Hand From Last Night's Game (1 Viewer)

MoscowRadio

Flush
Reaction score
I was hosting our Sunday league game last night and a situation came up that I thought would be fun to go over and get some insight from some of the folks here.

The tournament is a $50 buy-in and we started with 8 players. We're now down to 5.

Hero is in the CO with ~315,000 in chips. Hero has a reputation for playing loose and aggressive and people are looking him up pretty often.
Villain is on the button with ~190,000 in chips. Villain is loose and passive. She rarely puts in a raise without a strong hand but she has been getting pushed around by Hero a lot tonight.

Blinds are 1500/3000. It is folded around to Hero who looks down at :jh::th: and puts in a raise to 8000. Villain comes along and both blind fold. Pot is 20,500.

The flop comes :8s::4h::tc:

What is Hero's move? Should Hero bet here, and, if so, how much?

I'm betting 7500 or so here, maybe a little more but nothing more than 10. I get to see where I'm at for cheap, i get pot control, and since I think I want the call it gets more money in the pot. I'm a donk though, so yeah. I bet, hope for a call, and then hope for the 9h on the turn.

I would check-raise this most time and sometimes just check call. If turn is not a scare card I would be hard on the turn (pot size)

As Shaggy mentioned, Villain is loose-passive, so she will most likely check if checked to. While there's not much to protect against at the moment, I think betting would be best to build a pot and see where we're at.

Hero bets 14,000 and Villain calls bringing the pot to 48,500. The turn brings us the :td: Villain has ~165,000 left in chips. What is Hero's move? What range can we assign Villain?

I think I'm reading the future... this is either a brag post or a bad beat. But I will play along.

Likely holding of villain is overcards. Though flopping set and turning boat is a possibility. If villain is still drawing to straight, turn card didn't really change anything. Betting around half pot... 25k.

I think I'm reading the future... this is either a brag post or a bad beat. But I will play along.

Likely holding of villain is overcards. Though flopping set and turning boat is a possibility. If villain is still drawing to straight, turn card didn't really change anything. Betting around half pot... 25k.

It's neither of these. What happens on the river is what makes this whole story come together.

I like the Dr's bets. No way she gets a cheap card and at this point. I have her on three hands. She is 88, 44, or J9. She has top pair, maybe the straight draw, or has you beat beat beat already. No free cards for her. 25K will make her think twice about betting and I'm guessing she'll hit the straight on the river here.

The reason I bet so large on the flop is because Villain has been calling almost any size bet with any part of the board. She doesn't think about risk vs. reward. If she has two overcards to this board, she's calling. She's also calling with middle pair and any straight draw, so Hero is trying to get as much value as possible.

Hero bets 37,000 on the turn and Villain calls bringing the pot to 122,500 and leaving her with ~128,000. This is where Hero starts to worry that his J kicker may be in trouble.

The river brings the :6s:, so the only draw that came in was 79 which would be a very unlikely holding for Villain. However she seems to perk up, so Hero checks and Villain shoves.

Hero's move? If Hero calls and is wrong then he will be left with ~128,000 and will have essentially dusted off 200k in chips.

Against someone I don't know it's a call, probably. Is she capable of shoving with less than a ten? You say she's passive, so I have to give serious consideration to folding.

I'm betting the river as it makes it a whole lot easier to play. She could very well have 66 here that got stubborn, especially with the top board card pairing.

Against someone I don't know it's a call, probably. Is she capable of shoving with less than a ten? You say she's passive, so I have to give serious consideration to folding.

Given the information about this player and the cards I've seen her showdown, she is not likely to be shoving with less than a T. I have seen her get married to large pocket pairs, but if she did have a big pair I would have expected things to play out a little differently.

Hands that beat us:
AT, KT, QT, 88, 44, 66, T8, T6, T4 and 79.

Last edited:
Hands that beat us:
AT, KT, QT, 88, 44, 66, and 79.

And T8... T6 and T4 are outside her PF calling range I guess...

I'm not sure Villain would value bet anything that we beat here, maybe 86, T9, T7 and even less likely QQ and JJ... I think I might find a fold here...

One of the advantages of the sizing the good doc was advocating is that Hero would have room to bet/fold the river...

Given the information about this player and the cards I've seen her showdown, she is not likely to be shoving with less than a T. I have seen her get married to large pocket pairs, but if she did have a big pair I would have expected things to play out a little differently.

Hands that beat us:
AT, KT, QT, 88, 44, 66, and 79.

Well then I think folding is probably the best option.

***Results***

Hero talks to Villain for a minute and then decides to fold. She said she would show her hand if I showed her mine, so I turned up my :jh::th: and she turned over :6c::6d:. She was being super stubborn and caught the :6s: on the river for the full house.

I didn't think it was necessarily very hard to find a fold here, but I'm wondering if my bet-sizing was all wrong here. I know for sure that I shouldn't have bet so much on the turn as she was unlikely to be drawing, but I did want to get max value if she did have any overpair. I'd definitely like to hear what you guy have to say about this.

I'm betting the river as it makes it a whole lot easier to play. She could very well have 66 here that got stubborn, especially with the top board card pairing.

***Results***

Hero talks to Villain for a minute and then decides to fold. She said she would show her hand if I showed her mine, so I turned up my :jh::th: and she turned over :6c::6d:. She was being super stubborn and caught the :6s: on the river for the full house.

I didn't think it was necessarily very hard to find a fold here, but I'm wondering if my bet-sizing was all wrong here. I know for sure that I shouldn't have bet so much on the turn as she was unlikely to be drawing, but I did want to get max value if she did have any overpair. I'd definitely like to hear what you guy have to say about this.
[emoji1]

***Results***

I'm more of a fan of small ball, but you got max value when you had the best hand and put zero money in when you were behind, so I'd say you played the hand pretty well lol.

I was hosting our Sunday league game last night and a situation came up that I thought would be fun to go over and get some insight from some of the folks here.

The tournament is a $50 buy-in and we started with 8 players. We're now down to 5.

Hero is in the CO with ~315,000 in chips. Hero has a reputation for playing loose and aggressive and people are looking him up pretty often.
Villain is on the button with ~190,000 in chips. Villain is loose and passive. She rarely puts in a raise without a strong hand but she has been getting pushed around by Hero a lot tonight.

Blinds are 1500/3000. It is folded around to Hero who looks down at :jh::th: and puts in a raise to 8000. Villain comes along and both blind fold. Pot is 20,500.

The flop comes :8s::4h::tc:

What is Hero's move? Should Hero bet here, and, if so, how much?

All this in a vacuum, and I would like to know villian's bluffing capability but here we go....

*Kind of a whimpy PF raise to state that hero has much post flop so with his table image.

*Bet pot of course lol. Villian didn't raise PF. Put her to a decision.

If she bluffs a lot good. 3-bet her ass if she seems weak.

If she flats, double-barrel any non-scare card

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom