Tourney Heads-Up Tournament Plan and Structure (1 Viewer)

Al Azouri

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I thought I's share my Heads-Up tournament structure and open it up for suggestions.

I've hosted three of these to date and I'm planing a fourth one soon.

12 players
Yes, twelve. We play 3 rounds: 12 down to 6, 6 down to 3 and the final table is 3-way. I know that's not truly heads-up but it works. One of the things I really like about this structure is that after the first round we have enough players to start a Cash Game. Also, 12 players is easy to host on two tables.

1567700658200.png

Blind Structure
The tournament is structured for about 90 minute rounds with 15 minute levels.
1567705992377.png

Payouts
  • Round 1 winners get their buy-in back.
  • Round 2 winners get 2 but-ins.
  • 2nd Place gets 3 buy-ins.
  • 1st place gets 4 buy-ins.

*I'd love to hear suggestions on improving this payout structure. What I like about this structure is that you don't have to make change, but it feels like 1st place should win more.

Seating
I've come up with a pretty cool way to draw for seats and designate seats with seat markers,
I made matching seat checks and cut cards. Players draw their seat checks from the bag then they go find the matching cut card that indicates their seat.

IMG_1878.jpg

The cut cards and seat checks will make their debut at my next event.

Last edited:
I would adjust the payout structure to only pay the Top 3 players and pay 50/30/20 or 60/30/10. (For some reason, I like 50/30/20 for this one.) I guess, if you really don’t want to make change, you could go 6 buyins, 4, and 2.

Paying first round winners just seems too much to me.

I agree with @Gobbs -- paying first round winners seems spreading the payouts too thin, essentially giving 4th/5th/6th place their buy-in back, leaving only 75% of the prize pool to distribute to the top three finishers.

I'd go with 50%-30%-20% payouts for this structure (compared to 33.3%-25%-16.7%-8.3%(×3) as currently configured). Or for easier math, 6/4/2 buy-ins for 1st/2nd/3rd (50%/33.3%/16.7%).

The rest of the structure seems great. 80BB is plenty for a good heads-up battle, and most matches will finish by L6 (90 minutes).

Think you should make it a 12 team bracket where 8 ppl play into the round of 8. 4 players have a “bye”.

You’d have to adjust the buyin slightly. Example if you were going to do a $100 BI ($1200 prizepool), you make the 4 byes pay $150 and the 8 ppl with the “play in” matches pay only $75. This way accomplishes the same $1200 prize pool.

You just have to let players know they will have to pay a premium if they get a bye.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom