Hello again, thanks and help with populating home games and other stuff (1 Viewer)

thatguyyouknow

Sitting Out
Reaction score
hello all i have recently made a post about trying to figure out what the best blinds are for a home game. I was directed to a 5C 10C game for blinds. We have enjoyed this very much and have been playing week after week with 5 players, where all fairly new to the game except one player who has played before. I have run into a some problems and would like to find some wisdom from others

1. the decks of cards that i'm using are getting beat up (plastic Copag) and I am finding creases on cards and nicks. is this normal or is someone doing something to the cards. should I be replacing 4 decks this quickly!!!

2. are player count is staying the same and idk how to find new players that i will trust/ will be trustworthy moving forward.

2 1/2. will it be easy to find new players at very small limit blinds. are game is NL but minium buy in is $10 that gets around 200 in chips ( 190 in fives and 10 in 1s). I want find more players for are game but i don't know how to look / approaches this with are current game set up.

3. i have a 8 player poker table is it right that i should be looking for new players

that's all the question that I can remember right now i'm sure as the comments roll in that ill have more thanks

ps: I'm in Upstate NY near rochester syracuse area

Last edited:
hello all i have recently made a post about trying to figure out what the best blinds are for a home game. I was directed to a 5C 10C game for blinds. We have enjoyed this very much and have been playing week after week with 5 players, where all fairly new to the game except one player who has played before. I have run into a some problems and would like to find some wisdom from others

1. the decks of cards that i'm using are getting beat up and I am finding creases on cards and nicks. is this normal or is someone doing something to the cards. should I be replacing 4 decks this quickly!!!

2. are player count is staying the same and idk how to find new players that i will trust/ will be trustworthy moving forward.

2 1/2. will it be easy to find new players at very small limit blinds. are game is NL but minium buy in is $10 that gets around 200 in chips ( 190 in fives and 10 in 1s). I want find more players for are game but i don't know how to look / approaches this with are current game set up.

3. i have a 8 player poker table is it right that i should be looking for new players

that's all the question that I can remember right now i'm sure as the comments roll in that ill have more thanks

ps: I'm in Upstate NY near rochester syracuse area
1. What are you using for cards? If they are paper cards be glad they lasted that long.

2. That is the question that haunts us all. I am lucky enough to work at a great steel plant with a bunch of decent guys, so I was easily able to fill my table.

2 1/2. You have to find the players first before you know what stakes they are comfortable playing with.

3. You ALWAYS want to be expanding your player pool. Not everyone can make every game you want to schedule. A bigger player pool just helps fill the table.

p.s. I am in Buffalo. If it is preplanned and not something ridiculous for a drive I can make a game or two

1. Do you have plastic or paper cards? If paper, then yes you'll be replacing them often. A good all-plastic deck (Desjgn, Modiano, Copag, etc) should last months at a clip if you're playing weekly.
  2. IMHO the best way to grow a game is personal reference & word of mouth. Tell the folks playing to inquire with friends. Ask a neighbor, a colleague, a cousin/uncle, etc. etc. etc. If you want to sustain the game, you should always be recruiting - a game is either growing or dying....
  3. With the microstakes blinds / buy-in you're using, you'll likely be limited to recruiting either completely new players or those who play just for fun. Not necessarily a bad thing, just realize that a lot of more "experienced" players won't want to make the trip over for a $10 game outside of a family or college buddy type of game.

1. What are you using for cards? If they are paper cards be glad they lasted that long.

2. That is the question that haunts us all. I am lucky enough to work at a great steel plant with a bunch of decent guys, so I was easily able to fill my table.

2 1/2. You have to find the players first before you know what stakes they are comfortable playing with.

3. You ALWAYS want to be expanding your player pool. Not everyone can make every game you want to schedule. A bigger player pool just helps fill the table.

p.s. I am in Buffalo. If it is preplanned and not something ridiculous for a drive I can make a game or two
for cards im using copag

thanks for the response and i'm always trying to fill the gaps and we play on a schedule every saturday time is depending on arrival and how comfortable people are with 3 players or waiting until its full.

1. Do you have plastic or paper cards? If paper, then yes you'll be replacing them often. A good all-plastic deck (Desjgn, Modiano, Copag, etc) should last months at a clip if you're playing weekly.
  2. IMHO the best way to grow a game is personal reference & word of mouth. Tell the folks playing to inquire with friends. Ask a neighbor, a colleague, a cousin/uncle, etc. etc. etc. If you want to sustain the game, you should always be recruiting - a game is either growing or dying....
  3. With the microstakes blinds / buy-in you're using, you'll likely be limited to recruiting either completely new players or those who play just for fun. Not necessarily a bad thing, just realize that a lot of more "experienced" players won't want to make the trip over for a $10 game outside of a family or college buddy type of game.
yeah i'm finding that im looking at that type of pool of players. should i allow bigger buy ins or consult the group on large blinds to bring more players in

yeah i'm finding that im looking at that type of pool of players. should i allow bigger buy ins or consult the group on large blinds to bring more players in
If you raise the stakes you'll likely lose 2/3 of your current players within 6 months. I would decide if poker is an activity with your friends (small stakes) or you want to run a competitive game (higher stakes) - those two types of players don't mix unfortunately.

You might consider raising the stakes, but capping total buy in. That way, a player (and perhaps more importantly their spouse) comes in know they can’t lose more than $50. Two people can hardly go to the movies these days for less than that.

We play $.25/$.50 blinds do the following buy ins:

$25 = $17 in chips and $8 for food.
Rebuy (once down to $2), is $15
Last rebuy, same as above, $15.

Now, have we let folks by in after their 3rd buy-in? Absolutely not (as far as their spouse knows!!!). Kidding aside, we have, some as many as 5 buy-ins - that didn’t work out well for the rest of us as I recall. Sometimes a fish can become a shark! Good for him.

Anyway, by capping the overall buy in, you can have $.25/$.50 blinds and not scare anyone away.

Not sure how long you have been playing for, but I’ve been using plastic cards once a week for 5+ hours a time for months and they’re still fine.

I wouldn’t assume something nefarious is happening at a $10 game. Perhaps people just aren’t familiar with how to delicately handle and shuffle cards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom