Hello from Minnesota (1 Viewer)

Hephestia

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello from a snowy Minnesota!

Totally new to this hobby; admittedly I'm not a part of it (yet). I fear, though, this is quite deep rabbit hole I may fall into. My main goal here is to learn enough to make a custom set of my own.

I have ordered up some samples and to keep things simple (and within budget), I am likely going to go with a nice set of the Majestic or Royal (depending on which size I prefer) from Apache. From what I've gathered, I could get blank ones and then get labels printed with whatever design I choose from one of the label manufacturers and just stick them in... I hope it's that simple and I didn't miss a step. I know you can get way more complicated (and expensive) by getting other chips, milling, and relabeling. It looks like you can also do custom ceramics or something from BPRO or some such site. I suppose I should order a sample of those to see how they compare with the ones I ordered from Apache?

Welcome! You’re on the right track with samples. Some prefer the china clays of Royals and Majestics and others will say ceramics are much better. Only you can decide what you like. I think both are nice but they are definitely very different from each other.

You can get blanks of Royals and Majestics and design your own labels for them. @Gear is our labels guru but expect really long lead times right now as he is likely very backed up. One used to be able to order custom labels for them from brpro actually, but I think that option may no longer exist. @ABC Gifts and Awards will know for sure.

Welcome to PCF.jpg

Welcome to the fray! One thing to mention is you will most likely need to clean your blank Majestics or Royals prior to labeling. Have fun!

Welcome! You’re on the right track with samples. Some prefer the china clays of Royals and Majestics and others will say ceramics are much better. Only you can decide what you like. I think both are nice but they are definitely very different from each other.

You can get blanks of Royals and Majestics and design your own labels for them. @Gear is our labels guru but expect really long lead times right now as he is likely very backed up. One used to be able to order custom labels for them from brpro actually, but I think that option may no longer exist. @ABC Gifts and Awards will know for sure.

Thanks! I'm not sure I have an eye for design. I can see what looks good and bad, but I lack the artistic eye to actually create the good. I found a thread with a bunch of people who are designers, so I will probably reach out to one of them once I know what route I want to go. I got a sample of ceramics on the way to compare with the ones I got from Apache. Oddly, dice chips are still in the mix (perhaps because I'm just so used to them). We will see as I play around with all the chips a bit more.

Hello and welcome...

My 43mm set are the most popular set I own with my group of players. They are my favorite as well... If you are considering size...

There is at least one good review Video of the 43mm Royals YouTube.. worth a look..

Good luck!!

Welcome! Do you know a poker pro from Minnesota called Nooker by chance?

Last edited:

Totally new to this hobby; admittedly I'm not a part of it (yet). I fear, though, this is quite deep rabbit hole I may fall into. My main goal here is to learn enough to make a custom set of my own.

I have ordered up some samples and to keep things simple (and within budget), I am likely going to go with a nice set of the Majestic or Royal (depending on which size I prefer) from Apache. From what I've gathered, I could get blank ones and then get labels printed with whatever design I choose from one of the label manufacturers and just stick them in... I hope it's that simple and I didn't miss a step. I know you can get way more complicated (and expensive) by getting other chips, milling, and relabeling. It looks like you can also do custom ceramics or something from BPRO or some such site. I suppose I should order a sample of those to see how they compare with the ones I ordered from Apache?
Our first set was right along the lines of where you’re going. And then came PCF and the classifieds…

I host a game a .20/.20 cash game twice weekly that is wildly popular (ok, we fill our table, have fun, and play until morning) so hit me up if you’re near the Twin Cities. Love to make room for you to check us out. We’ll reciprocate.

Stay well.

Ken

BTW, when you have messaging rights, shoot me a PM if you’re looking for a home game. If you’re in the metro proper @JustinInMN would encourage you to find the local poker Meetup group.

Welcome

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom