Hello everyone!!!!! (1 Viewer)

mwm

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am Michael I have been playing poker for about three years and got introduced by a coworker. I knew how to play poker, but I was hooked when I played in my coworker's home game for the first time (25/50 cent home game). I broke even for the night, and ever since then, I have been playing with them every now and then, but also mainly with my family, doing poker tournaments about every Friday. I recently came across this page from some of the big names of the poker chip community on YouTube, and now I am ready to get some home games going with my close friends that I've known since a kid. I recently got BR PRO POKER samples and was shocked just by how well they stacked, and now just ordered samples from CPC as I cannot hear enough about them everywhere, very excited!!! Besides that, I want to hear about things you wish you knew earlier before you hosted your first home game, especially if not everyone knows how to play poker at the same experience level. Nice meeting you all, and I'm happy to be here!

Welcome Michael. Check out my threads. I host a twice weekly cash game near MSP Airport. There’s a few other chippers that host near here as well.

Good luck and welcome.

Ken

Welcome Michael to PCF!!!! It can be a lot of fun hosting games! You will find an endless amount of information on all things poker, including hosting home games on this site. Just use the search bar at the top of the page if there is anything specific you are looking for. Our games really took off one we became more organized and started using an app to track our Blinds during our tournaments. We currently use Blinds are Up for Android. It does a great job. Tournament Director for PC is also a great program. We use Robert's Rules of Poker for our rules and guidelines when we play. The foundation of a well run poker night is to have a solid, well organized game. Then you can build around that by adding hot dog rollers and booze. ;)

Matt

Welcome!
Some advice on chips. Get as many samples as you can. I can’t tell you how many chips I’ve purchased that I thought were “the one” then something I like better came along the next week. Take your time deciding what sets you like. Spot progression, Cali colors, THC vs RHC vs house mold vs CPC vs Cards molds. None of this I knew anything about before joining. Do your research.

Advice for hosting.
If you’re going to host regularly don’t be embarrassed asking for $5-$10 per person so you can stock the game w snacks (nothing that will ruin chips like Doritos please) and non alcoholic beverages. It’s not fair for the host to pay $60-$100 for things every week especially if you’re playing lower stakes where a big win is still a loss in your pocket. Tell your buds it’s byob.
I play in a great game every Thursday. Everyone gives the host $5 and he has waters, seltzers, donuts, pretzels, veggies, lollipops. All stuff you can grab in bulk. Oh yeah and a hot dog roller, Can’t forget that.
We also do high hand of the night which has become a huge hit. For us we throw the host $20, $15 for high hand and $5 for the hosting expenses. High hand ends at midnight since people tend to start leaving after that.

If you’re hosting a cash game. Keep the bank yourself. Don’t let other players grab the chips themselves. keep track on your phone or piece of paper how much everyone buys in/rebuys for and how much they cash out for so you know how much should be on the table at the end of the night.

If you’re hosting a tournament yes use an app to keep track of blinds like Matt suggested above. Get a good blind structure to make the games last the correct amount of time. I like rebuys for the first 90-120 minutes so that someone that runs into a cooler 10 minutes into the tournament doesn’t have to go home. Give a chip bonus for people that get in their seat before the tournament starts so it’s less you have to do during those first 30 minutes of a tourney as people casually walk in.

Tons of other info you’ll find on here.
Good luck!

Welcome!

And +1 to GetUrShineBox: have people contribute towards snacks, drinks, etc. You'll be surprised how quickly things can add up if you're always hosting. For my home game I also ask people to contribute towards new cards every once in a while. And from personal experience most players are more than okay helping to cover costs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom