Has anyone built a foldable rail to put on top regular tables? (1 Viewer)

TrainerRed

High Hand
Reaction score
I went to store that had some stuff on clearance, and I saw it... 1" 1/2 mattress topper.
I wasn't thinking in building a table, but I have a 48" Lifetime foldable table.
Can I just use the foam to build a foldable arm-rail? So I can put it on top whenever I play poker
Is there a tutorial just for this?
(I have a feeling some members were also not planning to build a table, but ended up in a similar situation when they found 1 thing for cheap, then the other...and suddenly they built the table)

Interesting idea. Can it be done? Sure if you have the skills and a good plan. Would you just lay it on the table or clamp it on somehow? You've got to keep it from moving around. I suppose create a frame on the bottom of the rail that drops over and goes completely around the table? May want it in two pieces, either hinged, or with some type of latch that connects the two (or even 4) pieces together. Is the table you want to use it with round, oval, square or rectangular?

Interesting idea. Can it be done? Sure if you have the skills and a good plan. Would you just lay it on the table or clamp it on somehow? You've got to keep it from moving around. I suppose create a frame on the bottom of the rail that drops over and goes completely around the table? May want it in two pieces, either hinged, or with some type of latch that connects the two (or even 4) pieces together. Is the table you want to use it with round, oval, square or rectangular?

It's a 48" lifetime round foldable table. I didn't want to build a table so I just bought this felt for it...then I bought 0.5cm foam for the bottom so I could sew it and the cards could have some cushion. Then I found the 1" 1/2" foam on sale as well, and thought I could build a rail that can be folded with hinges.

1639462513532.png

Instead of hinges, you could make the rail in pieces and attach them with a latch on the underside.
If you use one like this, it would draw the pieces tight against each other as well:
F82547FA-8361-4C13-A9D5-8EFB2CDD04BA.jpeg

Anyone tried this yet? I have a round table and a topper and thinking about building a 3 piece rail thats easy to store and easy to build. Big sheets of plywood is a nightmare to find so thats part of the reason I am thinking of this solution as well.

Anyone tried this yet? I have a round table and a topper and thinking about building a 3 piece rail thats easy to store and easy to build. Big sheets of plywood is a nightmare to find so thats part of the reason I am thinking of this solution as well.
I have built several sectional rails, for both round and oval tables and toppers. Some use the simple latch connector shown above; others use cam lock fasteners. Cam locks are more stable, but harder to implement.

I have built several sectional rails, for both round and oval tables and toppers. Some use the simple latch connector shown above; others use cam lock fasteners. Cam locks are more stable, but harder to implement.
Cool. Any pictures of process or finished tables?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom