Cash Game Has anyone done a limit & NL mixed game night w/ a set break down that works for both? (1 Viewer)

Manbearpig

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi, My poker playing friends are all mostly into tourney style atm, I have a micro stakes cash set that I plan to introduce more of them to cash style play. I recently found a great deal in a cheap limit set (1500+) and want to introduce limit play with mixed games that seem so fun, as I think it would be a much more fun and friendly type game for the group.

So as the title reads, has anyone tried a mixed game night that has limit and no limit style games, but with a starting stack breakdown that would accommodate both?

brad Owen playing 5/10 at Bellagio with their break down seems kinda cool. A hundo on top of every barrel of 10’s, would work for microstakes maybe

Anyways, thanks a bunch for all the friendly shared poker knowledge here!

T

I do have a friendly family dealers' choice sort of game that mixes limit and NL forms.

I think to keep the risk level similar, the blinds should be 1.5-2x as high in the limit games as in the no limit games. For example we play NL games with 0.10-0.20 blinds. We will play limit games with 0.30/0.60 limits (meaning 0.10-0.30 blinds.)

I issue two barrels of dimes to each player and the rest in singles and half-dollars. This seems to keep the chips needed in play for both forms.

We used to do a PL/Limit Dealer's choice game. We had about a dozen games that were considered 'in play', from Stud, Flop and Draw games. One player would pick a game and we would play that game for one orbit, plus one hand. Then the next player would pick and so on.

We did either $.25/$.25 or $.25/$.50 for the PL games and $1/$2 for the limit games. Min buy-in was usually $10 and max was $50 or $100 depending on the PL big blind. Most players bought in for $20-$40 at a time.

Frankly, I am not in favor of doing this, but you can make it work. @Seeking Alpha Social Club did it....we played 2/4 limit which played like the earth was ending tomorrow and money didnt matter, and 1/1 NLHE....which played like his regular game....only slightly crazy.

It can work, but I am just not a fan. My preference would be to only play fixed limit mixed games, but there are like 100 people left in the world that would play that, and 50 of them are on this forum.

If you can find just 4 other players that would play 2/4 limit, I would spread that over an unlimited number of NLHE players. You don't need a big table full of players to have a great night of poker. Good luck in your quest to find 4 other awesome people!

Also, a big note: Dealer's choice should go one full rotation around the table of selected game, then the next guy picks the next game. Not changing every hand....this breaks up the flow, as the next guy is sitting there going "hmmmm....what to play? what to play?"

Frankly, I am not in favor of doing this, but you can make it work. @Seeking Alpha Social Club did it....we played 2/4 limit which played like the earth was ending tomorrow and money didnt matter, and 1/1 NLHE....which played like his regular game....only slightly crazy.

It can work, but I am just not a fan. My preference would be to only play fixed limit mixed games, but there are like 100 people left in the world that would play that, and 50 of them are on this forum.

If you can find just 4 other players that would play 2/4 limit, I would spread that over an unlimited number of NLHE players. You don't need a big table full of players to have a great night of poker. Good luck in your quest to find 4 other awesome people!

Also, a big note: Dealer's choice should go one full rotation around the table of selected game, then the next guy picks the next game. Not changing every hand....this breaks up the flow, as the next guy is sitting there going "hmmmm....what to play? what to play?"
I've only done it a couple times, so I'm not a big fan. Full disclosure, we're mostly NLHE players, so everything is stupid! :)

I've done a ten game mixed rotation that included 25c/50c NLHE, 25c/25c PLO8, 2/4 (bets) Limit 7Stud, Stud8, Razz, Badugi, 2-7 Triple Draw... I'm missing some in here. I limited the game to 8 players.

I used a per player breakdown similar to the following (for a $100 buy-in).
12x 25c
42x $1
11x $5

It played fine.

I do suggest however... when introducing new players to the variety of games... do this over multiple weeks. I would play an hour of a given game with my players prior to my normal NLHE night. After playing each game that was new to them, one time... I was ready to host a mixed game night. The first mixed game night was simply Limit HORSE. Once they were comfortable with those games, I added more.

I have since invited some predominately HoldEm players to the mixed game. Just threw them into the deep end (didn't ease them in like I did my regulars). They didn't enjoy the "crazy" games.

One player would pick a game and we would play that game for one orbit, plus one hand.

Yes, I want to agree with this as well. We do one full rotation of each game without the plus-one when we play dealer's choice. Dealer calls the game, deals it first. Then the deal skips him after the rotation is complete and the next player calls it.

When I do forced-rotation (AD-BOTS mix is the future, Archie, Dramaha, Badugi, Omaha, Triple Draw, Stud8), we just change games when the deal gets to seat 1.

You can also do counters. Count 8 hands (or whatever number) of each game (get some blank extra chips or something) and then switch games when that number of hands are played.

Yes, I want to agree with this as well. We do one full rotation of each game without the plus-one when we play dealer's choice. Dealer calls the game, deals it first. Then the deal skips him after the rotation is complete and the next player calls it.

When I do forced-rotation (AD-BOTS mix is the future, Archie, Dramaha, Badugi, Omaha, Triple Draw, Stud8), we just change games when the deal gets to seat 1.

You can also do counters. Count 8 hands (or whatever number) of each game (get some blank extra chips or something) and then switch games when that number of hands are played.
All these options trump changing the game every hand. I have a couple groups I play in that need this taught to them. One group just moved on from "follow the queen" though, so I don't want to force them to move too quickly. (The other group still plays wild card games. It's a process)

I have 6 player a micro stakes set with lots of chips and it works well for limit too.

100x5c
240x25c
340x$1

We play .05/.10 or .10/.25 NL and .50/1 fixed limit. Most games have been limit lately and the $40 starting stacks are:

40x25c
$30x$1

If we mix in no limit starting stacks would be around $20.

Not the most efficient breakdown ( wanted lots of chips) but it works. The bank is a little light for .10/.25 no limit but my regs aren't big gamblers and rarely go through more than 2 buy ins each.

Forgot to mention: I play a mixed limit game online that sometimes plays nl. Stakes are as follows:

-$1.5/3 limit games....standard rules, 1 bet and 3 raise max, although unlimited raises head's up.
-.25/.50 big bet games nlhe and pot limit omaha variants. There is a $30 cap per player on the pot...meaning you can only bet up to this cap per hand. Easy to do online, probably a pain to do live.

All these options trump changing the game every hand. I have a couple groups I play in that need this taught to them. One group just moved on from "follow the queen" though, so I don't want to force them to move too quickly. (The other group still plays wild card games. It's a process)
We still play that in this particular game I mentioned :). 0.10 ante, 0.10 bring in for stud games :p.

Forgot to mention: I play a mixed limit game online that sometimes plays nl. Stakes are as follows:

-$1.5/3 limit games....standard rules, 1 bet and 3 raise max, although unlimited raises head's up.
-.25/.50 big bet games nlhe and pot limit omaha variants. There is a $30 cap per player on the pot...meaning you can only bet up to this cap per hand. Easy to do online, probably a pain to do live.
I used to play NLHE this way. 0.25-0.50 blinds 40 hand cap. It's actually not that hard to track live, you just set aside one of the final bets from each round to have your running total.

Unfortunately hand-cap games are not popular and the table max is the more accepted means of putting a governor on NL. Too bad, because I think hand-cap makes infinitely more sense.

Easy to do online, probably a pain to do live.

I tried this live with these rules:

- put your cap chips in front of the barrel of your blind chips each hand.
- blind chips aren't included in your cap.

It was a bit of a pain and even I made the mistake of betting with chips behind my barrel of blind chips.

After that I tried .25-$5 spread limit and it worked pretty well.

For a while our group used to play an 8 game mixed rotation with limit and pot/NL games. The limit games were played $3/6 and the big bet games were played $1/1 blinds. $150 was the max buy-in.

$1 & $5 work well enough for the limit games.

300 $1
300 $5
Add $25’s for rebuys/add-ons.

I used to deal a single-table mixed game that included rotations of NLHE, PLO, PLO8, Omaha8, Stud8, and Razz. Hold'em was 1/2, both PLO variants were 50c/$1, and the three limit games were all 2/4 ($1/$2 blinds or 50c ante/$1 bring-in).

Initial buy-ins were $100, and if memory serves, his chip set consisted of:
100 x fracs (undenominated)
200 x $1
600 x $5
100 x $25
100 x $100

Never ran out of chips, and change-making was minimal.

Last edited:
Never ran out of chips, and change-making was minimal.
I am actually surprised by that if it's an 8-handed game that's only about 25 singles per player. I would think you would want around 40 chips per player at a minimum for the limit games anyway. This really is a challenge to PCF lore that 100 chips per player is ideal for 2-chip/4-chip limit structures.

I am actually surprised by that if it's an 8-handed game that's only about 25 singles per player. I would think you would want around 40 chips per player at a minimum for the limit games anyway. This really is a challenge to PCF lore that 100 chips per player is ideal for 2-chip/4-chip limit structures.
Typically 7-handed due to 4-hole and 7-card dealt games, occasionally 8-handed with a button sit-out. So an average of 25 to 28 $1 chips per player, depending. Ideal? No, but certainly playable.

Although I'd personally want more $1s in a full-on limit game, it worked fine in a mixed setting since players simply used $5 chips as needed. Definitely very few 8-chip bets and raises though, lol. One could surmise that play was maybe a bit tighter, although this was a pretty loose crew.

Occasonally his mixed game nights were bigger stakes with 1/2 PLO and 5/10 limit games (no Hold'em). 200 x $1s in play seemed to work then, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom