Help identifying these chips (1 Viewer)

HughDrackman

Two Pair
Reaction score
I was at an antique mall earlier today, and I came across these old chips. They were labeled “Bag of Vintage Clay Poker Chips.” They are mustard yellow, and appear to be “hot stamped” (I use that term loosely) with $5.00 on one side, and “H & W” on the other.

They appear to have all the markings of clay chips. They have a circular mold with an inside and outside ring, and the centers all seem to be uniform.

Whoever has these last didn’t treat them very well at all. Some appear to have burn marks on them, and the hot stamps are very faded on some of the chips.

Any idea what their story might be? I paid $30 for 42 total chips. There was another baggie of mixed red and blue chips in the same display case that had the “H & W” stamped on one side, but no denominations at all.
6E11AD18-8B2B-4F3B-AEFE-B941AF8EC712.jpeg
4BD48304-EC41-4AE1-8FB2-288B6DD3F587.jpeg

Nice! So they were these mass produced chips that people customized?
I mean, the chips were mass produced in the 30s and 40s and then sold to the public. Most were probably sold to individuals, small card rooms and illegal establishments, or to like Elks Lodges or their equivalent. I had a bunch of them that I sold to @Josh Kifer

Anyone think it’s worth it to go back for the red and blue chips? They looked like they were from the same mold as these yellows.

I mean, the chips were mass produced in the 30s and 40s and then sold to the public. Most were probably sold to individuals, small card rooms and illegal establishments, or to like Elks Lodges or their equivalent. I had a bunch of them that I sold to @Josh Kifer
They clean up nicely!

Anyone think it’s worth it to go back for the red and blue chips? They looked like they were from the same mold as these yellows.
I think it’s always nice to keep chips together that belong together. But honestly, unless you find a collector obsessed with H & W, these chips would be worth less than you paid for them per chip even if you had a playable set. So it’s up to you and how much you like them.

Thanks for the help everybody. I was thinking I could try to clean them up, then make an inlay for them, and relabel them as fracs. They could be a fun alternative in a small cash game.

Thanks for the help everybody. I was thinking I could try to clean them up, then make an inlay for them, and relabel them as fracs. They could be a fun alternative in a small cash game.
You'd have to mill them before adding a label. It looks like those don't have a recess for a label-over. Something to consider.

Cool, old chips though. :tup:

Somewhat rare mold for sure. Vintage clay chips. Moneywise i doubt you will ever get that much back if you are looking at reselling them, but it's a fun part of clay chip history to have sets on multiple vintage molds so worth whatever you think, kinda. Usually I think 10c/chip for these older random molds, but I might be a bit on the conservative side, and others might be willing to pay more.

These chips did, indeed clean up nice. They’re more of a bright yellow note instead of a mustard yellow. Some of them were too scorched to be saved, but my girlfriend said she can use those to make art, so win / win!
4C706C89-75CE-4C05-9B1A-FE9050452DDE.jpeg
A01CEEC1-06D6-4259-81B6-F67C23E998EA.jpeg

Thanks to everyone for all your help in at least identifying the mold. I’m still not sure what I want to do with these, but I want to do something.

Just FYI if you are looking for more of these, there is this lot available on FB marketplace:

About 510 chips for $250.

Too expensive for me, especially with international shipping but if you wanna build a full set somehow it could be a good option.

Pretty rare and old chips/mold. There's more info here if you are curious about the molds history.

Post in thread 'MD-55 Dots Mold' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/md-55-dots-mold.79699/post-1631480

received_1250684299047867.jpeg

received_824096561977694.jpeg

Just FYI if you are looking for more of these, there is this lot available on FB marketplace:

About 510 chips for $250.

Too expensive for me, especially with international shipping but if you wanna build a full set somehow it could be a good option.

Pretty rare and old chips/mold. There's more info here if you are curious about the molds history.

Post in thread 'MD-55 Dots Mold' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/md-55-dots-mold.79699/post-1631480

View attachment 1012981
View attachment 1012982
Great info! I’d entertain a purchase of just the yellows of the price was right. I tried looking on FB marketplace, but couldn’t find them. Maybe it’s the algorithm that doesn’t want me to inquire about a purchase.

I’ll go home tonight and check to see if mine have that small “S” next to the mold.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom