Hello! (1 Viewer)

embiggens

Pair
Reaction score
The story of how I got back into playing poker.

I used to play in college and would host games. Bought a basic plastic no-denom chip set back then and kept it all these years. Recently, my friend asks if I’m interested in playing. Of course! I say and show him my plastic chip set. He looks at me smugly and invites me to his next game. He displays his CC Dunes set. I’m impressed and realize I just “showed off” my Fischer Price chip set.

Eventually, I start to think that I would like to host games. My friend offers me a deal to buy an Outlaws chipset and table topper. He has accumulated many chip sets at this point. I take one day to think about it and decide to do it. I say, “Yes, I will buy your chips/table”. “Deal’s off”, he replies. ”What?!” Yep, he rescinds the deal. Instead, he sends me links to Apache Poker and says I should buy the Pharaohs. So several hundred dollars later both to buy chips and lost at the poker table, I’ve learned that I can’t fully trust my friend. Especially when it comes to poker

Attachments

• 0CBDEDC1-E986-4525-AA28-D4E54651C85B.jpeg
    0CBDEDC1-E986-4525-AA28-D4E54651C85B.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 66
Hello and welcome!

Boy, what happens when you discover high end plastics? Or high end ceramics? Or real compression clays?

You can swallow the red pill and learn all you can from this forum, or take the blue pill and go away and save your wallet. There's no in between.

This is my old table topper and chip set from 18+ years ago.
813FEB88-1C6D-458F-8A1F-84F9ED5A76B9.jpeg

We played on cheap square folding tables so the topper would over hang. You couldn’t even rest arms on it or the topper would lever up and spill chips everywhere.

If you're satisfied with your current setup you should log off and never come back.

If you continue to proceed, you may find yourself trapped in a never ending blackhole.

Constant yearning for rarer, brighter, and more historic sets. You'll be competing with a growing pool of enthusiasts who will always have bigger wallets and greater determination.

It will become all consuming. You're better off finding a different addiction. Something easier to kick like meth or black tar heroin.

You've been warned.

Hello and welcome!

Boy, what happens when you discover high end plastics? Or high end ceramics? Or real compression clays?

You can swallow the red pill and learn all you can from this forum, or take the blue pill and go away and save your wallet. There's no in between.
Yes, thanks to PCF, I’ve learned more about high end chips. My friend (and actually another friend/host) has already bought custom CPC chips. Those are great, but my budget lives in the CC category which I’m a fan of.

Recently, I bought those CC Dunes from my friend in that very first game he showed me.
859B2AD7-367A-4B50-806A-1A7AA20D1EB2.jpeg

If you're satisfied with your current setup you should log off and never come back.

If you continue to proceed, you may find yourself trapped in a never ending blackhole.

Constant yearning for rarer, brighter, and more historic sets. You'll be competing with a growing pool of enthusiasts who will always have bigger wallets and greater determination.

It will become all consuming. You're better off finding a different addiction. Something easier to kick like meth or black tar heroin.

You've been warned.
That was the set up 18+years ago. For the past three years or so, I’ve been playing a tri-fold table topper. I put straight pins in the inner rail and attached fairy lights.
CD3C06DE-B05E-4C47-BB6F-A93E519BF9AE.jpeg
5E44A3A7-C596-48DB-A247-A2CC447EF017.jpeg

I even put a piece of poster board in middle panel for storage so the end cup holders wouldn’t indent the felt.
3DE0B9F4-3A6E-4537-B26E-0C4B95676C9D.jpeg

But the middle panel is beginning to warp so the surface is no longer even. So this set up is getting less and less appealing. Other host has built his own table. Originator host had a custom build from BBO poker. As goes with a common theme in PCF, I start to want to upgrade. . .

welcome!
chip evolution is divine... but tables with creases you need to stop ASAP.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom