Hello from Denver! (1 Viewer)

LTrain

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

What a wonderful rabbit hole I just found...

I am interested in starting up a home game of poker and needed to upgrade from my 158 chip set of cheap chips (what ever is a step down from dice chips). During my search discovered the wide world of poker chips.

I am planning of buying a set of Monte Carlo chips as they are they have 5c chip in my budget hoping to split the order between thepokerstore.com to pick up the 5 cent chips and a 600 count acrylic case then the rest from apachepokerchip.com for lower price if they come back in stock.

The Monte Carlo's would be for a low stakes set to keep thing friendly among the novices I plan on inviting and would likely never have more then a 50 dollar max buy at my home.

I was looking at set for a cash game of...

100x 5c
200x 25c
175x $1
75x $5
50x $25

I also wanted to get a tournament set but have not quite landed on a chip count and would love input on the best way to run a home tournament. I want to have enough chips for 2 tables of 10 (I may not know that many people). I was looking at Christopher M.'s Youtube video on the subject and am leaning toward the 20k stack, but have not research the size of the stack as much as the cash stacks. I will dig deeper in to the forums and get some samples to iron out which set I want with out breaking the bank.

Thanks for all the info you all have given me so far and in the future!

LTrain

Welcome @LTrain . The forums are a great place to learn about chips and people’s experiences with them. Good luck on your search. In your initial post, I don’t think you’ll have much need for the $25 chip in a micro stakes cash game (under $50 buy in). I suggest investing in more smaller denominations (5c and 25c)
Having 50 $25 chips equals $1,250 of equivalent value in chips. If you’re playing a 10-person cash game with $50 buy ins, there’s only $500 total on the table (plus or minus rebuys and cash outs etc...) so you’d never need all those greens to cover the money. If you’re mostly playing 5c/10c blinds, or 10c/25c, or anything in that lower denominations, I’d suggest instead getting 50 additional 5c chips. They will be needed much more on the table.

Welcome aboard the poker chip crazy train. If you have some time check out some of our other vendors, as you can also get a custom set of ceramics for a very inexpensive price. I agree that having a $25 chip is likely not needed, and investing in more of your other denominations is probably wiser. 5c/10c or 10c/20c blinds would be the way to go, and if you're offering rebuys you can use $1s and $5s and have change made from the table.

As far as a tournament set goes there are plenty of options for breakdowns and starting stacks. I prefer 12/12/7/5 starting stacks over 8/8/6/6 starting stacks (which is 10k stacks). This allows more chips on the table and less change being made during the game, not everyone likes this structure though as it requires more chips in the overall set.
This depends what denomination you are starting your tournament with. You can start with any denom from T1 to T100 or more depending on your stakes, commonly it is
T25
T100
T500
T1000
T5000
T25000

You would essentially begin play with 12 T25, 12 T100, 7 T500 and 5 T1000 (standard 10k stacks) and 2 T5k to equal 20k
You could also run it 16/16/8/9/1 or 16/16/10/8/1

Welcome! Like @ruskba mentioned, there is a good sized group of chippers here in the metro area. When things get back to normal, there’s plenty of great games, good people, and fantastic chip sets!!

Welcome! There's definitely players in CO that are part of the crowd here. As to your questions for tourney sizes, I'm prone to agreeing with what @FordPickup92 said...
Welcome aboard the poker chip crazy train. If you have some time check out some of our other vendors, as you can also get a custom set of ceramics for a very inexpensive price. I agree that having a $25 chip is likely not needed, and investing in more of your other denominations is probably wiser. 5c/10c or 10c/20c blinds would be the way to go, and if you're offering rebuys you can use $1s and $5s and have change made from the table.

As far as a tournament set goes there are plenty of options for breakdowns and starting stacks. I prefer 12/12/7/5 starting stacks over 8/8/6/6 starting stacks (which is 10k stacks). This allows more chips on the table and less change being made during the game, not everyone likes this structure though as it requires more chips in the overall set.
This depends what denomination you are starting your tournament with. You can start with any denom from T1 to T100 or more depending on your stakes, commonly it is
T25
T100
T500
T1000
T5000
T25000

You would essentially begin play with 12 T25, 12 T100, 7 T500 and 5 T1000 (standard 10k stacks) and 2 T5k to equal 20k
You could also run it 16/16/8/9/1 or 16/16/10/8/1

Welcome @LTrain . The forums are a great place to learn about chips and people’s experiences with them. Good luck on your search. In your initial post, I don’t think you’ll have much need for the $25 chip in a micro stakes cash game (under $50 buy in). I suggest investing in more smaller denominations (5c and 25c)
Having 50 $25 chips equals $1,250 of equivalent value in chips. If you’re playing a 10-person cash game with $50 buy ins, there’s only $500 total on the table (plus or minus rebuys and cash outs etc...) so you’d never need all those greens to cover the money. If you’re mostly playing 5c/10c blinds, or 10c/25c, or anything in that lower denominations, I’d suggest instead getting 50 additional 5c chips. They will be needed much more on the table.
I would like to be expandable to a to a $50 buy in with but would have likely less then 6 at the table for that would you still have 25 or so of $25 the chips?

Welcome! I'm in the Littleton area too!

I was looking at some of the freeroll games in our area. Have you been to any of these?

I would like to be expandable to a to a $50 buy in with but would have likely less then 6 at the table for that would you still have 25 or so of $25 the chips?
even with a $50 buy in, or $100 buy in, you won’t use many $25 chips. Having 25 on hand should be plenty, and you could invest more in $5’s, which will get much more use for a $50-$100 buy in.

nice thing with those readily available chips, you can easily add to the set if your game grows.
former Aurora resident here by the way. Miss Colorado every day, hope to get back there soon.
I heard Colorado betting laws are changing and they’re removing the $100 Max bet. So I gotta take a trip to Blackhawk soon!

even with a $50 buy in, or $100 buy in, you won’t use many $25 chips. Having 25 on hand should be plenty, and you could invest more in $5’s, which will get much more use for a $50-$100 buy in.

nice thing with those readily available chips, you can easily add to the set if your game grows.
former Aurora resident here by the way. Miss Colorado every day, hope to get back there soon.
I heard Colorado betting laws are changing and they’re removing the $100 Max bet. So I gotta take a trip to Blackhawk soon!
Can't wait to get up there once they open the table games. My poker experience it only with $5 home tournys. I have been studying and plan on hitting up that $60 daily tourny they run at golden gates.

I was looking at some of the freeroll games in our area. Have you been to any of these?
No, I've just played in local home games. We've got a big Denver crew on PCF, but the games have been mostly on hold. Some people are playing online, but I don't like online games as much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom