Hellmuth just won bracelet number 15 (1 Viewer)

He has been doing it for 30 years...

So have/had most of the people at the top of the bracelet/cash standings. And the ones who have been doing it for 20 years have around or less than 2/3 his success. Also note that he won his first bracelet in 1989. Between 1989 - 1996 about as many bracelet were awarded as the past 2 years of the WSOP. The whole thing has evolved.

Hellmuth is teh GOAT. Let me tell you why:

1. That super ego thing. I have a sneaking suspicion that is for the cameras and the other players. Like great boxers, he knows what draws people in. In wrestling they call them marks. I feel he can do this at the tables as well as on the TV.

Hellmuth plays nitty and for value and fish like me pay him off trying to get one over on the Ego.

I see this all the time and other players defend him with this same argument and it just irks me more. He's a nice guy to us, he just treats other players like garbage to get an edge at the table! is still the attitude of an obnoxious person. It's called treating people with respect. It reminds me of people who seem genuinely nice but then treat service people like garbage because they can or want to act slighted to get free stuff. If you are capable of being a d-bag don't be a d-bag.
I don't think he's trying to get the edge on anyone by being a douche, his outbursts are usually after the hand. Tony G is the guy who tries to get under peoples skin by being a jerk, and he's the undisputed master of it. Phil is just a bad loser.

I don't think he's trying to get the edge on anyone by being a douche, his outbursts are usually after the hand. Tony G is the guy who tries to get under peoples skin by being a jerk, and he's the undisputed master of it. Phil is just a bad loser.

Tony G is everything that is horrible about poker, and I've found myself feeling sorry for PH a couple of times because of him. The one that stands out in my mind is a hand where Tony G lied about not looking at his hand, busted PH, then continued insulting him after the hand was over and Phil got up to leave. Tony even got up and followed him with a non-stop tirade about what a terrible player Phil is.

Table talk is one thing, but it takes a special kind of scumbag to get up from the table and chase a busted player out of the room while spewing insults and trash talk at him. It's REALLY bad for poker in general when this kind of crap is televised.

I loathe Tony G.

Tony G is everything that is horrible about poker, and I've found myself feeling sorry for PH a couple of times because of him. The one that stands out in my mind is a hand where Tony G lied about not looking at his hand, busted PH, then continued insulting him after the hand was over and Phil got up to leave. Tony even got up and followed him with a non-stop tirade about what a terrible player Phil is.

Table talk is one thing, but it takes a special kind of scumbag to get up from the table and chase a busted player out of the room while spewing insults and trash talk at him. It's REALLY bad for poker in general when this kind of crap is televised.

I loathe Tony G.
Agreed, I like watching PH play, both when he pulls off great plays, and watching him meltdown when he gets played. I only like watching clips of TG when he loses. Especially when he's just been an ass and thinks he's about to win.

Phil is... Okay.

He's certainly a good poker player, you can't argue with his results. It's just too bad that he's usually an asshole with a huge ego. Arrogance is one of the few personality traits that really grinds my gears though, so the ego might bother me more than others.

What he's certainly not is one of the elite hold em players in today's professional (and especially high roller) player pool. He is a huge underdog in any of the really elite NLHE tournaments. He's definitely not worth a 1.8 mark-up.

Still, all time leader in bracelets and another one on top is nothing to choke at. Congratulations are due.
Not a shocker, but Phil did not buy into the one million dollar one drop tournament that just resumed today. Some of my favorites are doing great though - Ivy, Negreanu, and Seidel are 2nd, 3rd, and 6th after one day.
This year has brought the picture into focus even more - Daniel wants to put in the work to compete the the very best NLHE players in the world. Phil is content to dominate everybody else.

Agreed, I like watching PH play, both when he pulls off great plays, and watching him meltdown when he gets played. I only like watching clips of TG when he loses. Especially when he's just been an ass and thinks he's about to win.

Tony G in a YT thumbnail or title is all it takes for me to skip over that video.

Not a shocker, but Phil did not buy into the one million dollar one drop tournament that just resumed today. Some of my favorites are doing great though - Ivy, Negreanu, and Seidel are 2nd, 3rd, and 6th after one day.
This year has brought the picture into focus even more - Daniel wants to put in the work to compete the the very best NLHE players in the world. Phil is content to dominate everybody else.

I haven't had a chance to watch any of the one drop. One of the best parts about this year is having Ivey back on the scene!

I haven't had a chance to watch any of the one drop. One of the best parts about this year is having Ivey back on the scene!
I think also is great that Ivey is back. But I have the feeling like he getting bored playing tournaments very fast... like it osnt enough action for him :)

Nearly all the players sell significant amounts of themselves in things like One Drop. Ivey included.

This guy is amazing, you like him or not, but he deserve at least some respect !

He kept $400,000 and sold the rest this year.
Good. I know he had 95% of himself at the super high roller bowl, which I think he got $3 million for second. It would be a shame to piss so much of that away on one tournament.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom