Golf AND Poker tourney. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
A few of my friends who are avid golfers and poker players were throwing around an idea of day long golf/poker tourney.
18 holes in the afternoon followed by a cookout followed by a poker tourney after dinner.

The logistics of planning it and doing it are easy. The hard part is trying to find a way to combine the two into one.
Initial thoughts are to have your golf score/finish correlate to the number of starting chips. We are all in agreement that we need to do this.

Obviously, we have to have an equitable system due to varying skill on the links. We have a few who are 2-4 handicap and a few more who have trouble breaking a hundred and the rest in between. We all know each other so no one is really going to be able to sand bag that much.

One idea was to reward net pars, birdies and eagles.

Another was to simply go by net stroke finish and 1st gets most, 2nd gets next most extra chips, etc.

A third idea was to set a target of 100 strokes. Each shot under net 100 gets you extra chips.

Anyone ever done anything similar? Ideas, thoughts or suggestions.

Cool idea!

Will everyone playing have a USGA handicap? If so then extra chips for every shot under your handicap, fewer chips for over your handicap.

If not, then maybe you can guestimate what they should be. ie... give everyone a (different) target score that they should be shooting for. Then reward/penalize below/above their target.

Or maybe you could create 'equatable foursomes'. ie.. a couple good golfers + a couple hackers. Total score for the foursome is then used to reward/penalize in comparison to the other groups.

How many folks you have in the group? I ran a golf league for a number of years and we did creative formats once a quarter and I can share some of the things we did that might work.

Cool idea!

Will everyone playing have a USGA handicap? If so then extra chips for every shot under your handicap, fewer chips for over your handicap.

If not, then maybe you can guestimate what they should be. ie... give everyone a (different) target score that they should be shooting for. Then reward/penalize below/above their target.

Or maybe you could create 'equatable foursomes'. ie.. a couple good golfers + a couple hackers. Total score for the foursome is then used to reward/penalize in comparison to the other groups.

Doubtful everyone will have an official handicap. I like the team idea.

How many folks you have in the group? I ran a golf league for a number of years and we did creative formats once a quarter and I can share some of the things we did that might work.

Shooting for 16 for this event. 4 foursomes and 2 tables of 8.

Have you considered a modified stableford scoring round?
Triple Bogey - (-1) *optional
Double Bogey - 0
Bogey - 1
Par - 2pts
Birdie - 3 points
Eagle - 4 points
Double Eagle - 5 points

Then you multiply total points by 1000 for starting stacks. Would be very interesting.

*Edit* Triple Bogey is -1

So if its primarily social, I'd suggest a team event. Some things you can do that might be a good fit...

Ryder Cup - 2 man best ball vs 2 man best ball teams, have captains and a draft or equitably spread out the skills of the teams - winning team's players all get a starting chip bonus

Scotch foursomes with a shamble - Teams of 4, pick best drive to keep things moving, everyone plays on ball from there. first 6 holes, 1 score counts - second 6 holes, 2 best scores counts, next 5 holes, best 3 scores count, last hole all 4 scores count. No strokes, just equitable teams. Gets really intense as you go down the stretch. And everyone matters. Same thing for a chip bonus.

You don't want to put yourself in a position of calculating tons of places/specific stacks etc - it'll take a ton of time - and if you're transitioning from golf to poker to dinner, you'll be busy enough for sure already.

Let me know if you have any questions on the above.

The Callaway scoring system can help give everyone a one day handicap and bring the final scores closer together. We play a yearly golf game In which there are all sorts of skill levels. We use that system to make everyone’s final score closer together, and for the most part it aligns with the actual stroke scores.

I agree with 2 man team play. Easily could use the stableford system shorticus mentions above for points, but as teams. This way two are tied together and you just cut your math on starting stacks in half because they will be the same.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom