Health issues and home games (1 Viewer)

podunkeric

Pair
Reaction score
Hey all...I've been a part of this community off and on now for about 4-ish years now, and I always marvel at how supportive the community is to other members in need.
That said, I have been struggling with an issue and was hoping for input.
Basically, due to some past health challenges, I have lost about 75% of the mobility in my left hand. Normally , this isnt such a big deal, but I find poker to have a unique challenge....I cant shuffle cards any more. For my own games it's a non-issue because I have a cheap shuffler I keep by my side. However, I have been to a couple home games (not mine) and the button rotates around, person behind the dealer shuffles...standar operation.
My question is, if you were hosting and someone in my situation showed up, would my noisy shuffler be way too tilting? Not being able to shuffle cards is flustering enough, otherwise I'm forced to ask folks to shuffle for me, and that ain't great either, especially if it's a new game I've been invited to.
The reason I ask is that my health has improved enough to where I am considering attending some meetups. The fun factor looks off the charts, but the last thing I want is to be a burden /nuisance to the host or other players.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Hey all...I've been a part of this community off and on now for about 4-ish years now, and I always marvel at how supportive the community is to other members in need.
Basically, due to some past health challenges, I have lost about 75% of the mobility in my left hand. Normally , this isnt such a big deal, but I find poker to have a unique challenge....I cant shuffle cards any more. For my own games it's a non-issue because I have a cheap shuffler I keep by my side. However, I have been to a couple home games (not mine) and the button rotates around, person behind the dealer shuffles...standar operation.
My question is, if you were hosting and someone in my situation showed up, would my noisy shuffler be way too tilting? Not being able to shuffle cards is flustering enough, otherwise I'm forced to ask folks to shuffle for me, and that ain't great either, especially if it's a new game I've been invited to.
The reason I ask is that my health has improved enough to where I am considering attending some meetups. The fun factor looks off the charts, but the last thing I want is to be a burden /nuisance to the host or other players.
Great question, my input for you is this. I wouldn't bring anything noisy to another game. If it annoys just one person then that's a issue. I love to deal for people so in my game I deal for $1 a SB for any of my crew that gets lazy and just is tired. Maybe that's a option? Or if you have a good friend in the game who understands your situation maybe they will deal for you on your deal. If you come to my zombie meetup in October I'll deal for you all night for free. :) Hope you get better buddy!

Chris

I have a regular who has no use of his left hand. He skips shuffling but will still deal.

It's not an issue. If you're new to a game and the dealer shuffles just make a joke and say "I need to pass the shuffle or we will be picking these off the floor" or something

I went to a meetup in October of last year and a woman (one of the locals, not a PCFer) broke her left hand a couple weeks prior. I was happy to shuffle and deal for her. It didn't bother me at all. If you come across a group of people that have a problem with your physical condition, then they are not worth your time. Life is too short to be concerned about silly small things like that.

One of the players in my weekly game has arthritis—or maybe something else, TBH I haven't pried—and one of us always shuffles and deals for him. Didn't take long for it to become part of normal procedure like anything else.

We never have a shortage of volunteers, and I trust that would be the case in most games. In fact, if you find yourself at a home game where at least one person doesn't proactively offer to shuffle, I'd question whether it's worth attending.

You are too self conscious. Be up front. Explain to the group that someone will have to shuffle for you since you injured your hand raking in pots all night long at your last game.

Then ask them if they will bump up the stakes.

I have a regular who has no use of his left hand. He skips shuffling but will still deal.

It's not an issue. If you're new to a game and the dealer shuffles just make a joke and say "I need to pass the shuffle or we will be picking these off the floor" or something

I have a reg that has no left hand. No problem with people shuffling for him. Folks are happy to help. He does deal.

It is very common as the others have said already. Someone will be glad to shuffle for you. Just say thank you.

You are too self conscious. Be up front. Explain to the group that someone will have to shuffle for you since you injured your hand raking in pots all night long at your last game.

Best.Advice.Ever.Given

Reactions: JWC
I’m not sure there is much more to say and it’s not quite the same but I broke my hand a few months back and although the cast is off it still really hurts to shuffle. I was concerned going to play because I hadn’t been to my regular game in a few months (work reasons). When I got there there were a bunch of new faces (as I expected) and I just flat out asked for help. Everyone teased cuz I am a dude with a broken hand but they let someone else shuffle.

I hope no one would say no to a help request.

Just be upfront with the host when you're first invited.

And then be upfront at the beginning of the game or when you first arrive with the other players. Just be transparent and let them know of your disability. I'd like to think 99% of people at a home game are normal rational human beings who would be understanding. I'd be willing to wager that you'll have a couple of folks happy to shuffle for you. It's really not a big deal. And if it is a big deal to someone at the table, they're a dickhead. Make sure you stack them.

And to be honest, it's likely there will be at least a player or two who will actually shuffle worse than you with 100% mobility in both hands.

It's not the self conscious part, just trying to be considerate of other players...especially since I may only know the host, and not very well at that.

I’m always happy to shuffle for anybody for any reason. And other players are too. When I got knocked out of a tournament last week, I became the dealer. But for whatever reasons, every one of the last 5 players grabbed a deck and shuffled it, at some point - people just generally eager to help keep the game going.

.I cant shuffle cards any more. For my own games it's a non-issue because I have a cheap shuffler I keep by my side. However, I have been to a couple home games (not mine) and the button rotates around, person behind the dealer shuffles...standar operation.
My question is, if you were hosting and someone in my situation showed up
I have a reg in my game in a similar situation. Doesn't have use of one arm as a result of a bad car accident 20 years ago. One of us always shuffles for him and he's capable of dealing and everything else. In a friendly game, passing the shuffle shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom