• Shove

• Fold

• Call

Results are only viewable after voting.

CraigT78

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Playing heads up at the final table for the win. Villian is a 73 year old poker pro - hero is a beer guzzling home game donk. Chips stacks are roughly even at ~500k, hero has is slight chip lead, with the blinds 30k/60k.

Hero hold :jd::th: in the SB and has decided to call/raise if bet into.

Hero calls.

Villian raises to 120k - his second raise heads up.

What does hero do?

Heads up history - hero has played very aggressive since being heads up and villain has folded to most aggression. Hero won the first all-in and has stolen 200k in blinds over the last several hands, folding only once to a min-raise.

1st pays $7,000
2nd pays $4,860

Curious to what the "Right" move here would have been.

Last edited:
Playing heads up at the final table for the win. Villian is a 73 year old poker pro - hero is a beer guzzling home game donk. Chips stacks are roughly even at ~500k, hero has is slight chip lead, with the blinds 30k/60k.

Hero raises to 120k - his second raise heads up.

What does hero do?

Heads up history - hero has played very aggressive since being heads up and villain has folded to most aggression. Hero won the first all-in and has stolen 200k in blinds over the last several hands, folding only once to a min-raise.

1st pays $7,000
2nd pays $4,860

Curious to what the "Right" move here would have been.

If you are small blind you are on the button and first to act what did you do?

I don’t really play tourneys, but if he is folding to most of your aggression and seemingly raising only premium hands, surely you are better off folding and waiting for a better spot to call a large raise from sb.

Given how the villain has played so far (and assuming he has nitty tendencies like many older players) I’d expect that more often than not, villain has the best hand in this spot.

I’d fold.

Edit. I misread the blinds and didn’t realise it was a minraise. cant fold to a minraise.

Last edited:
I think you have to call another 60k to win 240k, don’t you?
I mean you don’t HAVE to; you’re -ev against aces, but you’re +ev against AK. I’d be comfortable with a call here.

Not sure why anyone would jam pre here unless you’re jamming any two... you’re behind 100% of hands that call, and badly. Any pair is either a flip or MUCH worse, any two broadway cards and you’re either dominated or facing two overs and a ragged ace is over/under.

Call the min raise and don’t get fancy... you don’t have to win every hand, whiffing the flop and check/folding is not a big deal.

Not sure why anyone would jam pre here unless you’re jamming any two... you’re behind 100% of hands that call, and badly. Any pair is either a flip or MUCH worse, any two broadway cards and you’re either dominated or facing two overs and a ragged ace is over/under.

Call the min raise and don’t get fancy... you don’t have to win every hand, whiffing the flop and check/folding is not a big deal.
My thoughts exactly. I think I'm more likely to jam an A7o, if I have to jam. But there's no need to jam here.

Yeah, I'm limping on the button with JTo and flat calling Villain's min-raise as I open another beer.

No reason for Hero to go to war with this hand..... unless he smashes the flop. Probably betting if Villain fails to C-bet the flop, regardless.

Hero calls.

Villian raises to 120k - his second raise heads up.

In position, a mini-bump to the SB suggests he's trying to build the pot. He might have a pair or overs. If that's true, I wouldn't want to bet my tournament life on (at best) a coin toss.

For certain, call and see a flop. No shove.

How wide do you think Villan calls a shove here?

So it looks like I overwhelmingly made the "WRONG" decision as I shoved. Villain snap called and tabled :ac::kh:

:tc::ts::3s:

Don't even know what the turn and river were.

Thanks all for the feedback - I figured two Broadway cards were good enough for a shove - but the consensus is I should have just called. Still working on my H/U play. (y) :thumbsup:

So it looks like I overwhelmingly made the "WRONG" decision as I shoved. Villain snap called and tabled :ac::kh:

:tc::ts::3s:

Don't even know what the turn and river were.

Thanks all for the feedback - I figured two Broadway cards were good enough for a shove - but the consensus is I should have just called. Still working on my H/U play. (y) :thumbsup:

As the saying goes.... it's better to be lucky than good. ;)

I personally would’ve raised the button instead of flatting. JT is a very playable hand in position, so I like a raise instead of the flat call. I also don’t mind calling a 3-bet in position when Villain inevitably raises with AK. A raise with the JT polarizes your range more and there’s a good chance that it all goes in anyways.

I wonder if it would have played out any differently if hero flatted.
Flop is :ts::tc::3c:
Pot is 240k
stack sizes are both about 380k?

If I'm villain sitting on AK, I think there's a good chance that I'm ahead. There's not many hands left in this tournament - aren't the chips coming in anyway, or do some of you find a fold for the villain?

JTo has reverse implied odds issues. Yes, it is seductive to call a min raise. And with deep enough stacks, I would too. But the stacks are not deep. Hero has already put ~1/8th of stack in the pot and is considering putting in another 1/8th. The SPR is barely over one . . . no place for JTo.

Most notably, lets say Hero flops top pair. If villain has an over pair, hero is in deep trouble. If villain has over cards or a lesser pair, villain might be able to save most of his stack. Most of the time Hero misses the flop and/or makes second pair.

Heads up success depends a lot on make more off your fold equity than villain earns. I HATE calling in a heads up match. There is no fold equity in calling. It invites future aggression, exactly what Hero doesn't want playing JTo.

Let's not be befuddled with a "min raise". It is a huge chunk of Hero's stack and creates a pot commitment situation whenever he flops a pair or a draw. Every single decision is vital when Hero is playing a short stack with that low an "M".

Personally I think it is a shove as Hero's first action, not a call. If Hero can't do that, then fold. And if Hero limps and gets raised, it is a fold there too.

DrStrange

I personally would’ve raised the button instead of flatting. JT is a very playable hand in position, so I like a raise instead of the flat call. I also don’t mind calling a 3-bet in position when Villain inevitably raises with AK. A raise with the JT polarizes your range more and there’s a good chance that it all goes in anyways.

JTo has reverse implied odds issues. Yes, it is seductive to call a min raise. And with deep enough stacks, I would too. But the stacks are not deep. Hero has already put ~1/8th of stack in the pot and is considering putting in another 1/8th. The SPR is barely over one . . . no place for JTo.

Most notably, lets say Hero flops top pair. If villain has an over pair, hero is in deep trouble. If villain has over cards or a lesser pair, villain might be able to save most of his stack. Most of the time Hero misses the flop and/or makes second pair.

Heads up success depends a lot on make more off your fold equity than villain earns. I HATE calling in a heads up match. There is no fold equity in calling. It invites future aggression, exactly what Hero doesn't want playing JTo.

Let's not be befuddled with a "min raise". It is a huge chunk of Hero's stack and creates a pot commitment situation whenever he flops a pair or a draw. Every single decision is vital when Hero is playing a short stack with that low an "M".

Personally I think it is a shove as Hero's first action, not a call. If Hero can't do that, then fold. And if Hero limps and gets raised, it is a fold there too.

DrStrange

The reason I played it as I did - I had raised several worse hands to get him to fold his blinds - sometimes in the SB other in the BB. My flat here was the first since playing heads up - I either folded or raised. I was thinking call-shove the whole time and when he min raised I felt he "fell into my trap" although with an actual hand. Him having AK was not part of my "plan". I figured there was more chance of him folding his hand to my shove than him actually having a hand here. This is quite possibly part of my game that I need to improve on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom