Help a UK Chipper Find His Perfect $5, Please! (1 Viewer)

jr8719

Full House
Reaction score
Hi all,

Am in the process of building my first Paulson cash set; 0.25 / 0.25 blinds, with a brighter-the-better, non-traditional colour scheme. We currently have JACK $25 primaries to be relabeled as 0.25s, using the JACK labels from Gear that will have my UK city name one.

We will then have these Reno Nuggets as our $1, again with the JACK label.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a $5?

Traditional red might be fine, but I'm thinking of something a bit different, truth be told. Two to three barrels needed, as I have cash bricks for $25s, too.

I am really close to pulling the trigger on these, which are currently on eBay and in mint condition.

Would give me this line-up.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome, as ever.

Are you familiar with THC vs RHC?

I would go with another RHC chip in place of the THC FLV. Maybe S&K $5?

@jr8719 it looks like you’re going for a Cali color set with the chips colors you chose.

That’s a tough road as yellow chips are in high demand and low supply. If you do choose to try for yellow chips, as stated previously I’d use a chip on the RHC mold to match your other chips. If you decide to use the more well known Vegas color scheme then you have plenty of options for red chips.

I’d recommend Grand Victoria secondary $5s, unless you plan on murder versus a label over. Then I’d stay away from them :)

Last edited:
Are you familiar with THC vs RHC?

I would go with another RHC chip in place of the THC FLV. Maybe S&K $5?

Hmmm, not hugely familiar with those acronyms, no... I know THC means Top Hat and Cane, but no idea on RHC, FLV or S&K?

@jr8719 it looks like you’re going for a Cali color set with the chips colors you chose.

That’s a tough road as yellow chips are in high demand and low supply. If you do choose to try for yellow chips, as stated previously I’d use a chip on the RHC mold to match your other chips. If you decide to use the more well known Vegas color scheme then you have plenty of options for red chips.

I’d recommend Grand Victoria secondary $5s, unless you plan on murder versus a label over. Then I’d stay away from them :)

Yeah, it's going to be a label over job... And I take it those yellow Fabulous Las Vegas ones don't take a label over too easily? I have no plans on murdering or inlay removal and replacement.

Roadhouse $500 would be cool
the Detroit Jack $5s are bright and an auction going for 100 now
Tonkawa $5s are on an auction now as well

Hmmm, not hugely familiar with those acronyms, no... I know THC means Top Hat and Cane, but no idea on RHC, FLV or S&K?
These are acronyms referring to the mold the chip is pressed in. Those FLVs (Fabulous Las Vegas) are a different mold than your 1 and your .25. If you look at those two chips next to each other (in the last pic of your initial post), they're both on the RHC mold. That mold has a larger inlay, and does not have the circle border on the outside of the top hat & cane emblems that the FLV chip has. You'll also notice that of the eight emblems on the RHC chips, two of them have the cane pointed in the opposite direction from the other six, which is why they call it the "reverse hat & cane" (RHC) mold. From what I can tell, most chippers who have assembled custom sets from Paulson chips prefer to use the same mold throughout their sets. The Horseshoe Cincinnatis that you seem to have settled on are also RHC, so you're all good.

Incidentally, those FLVs are a THC mold chip. Looks to be the SCV (short cane version).

I say keep the chips as is. Find a frac and play as a mixed set. Relabeling the $25 as a frac would make for wonky spot progression

These are acronyms referring to the mold the chip is pressed in. Those FLVs (Fabulous Las Vegas) are a different mold than your 1 and your .25. If you look at those two chips next to each other (in the last pic of your initial post), they're both on the RHC mold. That mold has a larger inlay, and does not have the circle border on the outside of the top hat & cane emblems that the FLV chip has. You'll also notice that of the eight emblems on the RHC chips, two of them have the cane pointed in the opposite direction from the other six, which is why they call it the "reverse hat & cane" (RHC) mold. From what I can tell, most chippers who have assembled custom sets from Paulson chips prefer to use the same mold throughout their sets. The Horseshoe Cincinnatis that you seem to have settled on are also RHC, so you're all good.

Incidentally, those FLVs are a THC mold chip. Looks to be the SCV (short cane version).

Ahhhh, thanks for that, dude... Will print that off and keep it for my records and future reference, for sure!

I say keep the chips as is. Find a frac and play as a mixed set. Relabeling the $25 as a frac would make for wonky spot progression

I think I will wait until all the chips come to make a decision... I just love the green JACKs so much, I want to have them as a fraf as they are the chips that see the most play and won't have much need for a $25 chip in my game. Just out of interest, what is deemed to make a good spot progression?

I think I will wait until all the chips come to make a decision... I just love the green JACKs so much, I want to have them as a fraf as they are the chips that see the most play and won't have much need for a $25 chip in my game. Just out of interest, what is deemed to make a good spot progression?

Going from less complex to more complex spot patterns and colors on each successive denom

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom