Hello everyone (1 Viewer)

kjh817

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a new here. I've always been a Texas Hold'em fan and I recently started playing some cash games with friends at college. We're using dice chips right now but I really like quality products, so I'm hoping to learn more about chips before maybe upgrading to something a little nicer. I'm hoping to use some of my winnings from playing with my regular group to help fund the upgrade since I'm the one who hosts anyways and they'll all get to use the chips so we all win. Any advice is welcome!

Welcome, you have found the right place for chips and tons of experience from extremely helpful collectors.

Welcome aboard!!

giphy (3).gif

Welcome! What kind of budget are you anticipating?? Also are you playing .25/.50 or .50/1.00? A little more information will be helpful for us to give you some advice. Lots of info here on the forum, should be able to get you upgraded to a set suited for what you need! Plenty of great options here.

Welcome! What kind of budget are you anticipating?? Also are you playing .25/.50 or .50/1.00? A little more information will be helpful for us to give you some advice. Lots of info here on the forum, should be able to get you upgraded to a set suited for what you need! Plenty of great options here.

We typically play with .5/.10 blind.

I'm also interested in just learning more about hosting and running games and tournaments because we're starting to have a small list of players.

I suppose I should mention, I don't want to spend more than $150 or so since I'm broke and in college. Ideally the cash set could double as a tournament set too but I guess I can use dice chips for a tournament if needed.

We typically play with .5/.10 blind.

I'm also interested in just learning more about hosting and running games and tournaments because we're starting to have a small list of players.

I suppose I should mention, I don't want to spend more than $150 or so since I'm broke and in college. Ideally the cash set could double as a tournament set too but I guess I can use dice chips for a tournament if needed.
Gotcha so microstakes cash, those are fun sets! You can likely find China Clay's for a low budget and make a set to suit both, you'll need to be aware that if you use the same $25s people *could potentially* pull $25s from the cash game and sneak them in to the tournament

Gotcha so microstakes cash, those are fun sets! You can likely find China Clay's for a low budget and make a set to suit both, you'll need to be aware that if you use the same $25s people *could potentially* pull $25s from the cash game and sneak them in to the tournament

I'm not *too* concerned with security. I doubt we'd run both cash and tournament at the same time.Thanks for bringing that toomy attention though! After browsing around, I'm kind of leaning towards .05/.25/1/5 as denoms for a cash set, allowing for 5s to double as T5s in a T5/T25/T100/T500 set. Thoughts on that?

That could potentially work out well, I would make sure you have enough 5s, as sometimes people who bust out of a tournament early like to play a little cash while they wait for friends... but if you dont find it likely this will happen then you may not have to worry about it.

I personally like the .5 idea, although some people feel as though finding .5 chips can be difficult. Your next steps will be finding a set that can meet both lower and upper end needs. Followed by a break down of how many chips per denom you will need to complete a set. I've seen a few T5 starting stacks and as long as the blinds are clarified to match the 5 starting opposed to the 25 you shouldnt have any issues.

I've been looking around at all the sets and thinking I might just start with the cash set, since we play cash way more and it will see more use. I also like T100 tournament numbers better (way more fun to say I bet 1000 when you're a broke college kid) so I don't know if I want to use T5 numbers.

I have enough dice chips that I think I could handle a 20 player tournament, and I think we generally enjoy playing cash games more than tournaments so my current thought is a 400 or 500 chip cash set with .05/.25/1/5 as the denoms and we don't mind making change with each other. We usually play with 6-8 but we've done two tables of 5 before so I would like to have enough for 10 people. We do $5-$10 buy in so its like 10/10/2/x/ starting stacks. Any feedback?

For 400:
125 x .05
125 x .25
100 x 1
50 x 5

For 500:
150 x .05
150 x .25
150 x 1
50 x 5

I'm not *too* concerned with security. I doubt we'd run both cash and tournament at the same time.Thanks for bringing that toomy attention though! After browsing around, I'm kind of leaning towards .05/.25/1/5 as denoms for a cash set, allowing for 5s to double as T5s in a T5/T25/T100/T500 set. Thoughts on that?
If there isnt a security concern why not just do one set T5/T25/T100 etccc and call them ¢ denominations for your cash game, may save you some money if you are ona budget. T500 =500¢ or 5.00$

If there isnt a security concern why not just do one set T5/T25/T100 etccc and call them ¢ denominations for your cash game, may save you some money if you are ona budget. T500 =500¢ or 5.00$

That's a good point. In my head there's just something about seeing the denominations on the chips that I really like but I guess this is probably a cheaper option. It would allow me to have both sets as well so that's a plus.

That's a good point. In my head there's just something about seeing the denominations on the chips that I really like but I guess this is probably a cheaper option. It would allow me to have both sets as well so that's a plus.
This is easier to do here in Japan, since they don't use dollars and cents. It's just YEN. 1 yen, 100 yen (100 cents), 1,000 yen bill is their 10$ bill and so on. When we get family visiting we tell them to just think cents every time they see a number and you're golden. Same idea if the chips are just the number value without the $$
:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom