Gorilla Gaming just upped their prices a lot and I'm steamed! (1 Viewer)

legonick

Straight
Reaction score
Gorilla Gaming just upped their prices a lot and I'm steamed!

I was just about the to pull the trigger on a table and they go and up the prices! What!?

I know of a lot of people who are out of work. I'm personally "pay raise frozen".

I understand material costs going up...wood shortage and all...but man it's a bad time to up your prices on a luxury good that's basically frozen thanks to COVID-19.

I also contacted them and explained my position, that it was very bad timing, and could they do anything about it, and got a big ol' bag of "nope, tough cookies...COVID-19 is hitting us too". I get it, but aghhh!

Grumble, grumble. Thanks for hearing my rant.

Any good suggestions on other tables?

Most vendors here give advanced notice on price increases so members get the chance to get their orders in before the increase. But yeah, prices go up, I'm sure their business is down. It never hurts to ask but sometimes people think companies can eat costs infinitely but they have to eat too.

Probably you don’t want to hear this, but I would 100% borrow the needed tools (really just a router or even a skill saw, as far as I can tell) and build my own.

I've been tossing it around because I have a buddy who would help...I'm not handy, and I don't have the tools or the room. Maybe this will push me over the edge, oy!

This appears to be accurate, priced out the table I recently ordered and its about $125 more now.

Yeah I think that's what I was seeing, but I don't have numbers from before in my notes. Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger a while ago. What table did you get BTW? Happy with it? Selling it any time soon? LOL.

Most vendors here give advanced notice on price increases so members get the chance to get their orders in before the increase. But yeah, prices go up, I'm sure their business is down. It never hurts to ask but sometimes people think companies can eat costs infinitely but they have to eat too.

Do they have a presence here? I'd love to get in touch with someone who could help out in this situation!

Damn... they boosted their table legs to $200 for a pair.

Eek.

Yeah...ouch.

@legonick I got the 84” home table with jumbo cup holders. Went standard black vinyl and green suited felt, ordered about a month ago it should hopefully arrive this week. I’ll post a review when it arrives :)

Dude that's almost exactly what I was gonna pull the trigger on, but the 96" with no cup holders. Reeeee!

BBO doesn't make basic tables...they all have cupholders or racetracks. @T_Chan is doing too well and went prima donna and no longer makes basic tables either. ;) Sorry @T_Chan, had to poke some fun at your great success. :)
He doesn’t make basic tables? I knew he wasn’t stocking any, but I thought he’d still make a simple table. Of course, I could be wrong.

During this troubling time would it not be better to buy from a local or someone on here who is hit with a work slowdown...

That's a great idea...I am working with a nearby handy man, but he increased his prices from $500 to $1000+, so not sure he actually wants the business. We are negotiating a price now, we'll see where it ends up.

As far as people from PCF - what's the proper way to post a "wanted ad" for that, as a service or someone looking to offload a table? The Classified section?

Last edited:
He doesn’t make basic tables? I knew he wasn’t stocking any, but I thought he’d still make a simple table. Of course, I could be wrong.

He used to sell "basic tables" but ended that "line" to focus on high-end tables. I'll reach out to him regarding a custom-built basic table.

I know the folks at Gorilla Gaming a little bit - they also run the Eastern Poker Tour. I always thought their tables were priced fairly and if you walk through a Home Depot, particularly up there in the Northeast, there isn’t a lot of plywood and other related supplies in stock.

Everyone down here is hitting up the lumber shops for home repairs/remodel/add-ons. I’d be very surprised if they weren’t just passing along a cost increase.

He used to sell "basic tables" but ended that "line" to focus on high-end tables. I'll reach out to him regarding a custom-built basic table.

I'm pretty sure he will still make them. He just doesn't make them for stock. He's busy enough with custom orders (and good for him!).

I know the folks at Gorilla Gaming a little bit - they also run the Eastern Poker Tour. I always thought their tables were priced fairly and if you walk through a Home Depot, particularly up there in the Northeast, there isn’t a lot of plywood and other related supplies in stock.

Everyone down here is hitting up the lumber shops for home repairs/remodel/add-ons. I’d be very surprised if they weren’t just passing along a cost increase.

I've met Glenn McRory who founded all that, he's good people

As someone else said, check Craigslist or Nextdoor, probably someone handy in your area who could make a basic one

Yeah I still make basic style tables, but no longer at the promotional "Basic Table" prices. I'll happily build a basic table for anyone, but at the price point they start at, you'd find a better deal with another more budget friendly company like Gorilla or BBO. I'm not into mass producing products or reselling imported poker tables, just not my thing.

The basic tables might come back at the promo prices eventually, if I ever clear out my massive backlog of orders.

I built my own with a jigsaw, pneumatic stapler and borrowed a router to round some edges under rail foam. It's pretty straightforward and you can save some $$$

I can't think of any other poker related purchase where the axiom of 'you get what you pay for' rings more true than a poker table.

If I was in the market for a table, I'd buy one from @T_Chan or other talented folks on this forum (like @Irish who has an impressive portfolio of previous builds). Whomever made sense geographically.

I'd be happier with a 'basic' table from them vs a table from a mass producer. You know they're not cutting corners with materials.

Mass produced tables are cheaper because they're usually made from inexpensive materials. Usually MDF and other undesirable materials.

For me, nothing enhances a poker game more than a really nice table. I know... Sacrilege on a poker chip forum...:bag:

For me, nothing enhances a poker game more than a really nice table. I know... Sacrilege on a poker chip forum...:bag:

Not at all. If you want people to take you seriously about being a long-term host, then invest in your table. It's the first thing they see. As the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

As a self employed person with a small business and a couple employees, people routinely inquire these days about the “Covid discount” now or ask for special consideration “because of the hard times”. I am not going to hate on anyone for asking, and obviously people are struggling, but just because I or anyone else operate a for-profit business doesn’t mean we aren’t struggling as well. People need to understand and appreciate that this has affected almost all of us. I just operate a simple service business, but I know many industries are impacted by supply chain disruptions or international import disruptions or staffing disruptions etc.

If you aren’t being serviced to your desire somewhere but find it elsewhere then go for it. But also understand businesses and business owners have their own struggles and circumstances as well and may not be acting out of greed but perhaps need or desire to keep their employees on staff and paid etc. Buy from wherever you feel is best for you, but I doubt Gorilla is profiteering on poker tables.

Last edited:
BBO doesn't make basic tables...they all have cupholders or racetracks. @T_Chan is doing too well and went prima donna and no longer makes basic tables either. ;) Sorry @T_Chan, had to poke some fun at your great success. :)

giphy.gif

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

If $125 is a deal breaker, you should definitely look into putting a few days aside and making your own... Saves more than $125!

You mentioning "deal breaker" helped me crystallize the reasons I'm steamed. Most are pretty selfish, LOL.

In no particular order....

#1. Bad luck...I've been planning the purchase for a long time, literally had it on my todo list with some more important financial stuff in front of it...finally get to it and there's a significant price hike! Argh.
#2 Related to #1, but it breaks a price wall. Over $1000 for the same table I had spec.ed out now, yikes! Under $1000: "Oh that's not so bad." Over $1000: "Yikes, in these times of COVID-19, you need to be more responsible with your money!" LOL.
#2. The COVID-19 aspect. Selfish but it feels like companies should take a hit more than customers. Who do I get to layoff to keep profits coming in? Everyone is getting wrecked by COVID-19, but where's my PPP bailout? Stimulus check: $1,200. Average PPP loan: $100,000, maximum: $10,000,000.
#3 Business aspect...isn't any business better than no business? With the amount of people pay raise frozen, furloughed, hours cut, or plain laid off, to raise prices now almost feels greedy. Shouldn't prices be lowered to drive business in instead of away? Lower prices/COVID-19 discount: drive more sales! Raise prices: additional incentive to go elsewhere/build yourself/wait to buy.
#4 Lack of empathy/I'm a snowflake. Can't they slip me the old price as it's pretty much my bad luck on the timing, and they know it? It's an opportunity to make me a lifetime supporter of the company! I'm a sale dangling in the wind, LOL. And the same as "is $125 really a dealbreaker for me?" Should it really be a dealbreaker for them, on a single sale?

I hope this doesn't come off as too crybaby, LOL. If nothing else it's a glimpse inside some consumer minds - or at least 1! :)

As a small business owner, it sounds incredibly self-centered and short-sighted. Even in these difficult times, I'd prefer to just avoid customers like you -- not worth the headache.

You mentioning "deal breaker" helped me crystallize the reasons I'm steamed. Most are pretty selfish, LOL.
Agree

#2. Selfish but it feels like companies should take a hit more than customers.
We need companies to produce goods and services as much as we need customers to buy them.

#3 Business aspect...isn't any business better than no business? With the amount of people pay raise frozen, furloughed, hours cut, or plain laid off, to raise prices now almost feels greedy. Shouldn't prices be lowered to drive business in instead of away? Lower prices/COVID-19 discount: drive more sales! Raise prices: additional incentive to go elsewhere/build yourself/wait to buy.
If consumer prices are rising, it's almost with 100% certainty that it's due to raw material or labor costs rising. Any business is NOT better than no business if that business is no longer profitable.

#4 Lack of empathy/I'm a snowflake. Can't they slip me the old price as it's pretty much my bad luck on the timing, and they know it? It's an opportunity to make me a lifetime supporter of the company! I'm a sale dangling in the wind, LOL. And the same as "is $125 really a dealbreaker for me?" Should it really be a dealbreaker for them, on a single sale?
By that logic, I would like to buy Microsoft, Apple and Amazon stock today at their initial price offerings. Just bad timing on my part, right? It's only fair.

I hope this doesn't come off as too crybaby, LOL.
Sorry, but it does come off like that.

Really, how bad are things when you are complaining about not being able to buy a poker table, or not having one dropped in your lap? Same everywhere, “covid devastated my life” yet everyone’s out buying cars, poker tabes, poker chips, Starbucks, etc...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom