Heads-Up Table Ideas and Input (1 Viewer)

chipsncoffee

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hey all!

I’m going to be building a heads-up table for myself and my brother soon, and I wanted to ask you all a few things!

Most importantly, where might I be able to find hinges that latch? I want to make my own legs for the table, but I also want them to be capable of folding for easier storage. I will be using the table seen below as inspiration.

E4E0F703-5F37-4638-BCAB-4F3F023B4353.jpeg

I was thinking about doing a 3/4” lighted, raised rail, but I’m kind of leaning in a simpler direction. However, should I decide to do the raised rail, how would I connect the LEDs to some sort of battery as opposed to having a dangling cord which would plug into a wall outlet?

I also wanted to ask what type of product I should be using to put over the gloss, black paint to protect it as well as to give it the sheen that these tables have.

I will definitely be going with a @T_Chan custom cloth and Whisper vinyl from YAT. I’ve heard a lot of mixed opinions where Volara playing surface foam goes. What would you all recommend?

Thanks so much everyone!

Here’s a rough render of the table. The idea is for it to be 48” x 28” using 3/4” plywood with a 4” rail.

70F282BD-40DE-4E7A-8B89-70A3465A6CB3.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by hinges with a latch.

Folding legs on a HU table may be a challenge. A table leg is generally 29". To fold them, one would overlap the other if the table was <58"and at the very ends. That is big (or at least wide) for a HU table.

Amazon sells LED rope lights that are battery powered.

Polyurethane works well to give stained surfaces a glossy look.

I'm not sure what you mean by hinges with a latch.

Folding legs on a HU table may be a challenge. A table leg is generally 29". To fold them, one would overlap the other if the table was <58"and at the very ends. That is big (or at least wide) for a HU table.

Amazon sells LED rope lights that are battery powered.

Polyurethane works well to give stained surfaces a glossy look.

Thank you for the input!

I wouldn’t mind if the legs overlapped when folded. What I was referring to was some sort of mechanism that would lock them at a 90° angle like most metal folding legs have.

If I don’t end up making my own legs, I may go with something else. I’ve decided to expand the table a bit from 48” x 28” to 48” x 30”, and I’ve heard great things about Gorilla legs, but I’m wondering how they’d do on a table this small.

Thank you for the input!

I wouldn’t mind if the legs overlapped when folded. What I was referring to was some sort of mechanism that would lock them at a 90° angle like most metal folding legs have.
It's not just overlap, it's about angles. The 2nd leg to fold won't sit flat against the 1st leg, it will fold until it can't. From that point on, it continues to project away from the table.

Someone with trigonometry or geometry, or one of those math ometrys might have a formula that can explain it better and calculate how far is would stick out based on leg width, how far apart they are hinged, and how long the legs are. I just have this:
Untitled-1.jpg

Perhaps you are ok with this, I would not be. I would consider removable legs that sat in a channel and were pinned in. I would then have a bolt through the middle bottom of the table, and a hole in each leg. For storage, the legs would slide over the bolt and be secured with a washer and nut.

It's not just overlap, it's about angles. The 2nd leg to fold won't sit flat against the 1st leg, it will fold until it can't. From that point on, it continues to project away from the table.

Someone with trigonometry or geometry, or one of those math ometrys might have a formula that can explain it better and calculate how far is would stick out based on leg width, how far apart they are hinged, and how long the legs are. I just have this:
View attachment 487068

Perhaps you are ok with this, I would not be. I would consider removable legs that sat in a channel and were pinned in. I would then have a bolt through the middle bottom of the table, and a hole in each leg. For storage, the legs would slide over the bolt and be secured with a washer and nut.

I completely understand. I was thinking about your proposed idea about using removable legs. That might be the route to go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom