Go-to rack for 39mm chips (1 Viewer)

linux

Pair
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here, just joined and and have ordered some sample chips of various types, but I think I'll stick to the standard 39mm size. I've probably already acquired 50 or 60 chips with more on the way and I'll need a few racks at some point

I've read several threads in this section and I guess I'd like some suggestions on say, the top two racks to consider. I've read about paulsons (are they unavailable like the chips?), chipco racks, matsui and a few others. I'd like to get off on the right foot and will likely stay with 39mm clay via cpc or paulsons, perhaps some ceramic's.

So what do you guys usually order?

Matsui/Apache are covered racks that I consider to be the cream of the crop. They're flexibility in being able to fit both 39 mm and 43 mm while still being able to be placed into a birdcage is an unmatched feature. Matsui racks are very close to being unobtainable unless you get in on a group buy. However, the vendor Apache here has a clone version of them for sale which actually has some improvements.

For a standard, more traditional, non-covered rack, I would recommend Chipco. They seem to fit most chips very snugly, including Paulsons.

https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product-category/poker-chip-racks/

Matsui/Apache are covered racks that I consider to be the cream of the crop. They're flexibility in being able to fit both 39 mm and 43 mm while still being able to be placed into a birdcage is an unmatched feature. Matsui racks are very close to being unobtainable unless you get in on a group buy. However, the vendor Apache here has a clone version of them for sale which actually has some improvements.

For a standard, more traditional, non-covered rack, I would recommend Chipco. They seem to fit most chips very snugly, including Paulsons.

https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product-category/poker-chip-racks/
Thanks. I'll take a look. After I started this thread I received a 'Yuanhe' rack I ordered on Amazon. I was surprised to see that the chips did not drop to the bottom of the rack barrels. Plus I assumed they would be stack-able but they are not. So I'm returning them.

Are the others you mentioned stack-able with some sort of capture so they don't just slide off of one another?

Thanks. I'll take a look. After I started this thread I received a 'Yuanhe' rack I ordered on Amazon. I was surprised to see that the chips did not drop to the bottom of the rack barrels. Plus I assumed they would be stack-able but they are not. So I'm returning them.

Are the others you mentioned stack-able with some sort of capture so they don't just slide off of one another?
Hmmm ... I have some of the Yuanhe birdcages from Amazon, and they actually work really well for storing chips in the Matsui/Apache racks. The racks that they ship with are basically throw away for me, but I would assume they are the same as the ones that you purchased directly.

I just checked and my chips do touch the bottom of the barrels in the racks that I received in the Yuanhe cages. Which chips do you have? They're 39mm, right?

The Apache / Matsui racks have little dimples where racks that are stacked on top of them will snap into place.

All other normal racks have a recess underneath where the top of the chips will fit into and thus preventing the rack from sliding off.

Hmmm ... I have some of the Yuanhe birdcages from Amazon, and they actually work really well for storing chips in the Matsui/Apache racks. The racks that they ship with are basically throw away for me, but I would assume they are the same as the ones that you purchased directly.

I just checked and my chips do touch the bottom of the barrels in the racks that I received in the Yuanhe cages. Which chips do you have? They're 39mm, right?

The Apache / Matsui racks have little dimples where racks that are stacked on top of them will snap into place.

All other normal racks have a recess underneath where the top of the chips will fit into and thus preventing the rack from sliding off.
I just started this and have 4 kinds of samples, one ceramic, two so-called china clay and the monaco's which I think is a plastic composite with a metal disc inside? Anyway, since you asked I pulled out my digital micrometer and was surprised that only the ceramic was 39mm, the other three were at or just under 40mm. So I looked at each one and the ceramic actually does fall to the bottom and the ones closer to 40mm do not. I would have expected the 40's to fit, but no. I was able to stack 20 of any of them in the tray, but just barely.

I went ahead and ordered some chipco racks from BRPro as mentioned above. In going back and looking at the order, it does say they're for ceramic chips but does not specify the diameter, so we'll see.

I just started this and have 4 kinds of samples, one ceramic, two so-called china clay and the monaco's which I think is a plastic composite with a metal disc inside? Anyway, since you asked I pulled out my digital micrometer and was surprised that only the ceramic was 39mm, the other three were at or just under 40mm. So I looked at each one and the ceramic actually does fall to the bottom and the ones closer to 40mm do not. I would have expected the 40's to fit, but no. I was able to stack 20 of any of them in the tray, but just barely.

I went ahead and ordered some chipco racks from BRPro as mentioned above. In going back and looking at the order, it does say they're for ceramic chips but does not specify the diameter, so we'll see.
Ceramics will definitely be more consistent between chips in terms of their size. But I'm surprised that your china clays are closer to 40 mm. I have a whole bunch of china clay samples, so I'm going to measure mine just for science.

In the meantime, I have both Yuanhe and Chipco racks as well as some C&J clay chips, which are closer to 40mm than 39mm. Would you like me to check and see if they touch the bottom of either rack?

Ceramics will definitely be more consistent between chips in terms of their size. But I'm surprised that your china clays are closer to 40 mm. I have a whole bunch of china clay samples, so I'm going to measure mine just for science.

In the meantime, I have both Yuanhe and Chipco racks as well as some C&J clay chips, which are closer to 40mm than 39mm. Would you like me to check and see if they touch the bottom of either rack?
Yeah, that'd be a good comparison... I don't have any paulson's yet (but working on it...). I assume they would be 39mm.

Yeah, that'd be a good comparison... I don't have any paulson's yet (but working on it...). I assume they would be 39mm.
Compressed clay will always have more variance than plastic/ceramic, yes but Paulsons are closer to 39mm. C&J are kind of like the grandfather of Paulsons, as the top hat and cane mold originated with Christy & Jones first. So they are also compressed clay, but to my shock and surprise when I first got my hands on them, were closer to 40 mm.

I go take some pictures and post back here... You know ... For science ... :D

The first chips here are Matsui, which are high quality, consistent plastic. You can see that they don't fit in either the Yuanhe rack (1st) or the Chipco rack (2nd).

PXL_20221002_230429747.MP.jpg

Yuanhe
PXL_20221002_230517491.MP.jpg

Chipco
PXL_20221002_230543527.jpg

But the Chipco rack has much less of a gap. Next up I'll try a few different clays.

Mint C&J chips. The gap on the Yuanhe is still atrocious. But I was surprised to see that the Chipco's still don't fit.

PXL_20221002_230945250.jpg

Yuanhe
PXL_20221002_231017072.MP.jpg

Chipco
PXL_20221002_231034585.jpg

Interesting. I do recall seeing a (I think) 43mm rack on the BR Pro site.

Mint Paulson THC. Yuanhe doesn't really pass here either. There's a tiny bit of flex and I would not feel comfortable stacking these racks. Chipco passes!

PXL_20221002_231407620.jpg

Yuanhe
PXL_20221002_231434852.jpg

Chipco
PXL_20221002_231459988.jpg

I do notice that while most sites will say the weight, few seem to list the diameter unless it's an obvious oversize like 44mm.

I would tell you to find racks designed to fit your chips. And this thread seems obsessed with diameter, but I’m talking stack height. Paulsons for example stack 20 to 66.7mm. So if you buy 66.7mm racks, your chips will be racked snugly, and it saves you time counting stacks at the end of the night.

I would tell you to find racks designed to fit your chips. And this thread seems obsessed with diameter, but I’m talking stack height. Paulsons for example stack 20 to 66.7mm. So if you buy 66.7mm racks, your chips will be racked snugly, and it saves you time counting stacks at the end of the night.
Yes, this is why I recommend Chipco as they are bit tighter and fit Paulson (THC/RHC/House) like a dream. However, they do not fit other chips (like Matsuis) as well and you might only get 19 / row.

So, yeah, but what works for the chips you get. But the OP mentioned looking at Paulsons, hence I gravitated to Chipco.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom