Golfers help me out (1 Viewer)

shorticus

4 of a Kind
Tourney Director
Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy texted me yesterday about a way to do live scoring on the golf course. He has a group of about 14 people who play regularly and of course, they gamble (as most of us golfers do) He asked me to come up with a way on a mobile platform to have live scorecards. He wanted to get a domain and build a website at first, and I talked him out of it (probably something I'd have to be involved in). I got him down to building a google doc that could track scoring. I suggested he have one person per group have edit permissions to update the scores of all players in their group. I ultimately built the sheet for him with protected calculated cells and limited permissions for the time being. It's actually pretty cool. All non-scorers will have view only permissions so that if they care to check the scores, they can see where they stand in the tourney while playing (assuming their battery on their device lasts). And members of the group who are unable to attend can still track the progress from their mobile phones from anywhere they want.

Just curious as to if anyone has ever received a request like this, or if you have any other ideas that could accommodate such a request.

For the golf purists out there. Before creating this, yes, I considered the potential hindering of the pace of play, but I think this is a creative way to keep track of scores when playing in multiple groups, and if used in lieu of an actual scorecard should only minimally slow the pace of play if at all.

Live scoring on google docs is the way to go.

I did this with a curling bonspiel and we do a similar thing with a poker tournament that uses 8 different sngs and 4 different rounds - Omaha/stud, Limit, NL and headsup. The scoring is live so as people get knocked out, someone enters their position and the standings are kept up to date.

Use the app called "The Grint." You can set up events and leaderboards and it'll push notifications and whatnot.

Also, you don't even need to set up leaderboards and events in The Grint. As long as you're friends on the app you can easily see live scoring from everyone keeping their own scores. And it has GPS and Apple Watch integration, yadda yadda. It's easy and feature filled.

Yes. It’ll track handicaps and automatically apply them as you want for whatever game you choose

081B3577-9696-4533-BD0F-5DB8F894018A.png

I had to look it up, ha. Click "Play" in the top right, then "Edit Round Setup/Players," fiddle with stuff in there if you like, then click "Next," and at the bottom there's "Games" which has everything.

I had to look it up, ha. Click "Play" in the top right, then "Edit Round Setup/Players," fiddle with stuff in there if you like, then click "Next," and at the bottom there's "Games" which has everything.
got it! thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom