GF Bought me Custom Chips I Don't Like (2 Viewers)

thebrofessor

Waiting List
Reaction score
I am a poker chip snob, I love getting new chips all the time and am never satisfied with what I have (yeah I’m spoiled). I always told my gf don’t buy me chips or custom chips bc I’m picky and would be very hard to please me. Well I told her too late, she order custom dice chips with my name on them that look cool but there is no denomination. Using them would be a downgrade, however I love the thought of the chips and want to find a way to use them.
How can I use my current chips at my poker games with out being a jerk about the custom chips?

I feel you, that’s a tough one.

Here’s what you do. Figure out a way to get pictures of them onto a custom felt. Then they’ll always be a part of your game, but you never have to use them.

Put them in play twice over the next six months, find a way to explain in a deflecting way not to buy anymore chips (e.g. only looking for specific things now, have enough and not looking for more, etc.)

I have a friend that said you should never buy gifts into a person's strength. (so he bought me cigars instead of bourbon) It's tough when people do that.

I had to explain to my wife (girlfriend at the time) why I didn't want her buying me a wallet as a gift similarly. Luckily she hadn't bought it yet but it was still tough.

Might make for good bounty chips, “show ‘em” chips, all-in chips, or other non-monetary, game-related chips. Just a suggestion of how to get them into play without making them the primary chips in use.
Yes, this. And if the subject ever comes up, you can easily blame it on the players - oh, those idiots insist on using chips with numbers on them - they’re not too bright.

I am a poker chip snob, I love getting new chips all the time and am never satisfied with what I have (yeah I’m spoiled). I always told my gf don’t buy me chips or custom chips bc I’m picky and would be very hard to please me. Well I told her too late, she order custom dice chips with my name on them that look cool but there is no denomination. Using them would be a downgrade, however I love the thought of the chips and want to find a way to use them.
How can I use my current chips at my poker games with out being a jerk about the custom chips?

Sounds as though you spilt the gift already suggesting you don't like what she was pending to get you..... Sounds like this girl is interested in finding a real personal gift for you according to your interests don't knock that. I suggest being interested in the set that is coming. Also I suggest playing it and inviting your girlfriend to the game. Its possible one of your friends with put their foot in their mouths for you about them. You can be a good guy by standing up for them and saying how much you like them.....Then next time have your players vote to play another set in your rotation at the beginning of the night....Problem solved and you come out as the good guy.

Dude... YOUR GF BOUGHT YOU POKER CHIPS... she is a "keeper" and you shoud be on your way to florist and a jeweler....

Don't be picky and play the chips she bought you.
This is also a very reasonable take.

Does she play in your game?

Is she there while you are playing?

These would be my deciding factors on when I’d use them. While playing them with her, bring to notice how not having denoms slows the game in casual conversation.

How many chips are we talking about? If the number is low enough you could make some display with them to put on the wall. That let's them be a part of the poker experience without having to put them in play.

Tell her that you really do appreciate the gift, and that you obviously want to keep them, but since you are a degen chipper with mental issues you unfortunately can't handle that type of chip in play. If posible, get them a spot in your poker room on display.

you open them, you love them, and you absolutely play with them once or twice.

Maybe sometime later gently explain the levels of poker chips- but whatever you do, make sure and appreciate these chips from her. They came from a place of love and good intentions, that's literally all that matters.

(One of the first gifts my wife ever got me was a John Elway jersey to shadowbox and hang on the wall like I had always wanted...and she also couldn't understand why I had never just bought one since they arent as expensive as I made them out to be. lol. I love that eBay/china knock off jersey just as much as the real ones in my collection. She tried, and in my eyes she succeeded. I will admit though, that one isn't going to make it to the wall. ;) )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom