Help! - I finally found some Black Starbursts but... (1 Viewer)

I was not paying close enough attention to realize that EVERY one of the chips were affected in this manner. Intriguing....

I like the theory! The squares look definitely the right size.
However, every one of the chips has this, but only on one side. Can’t imagine each chip came in contact with the square, and never both sides of the same chip.
Yep. This is my problem as well. Such an interesting theory but the quantity of affected ones in my rack vs not just doesn’t seem to match up. I’d also expect the odd ‘both sides’ chip that got put away both ways for long periods of time.

Unless my rack was the cast-offs from some serious cherry-picking...I’m struggling to buy in despite how much it seems it could be plausible.

Also maybe worth noting again...the color INSIDE the square matches true black for me...the actual discoloration seems out be OUTSIDE the square. So it’s like the part ‘covered’ by something squareish was protected...and the rest was damaged...vs the other way around.

Not an expert, but from what I've seen, the hot stampers are relatively small machines, and use the image relief on a square block mounted to the press, and often done a single side at a time. So it could be that wrong settings, adjustments, or manufacturing allowed the stamp block to as a whole to affect the chip and not just the design being stamped.

Again, just guessing.
Just to update this thread, I saw the post from @AK Chip showing one of the dies, and it looks like your theory may be the answer.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cpc-hotstamp-pricing-question.78125/post-1594987

I'll bet the die block is either overheated, or too close to the chip during stamping, or a bit of both. That sure would explain the "melted" surface inside the square.

I gotta say…looking at the picture of the die I can certainly buy it!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom