Guy intentionally folds Pocket Aces preflop on live TV (1 Viewer)

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
Turned out to be a good move...

his motivation isn't mentioned in the commentary during that clip, but the structure of that show was that the "loose cannon" (i.e., the casual player selected by pokerstars to appear with the "pros") who came away the biggest winner in the season won - in addition to the money he won on the show - a prize package valued at $50k consisting of buy-ins and expenses to attend various live tournaments. this guy was leading at the time he played with a $140k profit, so he wanted to lock it up and get the prize package as well.

his motivation isn't mentioned in the commentary during that clip, but the structure of that show was that the "loose cannon" (i.e., the casual player selected by pokerstars to appear with the "pros") who came away the biggest winner in the season won - in addition to the money he won on the show - a prize package valued at $50k consisting of buy-ins and expenses to attend various live tournaments. this guy was leading at the time he played with a $140k profit, so he wanted to lock it up and get the prize package as well.

He's a math teacher at ASU too! Some of my friends knew him. Unfortunately that douche Bobby "The Bus" Ferdinand, a well-known and very disliked Foxwoods regular, ended up getting it in with AA vs. KK in the last few hands to take the profit lead and the NAPT passport. If you dig in on him a little you can find out that he went broke quickly and his fiancee', whom he planned on marrying after the show, left him. There's all kinds of stories about Bobby out there like him throwing chips at other players and tearing up cards at the table.

Fishman vs. Hellmuth.

Also worth noting that they're playing Jose Rjio poker, where it's pot-limit pre-flop, and no-limit after the flop, so he can't jam all in. If he could jam, it's an easy move to pick up a few grand, because everyone would know exactly what he has.

I believe he had also played another premium hand to the flop after the hand vs. Hellmuth (and before the aces) and was totally lost as to what to do, which likely informed his decision.

This was by far the best poker show on TV, for all these extra dynamics. Sad it's not on anymore.

The guy chased broadway to the river against Hellmuth's two-pair and got there.

Well, that sounds worse than it was, imo. He also flopped the the 2nd nut flush draw in addition to his gutter straight draw....

Well, that sounds worse than it was, imo. He also flopped the the 2nd nut flush draw in addition to his gutter straight draw....

I had totally forgotten about him flopping 2nd nut flush draw until this morning when I actually watched the clip.

He's a math teacher at ASU too! Some of my friends knew him. Unfortunately that douche Bobby "The Bus" Ferdinand, a well-known and very disliked Foxwoods regular, ended up getting it in with AA vs. KK in the last few hands to take the profit lead and the NAPT passport. If you dig in on him a little you can find out that he went broke quickly and his fiancee', whom he planned on marrying after the show, left him. There's all kinds of stories about Bobby out there like him throwing chips at other players and tearing up cards at the table.

I know some folks who know Bobby. His local reputation is that he is in fact a douche. Fishman seemed like a super nice guy. I was rooting for him.

I didnt know Bobby Ferdinand when I watched the show the first time, but just from looking I really hoped that it was Fishman who is gonna win the 50k package.
If Peter Jetten could have gotten away from his KK against Bobby's AA (which imo, if there is ever a time to get away from KK preflop, THAT was it), Fishman would have won the napt passport....

Fishman vs. Hellmuth.

Also worth noting that they're playing Jose Rjio poker, where it's pot-limit pre-flop, and no-limit after the flop, so he can't jam all in. If he could jam, it's an easy move to pick up a few grand, because everyone would know exactly what he has.

I believe he had also played another premium hand to the flop after the hand vs. Hellmuth (and before the aces) and was totally lost as to what to do, which likely informed his decision.

This was by far the best poker show on TV, for all these extra dynamics. Sad it's not on anymore.

The show was not bad and had some classic moments. But any game with a structure that makes it correct to fold AA preflop can't be the best game on tv.
For me its High Stakes Poker partly due to the action and partly to Gabe Kaplan's great analysis. He would say what was really going on in a hand and didn't hold back. He was the best poker commentator by far. The show wasn't the same in the last season when he left.

Its not the worst structure though.
Remember Poker SuperStars III and the screwed up points-based elimination system.
It led to this

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom