Size? (1 Viewer)

card_shart

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I finally got a table and have been conferring the classic thread (https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ut-a-cash-game-chip-set-5c-10c-to-5-10.30897/) in trying to build a cash game set. I think there is some math I'm missing for color-ups, and I don't think I'll ever be able to get anyone to play higher than a deep NL100. I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the recommended amount of $5's is 400 and so high compared to the others... would someone be able to check my math here and help explain how I could figure out the amount needed for color ups/keeping stacks relatively even? There might be something I'm missing here.

I'd want to have a good spread so I can bring some more friends into the game and be able to start some people off small, change stakes as the night goes on and the crowd changes, etc.

I'm also on the fence on even throwing the 5c/5c game in there, but I have a lot of friends who are interested in learning the game but I don't want to price them out of it. I also wouldn't be opposed to getting more chips to add in $1/$2 down the road if I can save up some more and see where the game goes, but I'm trying to be relatively efficient while keeping the stacks in neat and even sizes. I doubt we'll have more than 8 players in a night. I already let everyone know I'd like to keep the buyins at 100b/200bb so the cashier/racking job is easier and avoid anyone being tempted to short stack, etc., we all agreed to trying to play deeper with a straddle where we can but keep the budget low enough for multiple rebuys throughout the night.

Below is what I've come up with so far.

5c/5c
5c/10c
10c/25c
25c/50c
50c/$1
$5 Min Buy In
20x 5c ($1)
12x 25c ($3)
1x $1 ($1)
$10 Min Buy In
20x 5c ($1)
20x 25c ($5)
4x $1 ($4)
$25 Min Buy In
10x 5c ($0.50)
18x 25c ($4.50)
20x $1 (20)
$50 Min Buy In
20x 25c ($5)
20 $1 ($20)
5x $5 ($25)
$100 Min Buy In
20x 25c ($5)
20x $1 ($20)
10x $5 ($50)
1x $25 ($25)
$10 Max Buy In
20x 5c ($1)
20x 25c ($5)
4x $1 ($4)
$20 Max Buy In
20x 5c ($1)
40x 25c ($10)
9x $1 ($9)
$50 Max Buy In
10x 5c ($0.50)
18x 25c ($4.50)
20x $1 ($20)
5x $5 ($25)
$100 Max Buy In
20x 25c ($5)
20 $1 ($20)
10x $5 ($50)
1x $25 ($25)
$200 Max Buy In
20x 25c ($5)
20x $1 ($20)
20x $5 ($100)
3x $25 ($75)

Total chips required for 10 players @ 200BB buy-ins + Color Ups: ????
I know just adding up the totals here wouldn't take into account things needed for recommended amount of extras, rebuys, color-ups, etc.

For reference, here is what is recommended from the other thread:
200x 5c
220x 25c
220x $1
400x $5
(This confuses me the most - definitely seems weighted to use in $1/$2, but maybe I'm wrong)
80x $25
20x $100
1140 chips total, $6285 bank

I'm still not sure how to calculate the amount needed for color ups/rebuys relatively efficiently. Right now I'm just tempted to go with the recommended layout in the second pinned comment with some extra barrels so I can keep things nice, even, and help me avoid trying to figure this out... but, I have a hard time seeing why I would need 400 in reds. My guess is I'm missing a serious key aspect of chip stack math... math was never my strong suit. 5c/10c and 10/25c will likely be the most common game, but I wanted the flexibility to move up a couple stakes if needed and down to give some friends cheap exposure to poker that isn't play money shove fests.

Here's two key concepts to consider:

First, cash games don't need "starting stacks". It's fine to have different players buy in for different amounts, and it's fine for each player's initial buy-in to be composed of a different breakdown. As an example, a common practice is to hand out a barrel of quarters to each of the first five players, then hand out no quarters to players who buy-in after that. They can make change at the table as needed to get however many quarters they need, and the quarters will move around the table as pots get won and lost. This puts 100 quarters in play, which is between 10 and 20 per player for five to ten players, which is sufficient for most people's preferences.

Second, when players rebuy, consider whether you'd rather have them get a small number of large chips, or a large number of small chips. Different people on PCF have different preferences here. Some think that the stacks you hand out when people buy in initially contain the right number of small and medium chips, and so later rebuys shouldn't change that balance and so should use large chips exclusively. Others think that as more money goes on the table, the physical presence of the chips in play should increase as well, and so rebuys should be given out in small and medium chips so that the table looks like it has more money. It's purely a matter of preference. That might explain, however, why the page you referred to recommends so many $5s - some people like to pile the table high with $5s and so those are used for rebuys, even though it would be more efficient chip-wise to give out rebuys in $100s.

Welcome to the forum! Have fun figuring out how many chips you want to buy. :)

Here's two key concepts to consider:

First, cash games don't need "starting stacks". It's fine to have different players buy in for different amounts, and it's fine for each player's initial buy-in to be composed of a different breakdown. As an example, a common practice is to hand out a barrel of quarters to each of the first five players, then hand out no quarters to players who buy-in after that. They can make change at the table as needed to get however many quarters they need, and the quarters will move around the table as pots get won and lost. This puts 100 quarters in play, which is between 10 and 20 per player for five to ten players, which is sufficient for most people's preferences.

Second, when players rebuy, consider whether you'd rather have them get a small number of large chips, or a large number of small chips. Different people on PCF have different preferences here. Some think that the stacks you hand out when people buy in initially contain the right number of small and medium chips, and so later rebuys shouldn't change that balance and so should use large chips exclusively. Others think that as more money goes on the table, the physical presence of the chips in play should increase as well, and so rebuys should be given out in small and medium chips so that the table looks like it has more money. It's purely a matter of preference. That might explain, however, why the page you referred to recommends so many $5s - some people like to pile the table high with $5s and so those are used for rebuys, even though it would be more efficient chip-wise to give out rebuys in $100s.

Welcome to the forum! Have fun figuring out how many chips you want to buy. :)
Thank you! This is great advice. I've started crunching the numbers to see what I can start off with - being realistic, probably just 5c/10c and 10c/25c for now.

Here's what I came up with for a max of 8 players:
100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
160 x $5
40 x $25

Does this seem about right? I'm guessing we'll have 6-8 per night, 2-3 buy ins per person and hopefully enough flexibility to go up to 10 people if needed assuming not everyone rebuys/buys in max.

This would leave me well within my budget for the chairs, some minor renovations to the garage, and I can always add on later depending on how everything plays and if anyone wants to play higher limits.

Here's what I came up with for a max of 8 players:
100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
160 x $5
40 x $25
You only need 100 more chips to cover up to 50/$1 stake that you are looking for

100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25
20 x $100

Does this seem about right? I'm guessing we'll have 6-8 per night, 2-3 buy ins per person and hopefully enough flexibility to go up to 10 people if needed assuming not everyone rebuys/buys in max.
I always prepare up to 5 rebuy / person for micro stake as they tend to play way more loose and call All In at a much higher frequent rate & 3 rebuy / person for regular stake

Last edited:
You only need 100 more chips to cover up to 50/$1 stake that you are looking for

100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25
20 x $100

I always prepare up to 5 rebuy / person for micro stake as they tend to play way more loose and call All In at a much frequent rate & 3 rebuy / person for regular stake
I agree and suggest going this route. This breakdown will give you a much more flexible chip bank. One and done unless you start with tournament's, regular 1/2 or more.

100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25
20 x $100

I always prepare up to 5 rebuy / person for micro stake as they tend to play way more loose and call All In at a much frequent rate & 3 rebuy / person for regular stake
I agree and suggest going this route. This breakdown will give you a much more flexible chip bank. One and done unless you start with tournament's, regular 1/2 or more.
Thank you both! This makes a lot of sense. This is what I'll go with to start out.

100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25
20 x $100

I always prepare up to 5 rebuy / person for micro stake as they tend to play way more loose and call All In at a much higher frequent rate & 3 rebuy / person for regular stake
I’ve read where 5c/10c and 10c/25c are the most common micro stakes. What are the common regular stakes typically used? When are low stakes considered mid stakes? Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom