Having Trouble Cleaning Chips (1 Viewer)

SirFatalx

High Hand
Reaction score
I am having some trouble cleaning my factory new chips that have factory dust on them. I attempted to soak them in water with dish soap and then scrubbed them with a toothbrush for a while but they seem to have dust that stays on the chip. I am currently cleaning Majestic chips. I was thinking about cleaning them how I am for now, and then oiling them later.

Last edited:
I wouldn't oil CCs. A wet towel and a nice pressured Scrub should do what you need. Oil don't really be Absorbed in the plastic.

I wouldn't oil CCs. A wet towel and a nice pressured Scrub should do what you need. Oil don't really be Absorbed in the plastic.

I've read a few different takes on this. Do you think it is not necessary in general or just not worth the time?

Thanks, I am new to chipping and trying to figure out my first set! May start with CCs.

I've read a few different takes on this. Do you think it is not necessary in general or just not worth the time?

Thanks, I am new to chipping and trying to figure out my first set! May start with CCs.
Oil will do nothing for china clays except make them slimy, slippery, and give higher risk to causing the label to peel off. You shouldnt really soak them in water either - also not good for the labels. Most likely the dust is something that will wear off over time with use, this happens alot. It's almost more of a whiteish haze than a dust, seems to make them dull and not shiny. It is the plastic material mixed within the "clay" and most likely with use you will see that go away. Try shuffling a stack for a few days and see if it improves.
Edit: realized you are not OP so, take what you will from the info but please dont feel as though I was directing instructions at you for chips you don't own yet :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Also - pictures of the problem would help us all better direct you

Thank you for the detailed explanation! I only have some CC samples at the moment, but was curious for if or when I pull the trigger on a full set. I do see the "whiteish haze" you are referring to.

I oiled my Royal CCs prior to putting on my custom labels. I think it makes a big difference. Once the labels are on, however, I wouldn‘t do more than lightly oil the barrel edges.

I oiled my Royal CCs prior to putting on my custom labels. I think it makes a big difference. Once the labels are on, however, I wouldn‘t do more than lightly oil the barrel edges.

I totally agree. The Royals saw huge benefit from oiling them. They were my first attempt and I used way too much oil and they still came out great.

Maybe it's the huge inconsistency in quality between different CCs that makes people say oiling them is a waste.

A mass-rinse and an individual wipe should be more than enough to get rid of factory dust.
Oiling is meaningful, but no more than half a teaspoon of "mineral" oil on a shoeshine sponge, for every 100 chips at least.

Some china clay colors (mostly the darker hues) can benefit cosmetically from a light oiling.

Most cc labels can easily withstand the oiling pricess if done properly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom