Hello PCF ! (1 Viewer)

Thank you , they look really nice. How did you decide on the denominations and quantity of each chip ?

As a wise man once said, "Stay calm and get samples".

oh, and welcome !

Thank you very much . My usual modus operadi is to dive straight in , but I can see a costly mistake coming down the tracks if I do that here :) . I'll need to get some samples , but in your opinion is it worth paying the extra for a Paulson set ? For example , I really like the look of the lady Luck chips.

Welcome George! If you can start off by getting your hands on some samples that's the best way to get your foot in the door! Also, you may consider reaching out to fellow UK members here, I know shipping can be a buggar for you guys, and some of the members here know the ins and outs for the best ways to get chips to your door and avoid a bunch of extra fees

Welcome George! If you can start off by getting your hands on some samples that's the best way to get your foot in the door! Also, you may consider reaching out to fellow UK members here, I know shipping can be a buggar for you guys, and some of the members here know the ins and outs for the best ways to get chips to your door and avoid a bunch of extra fees

Thank you . Yes, shipping & import duty etc. will be a factor . I learnt that lesson to my unexpected cost some years ago when buying direct from the USA, now I'm certainly older and hopefully a little wiser.

Also - knowing how many players you would be accommodating and stakes you like to play will help us here be able to provide you with input for a chip set breakdown

Also - knowing how many players you would be accommodating and stakes you like to play will help us here be able to provide you with input for a chip set breakdown

Thank you , I was wondering how to work that out.

Lets say a total of six players and a buy in of £100 / $100 . I doubt it'll ever be big stakes as i'll be playing with friends and I don't want to loose them over a Friday night poker session !

Thank you , I was wondering how to work that out.

Lets say a total of six players and a buy in of £100 / $100 . I doubt it'll ever be big stakes as i'll be playing with friends and I don't want to loose them over a Friday night poker session !
@Ben8257 lil help here hon :D

George - do you play .25/.50, .50/$1? Sorry as I am not at all good with the ratio of £ to US dollars

Lets say a total of six players and a buy in of £100 / $100 . I doubt it'll ever be big stakes

I have to force my cheap ass players to put in $20. $100 isn't low stakes in my book.

In addition to the typical game/blinds you play with, you could also give an idea of your budget. $300 vs $600 vs $800 can really help to narrow down the type of chip to focus on.

but in your opinion is it worth paying the extra for a Paulson set ?
Not much choice here if you want compression clay chips. The only place you can buy new custom clay is CPC (Classic Poker Chips). Paulson, Blue Chip, ASM, TR King are available as existing only, you can't buy new.
There is a lot to consider

Get samples. Think through what numbers you need and want for your game before making any large purchase. Welcome aboard!

Thank you , they look really nice. How did you decide on the denominations and quantity of each chip ?
The denominations just made sense with the games I host. I host a lot of .05 /.10 and .25/.50 so having nickels, quarters, dollars, and 5s makes too much sense. As far as quantity of each, a lot of smart minds here can help you with that. I just doubled what they said to ensure that I had the chips to meet player demand at any given time.

@Ben8257 lil help here hon :D

George - do you play .25/.50, .50/$1? Sorry as I am not at all good with the ratio of £ to US dollars
Haha all good love! Welcome to the forum @georgepokeruk typically chip break downs are based off of BB or (big blinds). When you state starting stack of 100 pounds, that's fine typically you would like you max buy in to be 200 BBs. If that is the case here, our Blinds 25/50 pence... (50p x 200 = £100)

Starting stacks here I recommend 3£ worth of fracs so...

25p - 12 x 6 (players) = 72 chips
1£ - 17 x 6 = 102 chips
5£ .- 16 x 6 = 96 chips

That would be my choice for starting stack for 100£ and 6 players.
First round of rebuys:

5£ - 8 x 6 = 48 chips
20£ - 3 x 6 = 18 chips

Rounds (3-4) rebuys

20£ - 5 x 6 = 30 chips round 3
20£ - 5 x 6 = 30 chips round 4

So what does that all mean for chip set size?
What if you attach additional players? I suggest buying some extras but that's up to you!

I would be looking for
(100) fracs 25p
(150) 1£
(200) 5£
(100) 20£

Obviously if you think 1 to 2 rebuts would be the max then adjust the top end of the set. You may only need (40 - 60) 20£ chips. That's entirely up to you!! If you know you will never get over 6 players go off of the chip breakdown above rather than the rounded up numbers.

Know your players and your game... some 25p/50p games a big raise may be 3£ meaning your "work horse" chip would be 1£ while the next game (here in our area) $6 may be your average bet meaning you need more $5 chips.

I hope that helps, feel free to send a PM anytime, best of lick on your chipping journey friend!!

Fellow Chipper Ben

Haha all good love! Welcome to the forum @georgepokeruk typically chip break downs are based off of BB or (big blinds). When you state starting stack of 100 pounds, that's fine typically you would like you max buy in to be 200 BBs. If that is the case here, our Blinds 25/50 pence... (50p x 200 = £100)

Starting stacks here I recommend 3£ worth of fracs so...

25p - 12 x 6 (players) = 72 chips
1£ - 17 x 6 = 102 chips
5£ .- 16 x 6 = 96 chips

That would be my choice for starting stack for 100£ and 6 players.
First round of rebuys:

5£ - 8 x 6 = 48 chips
20£ - 3 x 6 = 18 chips

Rounds (3-4) rebuys

20£ - 5 x 6 = 30 chips round 3
20£ - 5 x 6 = 30 chips round 4

So what does that all mean for chip set size?
What if you attach additional players? I suggest buying some extras but that's up to you!

I would be looking for
(100) fracs 25p
(150) 1£
(200) 5£
(100) 20£

Obviously if you think 1 to 2 rebuts would be the max then adjust the top end of the set. You may only need (40 - 60) 20£ chips. That's entirely up to you!! If you know you will never get over 6 players go off of the chip breakdown above rather than the rounded up numbers.

Know your players and your game... some 25p/50p games a big raise may be 3£ meaning your "work horse" chip would be 1£ while the next game (here in our area) $6 may be your average bet meaning you need more $5 chips.

I hope that helps, feel free to send a PM anytime, best of lick on your chipping journey friend!!

Fellow Chipper Ben

Wow Ben , thank you , that is really amazing info and very helpful.

Wow Ben , thank you , that is really amazing info and very helpful.
No worries at all sir, just trying to help!! Let me know if there is anything else we can help with. There are lots of questions. What about this and that. Feel free to ask anytime, most members are extremely friendly and willing to help get you the info you need! Best of luck in your chipping journey.

Always your chipping buddy Ben

Welcome George, I'm also new round here, based in Dorset :)
Some great advice already given, working out your chip denominations and quantities is the hardest part. Once you have that nailed it's the fun part - shopping for shiny chippy chips :wow:
Happy hunting.

Welcome George, I'm also new round here, based in Dorset :)
Some great advice already given, working out your chip denominations and quantities is the hardest part. Once you have that nailed it's the fun part - shopping for shiny chippy chips :wow:
Happy hunting.

Excellent - Thank you Matt. I'd be interested to hear any tips about purchasing / shipping from the USA to the UK as most of the items I like seem to ship from there .

Excellent - Thank you Matt. I'd be interested to hear any tips about purchasing / shipping from the USA to the UK as most of the items I like seem to ship from there .
Hey George. Yes it seems that all the cool chips are coming from the US, so depends what you're after from a set. I know that BonScot has some £ cash chips for sale, which are already in the UK (ceramic ones IIRC). Should cover a cash game nicely. Link here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/£-uk-denoms-cash-set.57847/#post-1131126

If you're after a tourney set (that also supports cash) I could be tempted to part company with my Ceramic Pokerstars EPT set :whistle: :whistling:

In terms of shipping shiny things from the US, it is cost effective to ship things in one box. I am currently buying up way too many chips from all over the US, and getting them shipped to a friend (also in the US). He is then going to package them all up and send to me in one box. Thus saving international shipping fee's, and one customs payment as opposed to many little ones. I'm hoping to get my box shipped once I have all my chips and labels, so could be a while yet. @BonScot was also super helpful with tips on shipping, most of my text above is new information to me too :D

Last edited:
Welcome George!

My best advice is the oft repeated "Get samples!"

Like you, I usually just dive into new hobbies face first, but I followed the advice, got some sample sets and my opinion on what my first set should be has changed considerably :)

Paulsons are beauties, especially if you find a full set, but they can get spendy very fast. Poker chips also retain most of their value (barring any extraordinary circumstances), so it's a pretty common practice to sell your current set to help pay for a new one :)

Chat with @jr8719 if you're getting chips sent to the UK.
Hey George, welcome to the forum! Whereabouts in London are you, as I have family in Dulwich?

What's your ballpark figure, budget wise for a set? And what blinds do you play for that £100 buy-in?

As Sean eluded to in his post, I quite regularly have chips imported from the USA, and have had no issues. Yes, shipping costs are more expensive and yes, you have to pay import duties more often than not (especially on larger packages); but I generally only have to buy from the USA / Canada because I love Paulsons and custom labels from @Gear.

So, to answer your question of "is it worth paying the extra for a Paulson set", I would ultimately say yes. If you think there's a chance that you're going to really enjoy this hobby and end up taking it seriously, then there's a 95% chance you're going to invest in a set of Paulsons eventually anyway. I base this opinion solely on my own experience, which is that I wish I'd saved myself the £400 I'd spent on the two previous sets of chips (which were fine) I had before my first Paulsons... and just gone straight for the latter.

If you don't have your heart set on Paulsons, then check out these, as they are supposed to be very good chips and come from a website in Europe, meaning you won't have to pay any import duties. They are a really good company to deal with and, likewise, these are what I had before my first Paulsons.

Best,

Jack.

Hey George, welcome to the forum! Whereabouts in London are you, as I have family in Dulwich?

What's your ballpark figure, budget wise for a set? And what blinds do you play for that £100 buy-in?

As Sean eluded to in his post, I quite regularly have chips imported from the USA, and have had no issues. Yes, shipping costs are more expensive and yes, you have to pay import duties more often than not (especially on larger packages); but I generally only have to buy from the USA / Canada because I love Paulsons and custom labels from @Gear.

So, to answer your question of "is it worth paying the extra for a Paulson set", I would ultimately say yes. If you think there's a chance that you're going to really enjoy this hobby and end up taking it seriously, then there's a 95% chance you're going to invest in a set of Paulsons eventually anyway. I base this opinion solely on my own experience, which is that I wish I'd saved myself the £400 I'd spent on the two previous sets of chips (which were fine) I had before my first Paulsons... and just gone straight for the latter.

If you don't have your heart set on Paulsons, then check out these, as they are supposed to be very good chips and come from a website in Europe, meaning you won't have to pay any import duties. They are a really good company to deal with and, likewise, these are what I had before my first Paulsons.

Best,

Jack.

Thank you Jack. That is certainly some food for thought. I think i'd better get some samples rather than rush in , which is what I usually do , as I doubt i'll be happy with second best and then buy some Paulson's anyway !

I'n not that far away from Dulwich , the nearest place you might have heard of is Epsom.

KR

George.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom