Heating / cooling options for garage man cave (1 Viewer)

Lent53

High Hand
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am slowly turning my 3 car garage into a place to host games, ufc fights and just hang outs. I live in NC where the climate is generally very mild. However, we do have a couple cold months and the summers get very hot. My garage isn’t insulated and I’ve been looking at portable heater/ air conditioning units. I’ve seen some options that combine for both. But I’ve also seen negatives to this. I don’t want to spend thousands to insulate and would be ok spending $500 or so on something to make the room comfortable when I do host. Any ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated

If you don't care about how it looks, and want to save a few bones, construction site heaters are a (relatively) cheap option at $105. They run on regular old propane and throw a ton of heat...

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Corporation-Convection-75k/dp/B00ZXNLXU0

Just happened to see one this morning on a job site...

1580486764468.png

Just make sure some idiot guest doesn't sit on the damn thing and burn his ass off.

Last edited:
If it were me and only used a few times a year, this is how I would go assuming there is some decent insulation value to your garage.

a couple of these opposite corners, extremely safe, this is how my parents auxiliary heat their living room in an old farm house. Their living room would be roughly 12x24, it needs two but they only use half of it. You can touch any part of this heater and it is basically room temp

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Powerhea...=sem&msclkid=1ef8bbabea7d193eac15e59fb624aee9

as far as AC if you have a window, a window unit would be an easy way to go.

Could be less than $500-600 total

Following with interest.

I think the heating part will be relatively simple because of the heating options available. Cooling (for me) can be a hassle because of HOA regulations. I was thinking of getting one of those wall units and running the vent up to the attic. I'm not very inclined in this area, but I saw a friend do it without much issue.

Following with interest.

I think the heating part will be relatively simple because of the heating options available. Cooling (for me) can be a hassle because of HOA regulations. I was thinking of getting one of those wall units and running the vent up to the attic. I'm not very inclined in this area, but I saw a friend do it without much issue.
A quick search turned up this, gets good reviews $750

https://www.ecomfort.com/Daikin-FTX...tusa&var2=bingpla&var3=catch83659&var4=&var5=

Following with interest.

Right. I originally started researching heating units and those are easy to find. Now thinking about cooking I saw that they make some portable heating/ cooling combinations. Problem is I have a 3 car garage and no window. It’s new construction but no insulation.

It's not much work or expense to put a window in new construction, ventilation would help a lot an many days ... and faced batt insulation is relatively cheap to put in yourself, that would also help keep things comfy ... a P-Tac unit is what you see in motels, they work well for both heat and AC

If you don't care about how it looks, and want to save a few bones, construction site heaters are a (relatively) cheap option at $105. They run on regular old propane and throw a ton of heat...

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Corporation-Convection-75k/dp/B00ZXNLXU0

Just happened to see one this morning on a job site...

View attachment 400655

Just make sure some idiot guest doesn't sit on the damn thing and burn his ass off.
I agree with the convection propane heater. It worked for me in the winter when I had a game in the garage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom