Hello world. (1 Viewer)

Beaniman

Two Pair
Reaction score
Just now registered, been lurking for a few weeks. Not much to say other than I'm amazed by the amount of info I have already found here.

How I got here...
I used to host a game twice a week, nothing fancy 1/2 200 buyin table cap for several years. Fast forward a couple of overseas sea duty tours and I hadn't played in a long while. Recently found a regular game and realized how much I missed hosting and playing! So I needed to replace my Dice chips, obviously right?

Now I'm a little older and have more appreciation for nice things that make me happy, could care less if the guests like it! I quickly realized amazon had all kinds of chips and didn't know why some were 10¢ or 60¢ etc...

That's about when I found hobbyphilic youtube channel and consumed every video he has in an evening and a half. Most of them I've rewatched, then presto. I have a new hobby just waiting for all the fun price checking, research, education & min/maxing to join my long list of existing ones with the added bonus of facilitating more social gatherings and of course Poker.

Poker chips now join the ranks of Model painting /cigars /scotch /burbon /video games & such.

I'm ordering a fairly budget set of outlaws for some tournaments (dont want cash game chips use in tournaments) and trying to decide on a 500 starter of dropa discs vs dia de los mertos for a nicer set for cash.

Any recommendations or insight is always welcome. If I could ask two questions right away they would be; 1. are apollonchips dropa discs the same as brpro's? They are significantly cheaper and I only recently learned some companies offer different blanks. 2. What's the coolest random fact or thing you learned from here that you didn't expect or surprised you?

I agree completely, I am a firm believer you get what you pay for and am also looking into the possibility (if they will do it) of ordering two of the same ceramic sets from brpro with one in 43mm to keep tournament chips from finding their way into cash set.

That being said, hobbyphilic gave a pretty solid recommendation for the Outlaws as a leader in the budget category, and I can get a useable set (500) delivered by amazon for 99$. Im fine with that being a disposable set. I'm military & my local CPO association is making noises like they want to do a tournament so I figured that will hold me over (just to have a set to host with) while I keep changing my mind on the cermaics bulk order from brpro then I can donate it to the club when I transfer next year.

I really like the brpro samples but I dont know what I don't know. Tbh I'd love to checkout even a sample of Cc chips from the royal or majestic line. Since I'm at an APO, AP military mailing address it only uses USPS & apache wont ship to me. Amazon prime & brpro have no problem shipping here for standard US shipping rates using USPS.

Once I break over the min post threshold I'll probable be looking for a small handfull of those and others to check out too. Had NO idea that there was so much to know about chips, I've just got started & have over a hundred bucks in samples from all over!

There’s a pretty legit starter pack that goes around on here, has a ton of different chips for newer chippers to get a feel for some of the various products. You usually just pay shipping and forward it on to the next person in line.

Idk if they ship internationally - if not and you want to get a feel for some various THC, bud jones, sun-fly hybrids, etc., shoot me a message and I’ll see what I can come up with.

Thanks all, I'd certainly be interested in seeing a starter pack. So far I've been on a BRPro ceramic kick. I've got sample packs & 60mm dealer buttons for; Tiki Kings, Dropa Discs, Los Muertos, Bold Class, Laurel Crown, Scrolls.

Not Okinawa I'm afraid, I did get to spend 3 weeks teaching a course down there last year though. I'm in Northern Japan at Misawa Air Base. Almost as far north as north goes before you leave mainland Japan for Hokkaido. @BarrieJ3 It's not international shipping* It's a US address, all military bases have US addresses. So basically, if you mail something to the continental US for $5.00 it's $5.00 to any military base with a post office no matter where it is. That's how my amazon prime still works here in Japan, it just takes a couple more days. All the 96xxx series zip codes hit the military distribution hub for XYZ geographical area then leave the USPS system for Mil Mail before they leave country, so no International shipping from a sender perspective. Hope that's not confusing. It's the same the other direction too, I can mail stuff to my family in NC via priority flat rate boxes or any other USPS delivery product from the post office on base for the same thing I'd pay anywhere in the US.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom