Glue Speed cloth to foam? (1 Viewer)

DiamondBuilt

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I'm putting together a simple table. I made one almost 10 years ago and can't remember if I used the spray adhesive between the foam and the speed cloth. I can't seem to find the answer or any discussion on it. Thanks in advanced!

Just a light amount... a mist if you will. There is a video floating around where TChan demonstrates.

I didn't glue the cloth to the foam - once it's stuck there's no way to get out wrinkles etc. For a home build, I'd rather have the flexibility of being able to re-tighten while building than have it stuck, screw up and then have to rip it off and start again because I messed up. Tony is a pro, I'm not!

I didn't glue mine either. Thought it would be easier for me to replace/tighten if I didn't (or you know, fix my screw up if i screwed up).

Good point! I watched video and I can comfortably say I don't have skills like that dude. It also looks like he has a bunch of swag when putting the cloth on too, which I also lack. Sounds like I might be safer without the adhesive, haha.

I didnt use adhesive on my home build, just remove 6 screws and apply new speed cloth and back in business.

Attachments

• 20190310_160639.jpg
    20190310_160639.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 217
If you have a betting line a light haze of glue keeps the betting line perfectly straight while you staple the perimeter.

I have done both and the light haze method is far superior. It keeps the felt flat on the table. I used to stretch and staple but it always made unsightly waves in a few places.

If you need to re-felt, it will easily pull off without damaging the foam. Look here and here.

I used a light duty spray on my first build and it came out fine. I used a decent amount of spray too.

I followed Chanman's video and the results were pretty awesome. If you're fairly confident in your abilities, I suggest using the adhesive.

I recently changed the speedcloth on my table without using adhesive. It's nice and tight, and straight. I didn't need to change the foam.

If I can do that, anyone can.

On a somewhat related question, I have this 1/4 HD foam from YAT:

41DBCE75-B065-44CC-AF02-FCA9C41C4FE2.jpeg

Which side faces up, or does it matter ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom