Gorilla Gaming just upped their prices a lot and I'm steamed! (1 Viewer)

Some could be taking advantage of the situation as well.... Never know... Not everyone is capable of building there own table. Why I offer to do them for free if I get to play on it..

Spend the $1000 on tools, materials and some of your time. I bet you can get it done for less than $1000 too. In the amount of time you've spent venting about $125 you could have done just about anything to move you forward to your goal, rather than whine.

Channel that frustration into learning how to make a table, how to use a jigsaw, router etc. The plans are completely out there, for free, needing only basic tools. These are not complicated things to make, especially a basic version. Give yourself the DIY discount or upgrade some finishes you weren't going to be able to otherwise.

If consumer prices are rising, it's almost with 100% certainty that it's due to raw material or labor costs rising. Any business is NOT better than no business if that business is no longer profitable.

I don't know the numbers, but I'd be hard-pressed to think they were selling tables a loss until the price hike.

By that logic, I would like to buy Microsoft, Apple and Amazon stock today at their initial price offerings. Just bad timing on my part, right? It's only fair.

LOL, bit different situation there but I get your point.

Really, how bad are things when you are complaining about not being able to buy a poker table, or not having one dropped in your lap? Same everywhere, “covid devastated my life” yet everyone’s out buying cars, poker tabes, poker chips, Starbucks, etc...

Note I haven't bought one yet. ;)

But that said, yes, I don't understand it at all - home market, cars, going nuts! Yet 20% unemployment, worst GDP since the Great Depression...WTF is going on!?

Last edited:
Some could be taking advantage of the situation as well.... Never know... Not everyone is capable of building there own table. Why I offer to do them for free if I get to play on it..

That's very noble and generous of you. Wish you lived out this way, I'd def. take you up on that offer and would certainly compensate you for your time!

And I do agree...part of the struggle with this whole thing is there are not a lot of options out there. Market opportunity here? Go look at Facebook Marketplace...it's dry of high-quality 10+ seaters. BBO doesn't offer non-racetrack, non-cup holder tables.

That's very noble and generous of you. Wish you lived out this way, I'd def. take you up on that offer and would certainly compensate you for your time!

And I do agree...part of the struggle with this whole thing is there are not a lot of options out there. Market opportunity here? Go look at Facebook Marketplace...it's dry of high-quality 10+ seaters. BBO doesn't offer non-racetrack, non-cup holder tables.
Here is one I built for just the material cost....Nothing fancy but gets er done..
1740199155_RebelworkWoodworking.10mantable(4).JPG-2.jpg

If your going to try it yourself it just requires patience. Don't get in a hurry and definetly don't give up. It's hard on your fingers and knuckles. I have pnuematic so just turn up the radio get Ina groove and start stapling away. Keep an eye on the pull...

If you already have a compressor a Senco wire staple isn't that expensive on eBay...

As many know you can get most material for Joanns. I bought Ostrich for a western poker table. I may not have been sober....

Attachments

• 20200818_103252.jpg
    20200818_103252.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 101
Home table 45" x 96" (10+ people) for less than 1K ($929) or the 45" x 85" for ($849)
If you go with the very nice gorilla legs its +175. Doesn't seem unreasonable for this level of quality.

2020-08-18.png

These prices seem to be in line with our beloved T Chan who also announced a price increase on his basic tables. Also T Chan charges +$200 for the gorilla legs as well. Personally If I were in the market for a table I would go with T Chan based on what I know about his workmanship and the fact that he seems like a cool guy/fellow chipper. If $875 is OK but $1000 is not you should probably look into some other option. Maybe a much less expensive table from amazon or something. In my opinion your going to spend around $1000+ for a hand made high quality poker table. Good luck!

Last edited:
Not at all. If you want people to take you seriously about being a long-term host, then invest in your table. It's the first thing they see. As the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Yep, came for the chips, but ending up with a table instead. Lol for the cost of the table, I could have had more than a few chip sets I drool over. Oh well, the chips will forever be here, a barrel, or rack at a time.

As an aside @legonick it definitely played a role at our household acknowledging that we were fortunate enough in these times to go ahead with such a luxury purchase, which was a big reason why we did. It was just made really easy that a fellow Canuck in @T_Chan happened to be so revered around here. Guess niceties aside, for nothing else be happy you can spend the money, and do it as your way of contributing to society in this troubling time. There will surely be a more worthy gripe in price at some point in your life to battle over; don't think this is it.

Last edited:
Playing field?

Looks cool, but those bumps!

I'm south of you in MA - I decided to build my own instead of buying from Gorilla and saved some $$.
I built an 8 seater but you could easily build a 10 seater. My build thread has lots of the steps outlined with photos:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ld-legs-upholstery-question.42999/post-807514

You can very definitely build for well less than $1000 ...

Wow that came out nice! Maybe I'll work my own table but have a professional upholstery guy do the rail.

Yep, came for the chips, but ending up with a table instead. Lol for the cost of the table, I could have had more than a few chip sets I drool over. Oh well, the chips will forever be here, a barrel, or rack at a time.

Should we start a petition to change the name from PCF to PTF? LOL. I agree, the table >>> chips on impact to your game. But chips are where you can play for years, building sexy sets, etc.

Surplus money did twothings... put money in homeowners hands and with the time off many took advantage of home improvements.

Home Depot buys one year in advance. With the increased sales from spring, Home depot couldn't keep up with lumber demands. Leaving shelves empty...

I made three trips just to get one 6x6 to finish my back deck which I didn't have stairs on for two years cause I got lazy...

Attachments

• 20200601_075301.jpg
    20200601_075301.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 104
Surplus money did twothings... put money in homeowners hands and with the time off many took advantage of home improvements.

Home Depot buys one year in advance. With the increased sales from spring, Home depot couldn't keep up with lumber demands. Leaving shelves empty...

Yeah plus with the state of the housing market being so bonkers, I'm sure builders are battling for lumber to do more builds as well.

Really, how bad are things when you are complaining about not being able to buy a poker table, or not having one dropped in your lap? Same everywhere, “covid devastated my life” yet everyone’s out buying cars, poker tabes, poker chips, Starbucks, etc...

Wait.....you guys still buy Starbucks ? :x

Yeah plus with the state of the housing market being so bonkers, I'm sure builders are battling for lumber to do more builds as well.

It’s amazing that they are doing so well in this time of incredible despair and hardship. This is probably a familiar refrain over dinner

“Things are so tough I’m going to have to remodel the kitchen and add a new man cave to my house to hold my new tv, poker chips, poker table, car, cigars, bourbon, and a new mask”. “Goddam you covid” {shakes fist at sky}

The rail is not bad just take your time and don’t be afraid to pull a bunch of staples and re-fix along the way for a smooth surface

#2. The COVID-19 aspect. Selfish but it feels like companies should take a hit more than customers. Who do I get to layoff to keep profits coming in? Everyone is getting wrecked by COVID-19, but where's my PPP bailout? Stimulus check: $1,200. Average PPP loan: $100,000, maximum: $10,000,000.

PPP loans are to keep businesses afloat and keep people on the payroll. So they don't just layoff a ton of people. Business owners aren't just lining their pockets with these loans. Certain very large businesses received alot of bad press for applying for funds and returned the money.

And these are LOANS. They have to be paid back. There are conditions for loan forgiveness.

I guess there's a separate debate on bailouts for people vs businesses...

#3 Business aspect...isn't any business better than no business? With the amount of people pay raise frozen, furloughed, hours cut, or plain laid off, to raise prices now almost feels greedy. Shouldn't prices be lowered to drive business in instead of away? Lower prices/COVID-19 discount: drive more sales! Raise prices: additional incentive to go elsewhere/build yourself/wait to buy.

All in all, raising the issue of the real hardships people are facing (layoffs, wage reductions, etc) to try to strengthen your argument of why you want a cheaper price on a poker table has a bit of a stench to it.

Best solution is to build your own. Building your own table is not actually that difficult. It just takes time and preparation. There are alot of DIY threads on this site.

Looks cool, but those bumps!

Wow that came out nice! Maybe I'll work my own table but have a professional upholstery guy do the rail.

Should we start a petition to change the name from PCF to PTF? LOL. I agree, the table >>> chips on impact to your game. But chips are where you can play for years, building sexy sets, etc.

It's for the rail.... I've known a lot of girls with bumps and it never stopped me from playing☺

All in all, raising the issue of the real hardships people are facing (layoffs, wage reductions, etc) to try to strengthen your argument of why you want a cheaper price on a poker table has a bit of a stench to it.

I mean, touche. I'm very lucky because I still have a job, but I am certainly personally impacted - I'm on a pay raise freeze, the company has committed to no bonus this year, and my ESPP contributions are almost certainly going to tank (bought in for around $35, stock price is currently ~$9). And I have a job right now...doesn't mean I will in the future. My company is tied closely to the airlines who are being hit very hard by COVID-19.

Best solution is to build your own. Building your own table is not actually that difficult. It just takes time and preparation. There are a lot of DIY threads on this site.

I agree with you, just...ugh. I wish I enjoyed that handy stuff more...maybe it's an acquired taste? :)

I'm gonna second (third? fourth?) building your own table if you are even remotely handy. Tons of easy to follow plans out there online, and upholstering the rail is actually not that bad. You can get away with some pretty budget materials in some spots to save some cash. When I was doing the rail, all of the local foam stores were super pricey for something that would work. Went to a carpet liquidation place and bought a bunch of scrap memory foam carpet padding for super cheap, which worked extremely well and makes for very comfortable elbows!

You mentioning "deal breaker" helped me crystallize the reasons I'm steamed. Most are pretty selfish, LOL.

In no particular order....

#1. Bad luck...I've been planning the purchase for a long time, literally had it on my todo list with some more important financial stuff in front of it...finally get to it and there's a significant price hike! Argh.
#2 Related to #1, but it breaks a price wall. Over $1000 for the same table I had spec.ed out now, yikes! Under $1000: "Oh that's not so bad." Over $1000: "Yikes, in these times of COVID-19, you need to be more responsible with your money!" LOL.
#2. The COVID-19 aspect. Selfish but it feels like companies should take a hit more than customers. Who do I get to layoff to keep profits coming in? Everyone is getting wrecked by COVID-19, but where's my PPP bailout? Stimulus check: $1,200. Average PPP loan: $100,000, maximum: $10,000,000.
#3 Business aspect...isn't any business better than no business? With the amount of people pay raise frozen, furloughed, hours cut, or plain laid off, to raise prices now almost feels greedy. Shouldn't prices be lowered to drive business in instead of away? Lower prices/COVID-19 discount: drive more sales! Raise prices: additional incentive to go elsewhere/build yourself/wait to buy.
#4 Lack of empathy/I'm a snowflake. Can't they slip me the old price as it's pretty much my bad luck on the timing, and they know it? It's an opportunity to make me a lifetime supporter of the company! I'm a sale dangling in the wind, LOL. And the same as "is $125 really a dealbreaker for me?" Should it really be a dealbreaker for them, on a single sale?

I hope this doesn't come off as too crybaby, LOL. If nothing else it's a glimpse inside some consumer minds - or at least 1! :)
I understand how you feel, it IS really unfortunate that this has happened and that your plans need to change, especially at no fault of your own.
I didn't mean anything by my post except that you might be able to save a LOT of money by DIY. I took this path and it is a lot of fun.

I've been tossing it around because I have a buddy who would help...I'm not handy, and I don't have the tools or the room. Maybe this will push me over the edge, oy!

Yeah I think that's what I was seeing, but I don't have numbers from before in my notes. Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger a while ago. What table did you get BTW? Happy with it? Selling it any time soon? LOL.

Do they have a presence here? I'd love to get in touch with someone who could help out in this situation!

Yeah...ouch.
they only went up from $189 to $199?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom