Give us your thoughts on these chips (1 Viewer)

BagsOChips

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm interested in getting a nice beginner set and I'm considering a few different chips. I'm interested in potentially getting the Royals or the Bank chips. I've just posted a wanted ad for some samples in the UK as I've never held China Clays.

It's a toss-up between these or getting a set of ceramics as they're roughly the same price over here in the UK (I'd be looking to buy from https://pokershop.de/).

Also, if anyone has opinions on the Angry Mallard ceramics or the Aria Highroller Club ceramics I'd be interested in your views. I've handled the Lucky Dragons and quite like the feel of them and I'm presuming they'd both be similar.

Anyone got any opinions? I'm sure you do and I'd love to hear 'em.

Cheers.

Wait for the samples and make your decision then.
Quality wise china clays and ceramics play in the same league and it's a matter of preference.
China clays feel a bit more like actual clay chips but have a distinct plastic smell.
Ceramics don't smell but have a higher click sound when handled.
They wear differently. Ceramics losing color and getting white rings where the color has worn off. Older china clays are known to get brittle over the years. No such experiences with newer models like the majestics or royals.

In the end, it comes down to what samples you prefer.

Personally I'd safe up a bit more and get the real deal - compression clay like Paulson or CPC. The difference in quality is enormous and they "only" cost about 2-3x as much.
It's a once in a lifetime purchase that will still serve your grandkids if you get the highest quality. I don't see a real reason to get a middle of the road quality chip if you can just wait until you saved up a bit more.

Wait for the samples and make your decision then.
Quality wise china clays and ceramics play in the same league and it's a matter of preference.
China clays feel a bit more like actual clay chips but have a distinct plastic smell.
Ceramics don't smell but have a higher click sound when handled.
They wear differently. Ceramics losing color and getting white rings where the color has worn off. Older china clays are known to get brittle over the years. No such experiences with newer models like the majestics or royals.

In the end, it comes down to what samples you prefer.

Personally I'd safe up a bit more and get the real deal - compression clay like Paulson or CPC. The difference in quality is enormous and they "only" cost about 2-3x as much.
It's a once in a lifetime purchase that will still serve your grandkids if you get the highest quality. I don't see a real reason to get a middle of the road quality chip if you can just wait until you saved up a bit more.
Thanks for your advice.

The problem with getting Paulson or CPCs is they are already out of my price range and then, because I'm in the UK, it adds a hell of a lot to the price. Shipping on a rack costs around $100 from the US and then they're customs and duties on top which at least another 20%. I can't really justify that I'm afraid.

Thanks for your advice.

The problem with getting Paulson or CPCs is they are already out of my price range and then, because I'm in the UK, it adds a hell of a lot to the price. Shipping on a rack costs around $100 from the US and then they're customs and duties on top which at least another 20%. I can't really justify that I'm afraid.

Well you're not the first chipper from Europe facing this particular problem.
You can buy local from one of our UK chippers like @JP1984 @mattross1313 @jr8719 and many more or buy in the general EU area like from @Don Clay or @MarCobi who are known to be selling stuff from time to time.

Or you buy in the US and either buy a whole set in one go so you only have to pay shipping once (around $100 for ~600 chips)

Or you get someone in the us to collect the single racks you buy and send you a box when you finalized the set. There are chippers who are known to provide this service and there are also companies who offer commercial reshipping.

Well you're not the first chipper from Europe facing this particular problem.
You can buy local from one of our UK chippers like @JP1984 @mattross1313 @jr8719 and many more or buy in the general EU area like from @Don Clay or @MarCobi who are known to be selling stuff from time to time.

Or you buy in the US and either buy a whole set in one go so you only have to pay shipping once (around $100 for ~600 chips)

Or you get someone in the us to collect the single racks you buy and send you a box when you finalized the set. There are chippers who are known to provide this service and there are also companies who offer commercial reshipping.
Cheers for the tips. I will keep an eye on these sellers (Hello if you're reading).

I have just discovered the commercial reshippers. Guess I need to do a bit of more research into it. Not even sure how big the box for a set would be.

Hey dude! Welcome! Always nice to have another UK member here — where in the UK are you?

Probably best if you tell us a little bit more about the games you host, too? Tournament or cash — and, if the latter, what stakes you pay?

What sort of budget did you have in mind, too?

Hey dude! Welcome! Always nice to have another UK member here — where in the UK are you?

Probably best if you tell us a little bit more about the games you host, too? Tournament or cash — and, if the latter, what stakes you pay?

What sort of budget did you have in mind, too?
Hey, I'm up in the North East, near Newcastle.

My budget is around £300 (maybe more for shipping and customs etc). I'm looking for a cash set and we play super low stakes. We currently play 2p/5p and might go for 5p/10p but a lot of my group are new to the game so keeping it low for now. I'm looking to use $1 chips as 1p.

We usually have around 6 people playing but I reckon could host up to 10 with a 500 chip set of:
100 x 1s
175 x 5s
175 x 25s
25 x 100s
25 x 500s (or no 500s and 50 x100s).

Hey, I'm up in the North East, near Newcastle.

My budget is around £300 (maybe more for shipping and customs etc). I'm looking for a cash set and we play super low stakes. We currently play 2p/5p and might go for 5p/10p but a lot of my group are new to the game so keeping it low for now. I'm looking to use $1 chips as 1p.

We usually have around 6 people playing but I reckon could host up to 10 with a 500 chip set of:
100 x 1s
175 x 5s
175 x 25s
25 x 100s
25 x 500s (or no 500s and 50 x100s).
Like everyone says on here, wait and get samples before you rush in and buy a load of crappy chips you don’t want. Everyone on here has done this so don’t do what we all did :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

UK chip sales don’t come too often but they do appear now and again.

Your budget is on the low side (even for China clays) so ceramics might be the best option for you.

There’s some good group buys on here for ceramics and a lot of “cards mold” ceramics in the classifieds so check them out as well.

Ahhhhh, cool! Newcastle United fan, by any chance? Or Sunderland?

That's a big help, for sure. And, in that case, I'd use that budget to get a set of Cards Mold ceramics from a vendor in China.

Thread 'Cards Mold/"Tina" Alibaba Ceramics Master Consolidated Info Thread' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ramics-master-consolidated-info-thread.65544/

Thread 'Cards mold ceramic chip comparisons' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cards-mold-ceramic-chip-comparisons.72320/

These chips mean you can not only get a designer like @mattross1313 to design you a completely custom set based on exactly what you want, but you can also get £ denominations on them, too.

I'd happily send you a sample set, but I don't have any left anymore. However, as one of the first people to obtain a set of these, I honestly can't recommend them enough for the money. Here's my invoice from a few years back, which includes shipping of $70:

Screenshot_2022-12-27-18-03-30-78_81c7f64b22ddfc22ec5d35369b2ee43c.jpg

With regards to a breakdown, I'd recommend changing your game to 5p / 5p, negating the need for 1p chips so you can use your budget on other chips.

100 x 5p
200 x 25p
200 x £1

This covers 5p / 5p, as well as 5p / 10p and 10p / 25p (the latter to a lesser extent, although I imagine it would take a while for your players to feel comfortable at those stakes?).

If you really did want to play 2p / 5p, you could change that breakdown to:

100 x 1p
200 x 5p
200 x 25p

Ahhhhh, cool! Newcastle United fan, by any chance? Or Sunderland?

That's a big help, for sure. And, in that case, I'd use that budget to get a set of Cards Mold ceramics from a vendor in China.

Thread 'Cards Mold/"Tina" Alibaba Ceramics Master Consolidated Info Thread' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ramics-master-consolidated-info-thread.65544/

Thread 'Cards mold ceramic chip comparisons' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cards-mold-ceramic-chip-comparisons.72320/

These chips mean you can not only get a designer like @mattross1313 to design you a completely custom set based on exactly what you want, but you can also get £ denominations on them, too.

I'd happily send you a sample set, but I don't have any left anymore. However, as one of the first people to obtain a set of these, I honestly can't recommend them enough for the money. Here's my invoice from a few years back, which includes shipping of $70:

View attachment 1047870

With regards to a breakdown, I'd recommend changing your game to 5p / 5p, negating the need for 1p chips so you can use your budget on other chips.

100 x 5p
200 x 25p
200 x £1

This covers 5p / 5p, as well as 5p / 10p and 10p / 25p (the latter to a lesser extent, although I imagine it would take a while for your players to feel comfortable at those stakes?).

If you really did want to play 2p / 5p, you could change that breakdown to:

100 x 1p
200 x 5p
200 x 25p
Oh wow that's way cheaper than I imagined. Did you get them shipped direct to the UK?

And Newcastle United fan when I occasionally watch football.

Yeah, shipped directly to the UK, mate.

Ok, this might be a bit of a game-changer. I was still expecting huge shipping costs but I get it now.

Mate, I thought I was close to making a decision. What have you done!!!!!
Happy to help, mate!

Get in contact with @mattross1313 for a custom design — he's the best in the business (and will be on the same timezone as you, haha).

Prices might have changed a little since I ordered a couple of years ago, but should be roughly in the same ballpark.

I will do thanks. Aw man. Now I have ideas. Terry Pratchett theme? hmmmm. We're big nerds so that might go down well with the group.
That's the beauty of ceramics: the only limit to the design is your imagination!

Ok, this might be a bit of a game-changer. I was still expecting huge shipping costs but I get it now.

Mate, I thought I was close to making a decision. What have you done!!!!!
Get out now before it's too late.

This rabbit hole runs deep, and is well-documented for magically making the contents of wallets disappear before your very eyes.

Otherwise, check the date/timestamp and just post all of the sets you have collected a year from now. Not kidding.

I'm a Boro fan, so I'm afraid I can't help you :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

That being said, it looks like the guys have hooked you up with solid advice. Feel free to PM me as you progress if you get stuck/want advice. I am waiting for my CPC set to be delivered, so my main hobby is trying to corrupt new chippers.

I'm a Boro fan, so I'm afraid I can't help you :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

That being said, it looks like the guys have hooked you up with solid advice. Feel free to PM me as you progress if you get stuck/want advice. I am waiting for my CPC set to be delivered, so my main hobby is trying to corrupt new chippers.
Ha well thank you very much for the help.

I'm now considering a themed set. And I'm mulling ideas. Was gunna buy some angry ducks and now I have a project...

Oh you went deep fast!

Love the chips and table though. I had seen those wasps somewhere on the forum before. Love them.

I must admit I was eyeing up the same chip case somewhere recently.

My current game moves from house to house but we always use my chips and gear. So I've just got a simple matt to begin with. Feel like a travelling card player.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom