Hand Discussion—how would you play differently? (2 Viewers)

bw114

Waiting List
Reaction score
Home game, blinds are .25/.25, $40 max buy, 6 players. Pretty early in the game, everyone has ~$40 behind

Villian is in the CO.
Hero has 7h8h in the BB.
UTG limps, LJ limps, HJ limps. Villian (CO) bets $1.25. BTN calls, SB folds, BB (hero) calls, LJ folds, HJ folds.

3-ways to a flop comes:
Jd 9s 6d (3-ways, $4.75 in pot)

Hero checks. Villain bets $2.25. BTN folds. Hero calls.

Turn: 5c (2-ways, $9.25 in pot)

Hero checks. Villain bets $4.50. Hero raises to $12. Villain calls.

River: 4s (2-ways, $33.25 in pot)

Hero bets 12. Villain shows QQ and folds.

Would you have reraised the turn like I did? Would you have sized it differently? Considered just calling but didn't want to give Villain a chance to boat up, put him on overpair or set. Should I size down on the river? Wanted to seem like I was barreling with a missed flush draw. Feel like I screwed up not just calling the turn, made strength way too obvious.

No big issues with how you played.....but if are trying to get paid representing a missed flush.....most would have check raised the flop with a flush draw and not the turn with only one card to come

Home game, blinds are .25/.25, $40 max buy, 6 players. Pretty early in the game, everyone has ~$40 behind

Villian is in the CO.
Hero has 7h8h in the BB.
UTG limps, LJ limps, HJ limps. Villian (CO) bets $1.25. BTN calls, SB folds, BB (hero) calls, LJ folds, HJ folds.

3-ways to a flop comes:
Jd 9s 6d (3-ways, $4.75 in pot)

Hero checks. Villain bets $2.25. BTN folds. Hero calls.

Turn: 5c (2-ways, $9.25 in pot)

Hero checks. Villain bets $4.50. Hero raises to $12. Villain calls.

River: 4s (2-ways, $33.25 in pot)

Hero bets 12. Villain shows QQ and folds.

Would you have reraised the turn like I did? Would you have sized it differently? Considered just calling but didn't want to give Villain a chance to boat up, put him on overpair or set. Should I size down on the river? Wanted to seem like I was barreling with a missed flush draw. Feel like I screwed up not just calling the turn, made strength way too obvious.
Seems pretty standard....I would say well played. It's actually a great fold by Villain, and I would make note of that for in the future. I don't see anything in your play that I would correct....but you cant always get max value....even from over pairs.

Afterthought: I think your bet on the river could be bigger maybe, to target a hand with 2 pair or better....but I just think if he is folding for 1/3 pot with QQ, not much you can do against that specific hand. I think a river jam would be more of the standard line, considering stack size v. pot.

Also, welcome to the forum. if you look under the smilie face icon, you can put in the actual cards and make your post more readable...like this:

Hero: :7h::8h:

Board: :jd::9s::6d::5c::4s:

Villain: :qh::qs:

Also, we like to play along, so give us the preflop action and give us time to comment. A few hours later, continue with the flop....and so on.

Keep posting up! Love these threads.

I think the decisions preflop and on the flop are close, no problem with either call.

I think you can pass 87s pre for a 5x raise if the button doesn't get involved, but since he did the pot is laying 2.75-1, on a hand that plays pretty well against two big card type hands.

On the flop the call is okay, but it is worth noting the open end straight draw is weakend for two reasons.

1). There is a two flush of diamonds meaning two cards that make a straight make a flush possible.

2) The presence of a jack means that making the straight with a ten is not to the nuts either as KQ or Q8 straights are also possible.

So while you have 8 outs to a straight on the flop, only 3 are to the nuts, the 5 others at least merit some caution.

But that said the pot is laying better than 3-1 again, I think you peek.

On the turn you hit one of the clean outs and I like the check raise here. It's not obvious to villain how the 5 helps you.

I think the fact he called a turn raise is pretty good value for you even if he folded the river. You can also get called by flush draws and bigger straight draws like KQ or q10 here so I think you do want to charge for these draws.

You can't always collect on the river. But you collected a bet and a raise on the turn, that was probably max value for this hand.

And as stated above of this guy is showing a biggish lay down here, you can watch and exploit of he's over folding the river.

Welcome!

I think you played it pretty well. Is 5x a standard raise pre in the game? It’s on the larger side but I guess it’s fine to flat anyway closing the action with another caller inbetween and being 160bbs deep.

I like the call on the flop. I’d say he has the range advantage since you rarely have top or even middle set with the flat pre. Also, as noted above it’s a weekish open ender with the flush draw present and only the low end will make you the nut straight.

I like the turn raise but I would probably have gone a bit bigger to set up for a smaller sized shove on the river.

It’s a pretty tight fold, perhaps a good one. He does block the most obvious straight draw hard (QT), but I would definitely make a note of that fold.

Agree with the above. I think you played it pretty well.

Perhaps a check on the river would have induced a bet. V maybe thinking you had JT or T9 that missed the straight.

You gave him 4 to 1 odds on a call and he smelled the value bet. Maybe next time bet it harder - make it seem like you are trying to buy it. See if he pays that off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom