Have you flown with a table topper? (1 Viewer)

Ethan

Full House
Reaction score
Ill start off by admitting I am spoiled. Nice cards. Nice chips. Nice table for even for small home games.

I’ve got a trip to Mexico with a group of 8 friends that love poker nearly as much as I do. When the sun goes down the chips will come out.

I can’t stand the thought of playing on a hard kitchen table surface in our Airbnb. Any pro tips on what to do? Travel with a neoprene table topper and if so how? Any other ideas?

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

For reference I have a PCF oval topper and gifted a slightly smaller Walmart topper to a friend in the group that I can borrow.

Based on size, I would think you'd have to check it. But, assuming that's not cost prohibitive based on the airline that's probably what I'd do.

You could also just get a foldable cloth - wouldn't give you the "spring" of a topper to pick up cards, but would at least give you some help with dealing/sliding cards and would be cheap and packable into a suitcase or carry on.

Definitely bring a topper! Should be easily worth it, even if it means you need to pay a bit extra for checking it. Could honestly go in the hand luggage as well if you fold it, the cheaper one is probably a bit thinner and could be folded without being damaged. At least mine came rolled up and then folded once when I ordered it online. I was really surprised and was getting ready to email the seller that it was not packed properly as I expected the folding to damage the topper somehow, but turns out it was totally fine when I rolled it out. If it fits the carry on probably depends on how strict the airline is with stuff like that I guess.

Anyways, you could also just ask the other guys to chip in a few bucks to cover the extra cost. Will make the evenings a lot more enjoyable for everyone imo, compared to playing on a hard wood/stone surface.

I wanna go too!

Yes traveled to Jamaica with a topper and it was great. Tommy found a camera equipment bag that fits those toppers perfectly and I carried on the topper and a versa birdcage in the plane. Topper above and chips at my feet. Worth it to play like this with some coworkers.

1ADFE4D9-DCED-4A27-B9C3-75487510E407.jpeg

I love all of the feedback so far! Thanks guys!

Do you have to check it or can you carry it on the plane?
I've never tried to carry it on since it's 36" long, and I believe the max length for a carry-on is 22".

The one time I flew with it, I strapped it to a 36" roller duffel bag and checked it. I'm sure you could check it standalone as well.

For the Meet in the Suite, I packed a large, foldable piece of foam.
1652380417789.jpeg

Not as good as a topper, but far better than a hard table, and fit right in my luggage adding very little extra weight. Someone else brought a PCF topper that was used for the main table.

I traveled with a chip case once. I got detained at the airport in DR because it looked like a bomb on the X-ray machine. They did not see the humor in that. Though I’m sure they felt very dumb after they asked me to open it.

I traveled with a chip case once. I got detained at the airport in DR because it looked like a bomb on the X-ray machine. They did not see the humor in that. Though I’m sure they felt very dumb after they asked me to open it.
As someone who almost always flies with chips, I find it easier/safer to tell the TSA agent that you have poker chips in the case. They will likely still check/swab the chips (can't be too safe), but putting them at ease will make the process go a little faster.

Regularly fly with tons of dice for running games, get stopped without fail. At one point they told me they'd be cutting one to check for drugs. I told them they weren't, and that was kind of that. Just made it clear I wouldn't be consenting to any dice damage!

Regularly fly with tons of dice for running games, get stopped without fail. At one point they told me they'd be cutting one to check for drugs. I told them they weren't, and that was kind of that. Just made it clear I wouldn't be consenting to any dice damage!
Hiding drugs in a topper....

interesting-excellent.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom