Hello from San Jose, CA! (1 Viewer)

subztance

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been lurking this forum for a short while, mostly trying to learn more about poker chips and wondering how deep down the rabbit hole I want to go. I've had a cheap $50 clay composite chip set since high school (almost 20 years now), and now that my friends are getting back into poker I'm thinking about getting some China Clays (Pharoahs, most likely). Knowing myself I'll want to upgrade to Paulsons soon enough, hence I'm taking steps towards joining the community.

I think I'll still mostly be a lurker (that's just who I am), but who knows! I've been impressed with how lively and helpful this forum is. Obviously a lot of people have strong opinions about what they like best - despite that the community isn't elitist and seems very welcoming to newbies like me!

Welcome,

You don't have to go buy 50 different samples, but I do think you should get at least 10 or 12 of a single denomination of something made by Paulson and then get a sample of what you are considering (in your case China Clay Pharaoh’s) maybe get a barrel of some ceramic chip too. Lots of the cards molds chips out there now too and that is another good and relatively cheap option.

Just play with each of them for a while. Shuffle them a bunch. Just doing that will help you know if you vary going to be satisfied with something like Pharaoh’s.

Welcome,

You don't have to go buy 50 different samples, but I do think you should get at least 10 or 12 of a single denomination of something made by Paulson and then get a sample of what you are considering (in your case China Clay Pharaoh’s) maybe get a barrel of some ceramic chip too. Lots of the cards molds chips out there now too and that is another good and relatively cheap option.

Just play with each of them for a while. Shuffle them a bunch. Just doing that will help you know if you vary going to be satisfied with something like Pharaoh’s.
Thanks for the advice! I’ve tried ceramics and I don’t like it quite as much - I like chips having a bit of texture. I’ll order a sample of the pharaohs and some Paulsons!

Edit: why a single denomination? Is there a noticeable difference between different Paulsons, and is that true for all types of chips?

Thanks for the advice! I’ve tried ceramics and I don’t like it quite as much - I like chips having a bit of texture. I’ll order a sample of the pharaohs and some Paulsons!

Edit: why a single denomination? Is there a noticeable difference between different Paulsons, and is that true for all types of chips?
You are welcome.

No need to keep it to a single denomination. There won't be a difference from one denomination to another. There is a huge difference between Paulson and everything else....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom