Has anyone put deeper cupholders in their Barrington table? (2 Viewers)

I got a Barrington table as a gift and have ordered speedcloth - was wondering if those of you who resurfaced filled in the crack? I don’t need it to fold up is it possibly to fill the center crack with wood putty, sand, and cover? Also, what guides did you guys use? Any and all help is super appreciated. :)
Probably easier/better to put in new playing surface foam

I got a Barrington table as a gift and have ordered speedcloth - was wondering if those of you who resurfaced filled in the crack? I don’t need it to fold up is it possibly to fill the center crack with wood putty, sand, and cover? Also, what guides did you guys use? Any and all help is super appreciated. :)
I haven't upgraded mine yet. Picking it up tomorrow. But I'm still toying with the idea of joining the two halves. The one reason I'm leaning towards not doing it is I didnt order any additional foam and I think youd want to get rid of the existing foam, woodfill the crack, thrm foam and resurface. Idk I feel like it could work. Other than how saggy it would be in the middle, can't imagine any issues with thaf

You could but it'd probably be more work than it's worth. The foam and cloth wrap around the end of the table and are stapled to the underside... so you'd need to peel that back to the surface and the join both halves to together - you could probably accomplish this with flat brackets like these. After recovering with pad and cloth filling and sanding the seam probably isn't necessary.

The problem (and this is difficult to predict until you get into the project) is that by closing that gap and pulling the two halves together, the sections of rail will no longer fit where they originally did and the ones on the end might not mate correctly. You might be able to solve this by simply redrilling the pilot holes where they now line up - but no way to really know how closing that gap will affect the fit until you get into it.

I reupholstered mine with SSF and the seam isn't an issue at all. If you're sitting in the five seat you can't stack chips right on the seam, but aside from that it's really not an inconvenience at all.

I reupholstered mine with SSF and the seam isn't an issue at all. If you're sitting in the five seat you can't stack chips right on the seam, but aside from that it's really not an inconvenience at all.
+1

I did about 6 different things to upgrade my barrington table (deep cup holders, new brackets, new felt, etc.) but didn’t mind the seam enough to change anything.

+1

I did about 6 different things to upgrade my barrington table (deep cup holders, new brackets, new felt, etc.) but didn’t mind the seam enough to change anything.

What was wrong with the original brackets? They seemed fine to me.

For deeper cupholders, I assume you just removed the stock metal cups and bored through the playing surface with a hole saw the same size as the opening. But aren't the deeper cupholders now exposed under the playing surface? Did you glue them in place to keep peoples' knees from bumping them?

What was wrong with the original brackets? They seemed fine to me.

For deeper cupholders, I assume you just removed the stock metal cups and bored through the playing surface with a hole saw the same size as the opening. But aren't the deeper cupholders now exposed under the playing surface? Did you glue them in place to keep peoples' knees from bumping them?
I just put one long bracket in place since I’ll be holding it up after every game I didn’t want to worry about it. Only cost $9 and took 5 min to switch.

Your spot on about the fear of people knocking into them plus the only thing holding them up at that point is the crappy padding so to fix both issues I added a box base to them all. Ran into an issue with the legs though so had to trim those down as well but the end product works perfectly and I never have to worry about someone pushing their cup holder through the table.
7B1DDFA1-2F7D-4491-A0CD-201C5711EA09.jpeg
D59603FF-C5FA-46B8-98CF-757CEDFC1DDC.jpeg
A1016349-E55E-4776-9C5C-94F69DCD1586.jpeg
4930AE86-9FA7-437C-9EEE-C3414A785211.jpeg

Even with the box base the bottoms of them aren’t lower than the table edge itself so you don’t really notice they’re there.

I see. So you really can't go lower than the bottom of the outer trim piece or else the table won't close up properly.

Thanks for the pics.
Exactly but any lower even if you never planned on folding and they'd be that much more noticeable to peoples legs and no problem! Was very proud of my work albeit still fairly amateurish :D

Hi, from the future here. Don’t cut the leather with the hole saw. Don’t cut the leather at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom