Help identifying ceramic chip manufacturer (1 Viewer)

Potsie1

Full House
Site Vendor
Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up just over 5k of these custom ceramics from Rubicon International(educational firm) in Portland Oregon. According to the associates the very eccentric CEO had them made for a company party years ago and theyve been sitting in storage since.

They weigh 10g. Print quality is decent but have a glossy rolling edge that also spreads to the surface forming a ring.

Also interested in any observations on the graphics as they seem to have easter eggs throughout.

1k-?
5k- any idea what the symbol means?
25k-two pencils in design
100k- osxi(operating system)? Armadillo also on 500k.
500k-globe and armadillo
1mil- says rubicon and globe

20180826_155711.jpg

20180826_164930.jpg

20180826_165414.jpg

Look like icon. To my knowledge they are the only ones that use that cap style insert on one side.

Edit...actually look like sunflys....I have a set with the same textured surface.

I think the 5k has the symbol for Japanese currency (mon) used in from 1300s to 1870 and is combined with the Japanese rising sun flag.

I guess it's obvious but the 100k & 500k are James Bond "gun barrel" sequence. The 500k looks to be from earlier bond movies, the 100k isn't from the movie but may have been made as a poster.

The armadillo is from the logo of Rubicon's Altas product. I think it's an old logo:
SMRubiconAtlas_sm.jpg

The pencils and shield logo is killing me - I'm sure I've seen it before somewhere...

I think the 5k has the symbol for Japanese currency (mon) used in from 1300s to 1870 and is combined with the Japanese rising sun flag.

I guess it's obvious but the 100k & 500k are James Bond "gun barrel" sequence. The 500k looks to be from earlier bond movies, the 100k isn't from the movie but may have been made as a poster.

The armadillo is from the logo of Rubicon's Altas product. I think it's an old logo:
SMRubiconAtlas_sm.jpg

The pencils and shield logo is killing me - I'm sure I've seen it before somewhere...
Wow nice work!

This is a crazy/cool set. Somebody put a lot of design thought and effort into it. Several chips are way outside the box for poker chip design, and perfect for a ceramic chip application. That $5000 chip is just nuts. Incredible how different they all are from one another, yet still fit well together somehow.

The pencils and shield remind me of GOT. Might be a Rubicon product or logo from 10 years ago? I'd guess that os xi is OS #11, whatever OS stands for. Could be anything (although unlikely an operating system imo), including a product, or a recurring meeting/seminar, or who-knows-what.

Have you tried contacting the company for details?

This is a crazy/cool set. Somebody put a lot of design thought and effort into it. Several chips are way outside the box for poker chip design, and perfect for a ceramic chip application. That $5000 chip is just nuts. Incredible how different they all are from one another, yet still fit well together somehow.

The pencils and shield remind me of GOT. Might be a Rubicon product or logo from 10 years ago? I'd guess that os xi is OS #11, whatever OS stands for. Could be anything (although unlikely an operating system imo), including a product, or a recurring meeting/seminar, or who-knows-what.

Have you tried contacting the company for details?
Yes I tried contacting the company but haven't heard back. Really just the OSXI is the mystery. I had a friend who speaks japanese translate the 5k. It has a few meanings...writing....language....letters. this would make sense as an educational reference. Maybe they had a large contract in Japan. Thanks everyone for the help. It's been fun.

This set reminds me that there is still some unexplored design space in ceramic chips. Really neat chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom