Going live? (1 Viewer)

Ynotony

Waiting List
Reaction score
So after this social distancing stuff is over with I was looking to host a home 6 handed cash game with some of my friends every few months. I would deal for the group with no rack or anything like that. I was thinking about going live on fb or YouTube so our other friends in our group could watch. They wouldn’t have access to hole cards but just a birds eye view of the action. Question is there shouldn’t be anything illegal about that Right? Or could that get me in trouble?

I toyed with this idea but I would stay away from streaming cash games if you have a lot of money on your table as it could be a security risk to your home. I wouldn't see anything wrong with tournaments and stuff.

I am not a lawyer but you should be fine livestreaming as long as you aren't taking a rake. Of course, you have to be careful of player talk if it becomes vular, as you might be responsible for what players say on your channel.

Yea no rake at all. I just like to host/deal. See the action up close. Seem like a touchy situation. Happy I asked.

Step 1 is to ensure that home poker games are legal in your jurisdiction - putting evidence of criminal activity on a live stream doesn't sound intelligent
As far as I can tell reading up online as long as I’m not taking a rake it fall under social gambling laws. I just wasn’t sure if posting it would be a big deal. This wouldn’t be nightly. Once every few months.

As far as I can tell reading up online as long as I’m not taking a rake it fall under social gambling laws. I just wasn’t sure if posting it would be a big deal. This wouldn’t be nightly. Once every few months.

That's generally true, but some states have very different opinions on what is and isn't social gambling. You should research your location and also take the temperature on how law enforcement feels.

Minnesota is pretty safe and home games are generally good under our social gambling definition. I also have not heard of cops raiding games. YMMV in your locale, so do this bit of homework specific to your jurisdiction.

Every state has its own laws. And then on top of that your city or county may have additional laws. This is one of those things where you don't want to be "probably fine"... you want to be certain.

In addition, keep in mind you are broadcasting an event where people will presume you have notable amounts of cash. Not necessarily a good thing if you are averse to being robbed.

When I modded a site that didn't allow questions of legality, the response was always, "Call your local PD and ask for guidance."

Also, I know FB kicks people off live streaming for playing copyrighted music. Might wanna check TOS for whoever you use to stream.

Would also recommend consent from all players (in advance) and make sure there is nothing descriptive to give away location. Those were both good pieces of advice.

Also, logistically, where are you thinking of mounting the camera? I would think over head would give the best action shots of the game... If any of your players are female and have a tendency for wearing plunging necklines, please provide the link...

When I modded a site that didn't allow questions of legality, the response was always, "Call your local PD and ask for guidance."

Also, I know FB kicks people off live streaming for playing copyrighted music. Might wanna check TOS for whoever you use to stream.

Would also recommend consent from all players (in advance) and make sure there is nothing descriptive to give away location. Those were both good pieces of advice.

Also, logistically, where are you thinking of mounting the camera? I would think over head would give the best action shots of the game... If any of your players are female and have a tendency for wearing plunging necklines, please provide the link...
Yea I was thinking of an over head shot of the table so people could see the action. Thx for the advice

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom