Happy 4th of July Mates!! (1 Viewer)

Phantom

Full House
Reaction score
Hope you all have a safe and happy day. :D

4 July 1918 - The Battle of Hamel
The Aussies and Yanks went into battle side by side for the first time on this historic day to capture the village of Hamel in just over 90 minutes. Thus began a bond that endures til this very day. Bless you all and stay safe. Brothers in Arms.
Adam Holloway 100.JPG

---------
Young Alf Holloway (a relative) of the 42nd Battalion (Australian Imperial Force) was among the men who went forward that day, and my father served alongside the Yanks in Vietnam.
(Pictured) the village of Hamel from the 42nd Battalion start line looking east, 2012.

Cheers,
Adam

... my father served alongside the Yanks in Vietnam...

Hi -- where and when was he?

Most of the Aussies we saw in-country were small rock bands entertaining now and then at the largest bases. They provided a most welcome moment of sanity...

Hi -- where and when was he?

Most of the Aussies we saw in-country were small rock bands entertaining now and then at the largest bases. They provided a most welcome moment of sanity...
Aussie base at Nui Dat, Phyoc Tuy Province, 1970/71. He was a lead guitarist haha (just joking). Artillery surveyor, headed out with the infantry on surveying ops for new forward support bases. Had a few close calls. Traded his standard issue SLR (self loading rifle) for an M-16. Enjoyed the US rations a whole lot more than the WW2-era ones we still had haha.

We value our relationship with our American cousins.

When the young 'Dough Boys' arrived in France, many were sent along to the Australian training schools and to various units to learn. One of my other relatives (we had 11 men serve in WW1) said of the them in March 1918 -

"I have seen a good deal of the Yanks lately; we have some camps not so far off us; in fact, we had an officer here at the school for a short time to see our methods of instruction. What I have seen are a fine stamp of men. Fritz talks of what he will do when he lays hands on them, but he must take care it is not the other way about."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom