Genuine Paulson Chips, or knock offs? (1 Viewer)

atrachs

Pair
Reaction score
Yes, those are legit Paulson pharaohs. On the “Paulson Chips” mold. They made these for the home market and used to sell at regular retail outlets new. They stopped doing so maybe 7 years ago or so. Sometimes people will resell the, as “new” but they really just mean little to no play.

those are overpriced. Probably worth around $3-$3.50 each in quantity on PCF.

Thanks for the info! Something I didn't see on either... do people usually fake Paulsons? Or is that more uncommon.
Given the manufacturing process I think it’d be very difficult to do in a convincing way. But I’m sure alibaba prob has something named Paulson that’s not.
You will see actual Paulson chips modified from original state. Depending on the situation those could be considered “fake”

There are knockoffs but they aren’t too convincing but could trick someone new to hobby. Like these top hat chips no cane.

1552857740145-png.262617

There are knockoffs but they aren’t too convincing but could trick someone new to hobby. Like these top hat chips no cane.

1552857740145-png.262617
Great pic. Are those plastic injection molded. Seems that some of those dots have some flashing or something ? Just my annoying curiosity getting the best of me. Apologize in advance.

Hey, saw this listing on eBay while looking for some decent Paulsons for shuffling but couldn't tell if they were genuine or not. Are there any resources to help figure this out? Also, was unsure if Paulson still had "new" pharohs. I'm very much a noobie to this, so any advice is welcome!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-10-Ch...634022?hash=item23d81cfde6:g:x-wAAOSwWXNezsXS
Those are the real deal, and by Fay my favorite Paulson fantasy set. They are awesome, btw!

You want to double your collection I have about the same.
How are those plastics wise? Slippery? Stackable? Slugged? Sound OK? Feel plasticky?
Not that I'm gonna rush out to get a set, but they're everywhere, they're cheap, and they might take labels.
They might make a nice travel/kids' set.

How are those plastics wise? Slippery? Stackable? Slugged? Sound OK? Feel plasticky?
Not that I'm gonna rush out to get a set, but they're everywhere, they're cheap, and they might take labels.
They might make a nice travel/kids' set.
They are a bit light but they dont at all feel platicky! I thought they were clay when i handled them

Dots in the hats = injection point for plastic injection mold process.
AKSHUALLY they're ejection marks, where ejector pins push the cooling piece out of the mold. Injection points (called "gates") are smaller, pointier, and blobbier. Ejection marks are depressed, gate marks are raised.

Given the manufacturing process I think it’d be very difficult to do in a convincing way. But I’m sure alibaba prob has something named Paulson that’s not.
You will see actual Paulson chips modified from original state. Depending on the situation those could be considered “fake”

Here's a pretty good thread about the possibility of fake Paulsons.

Here's a thread with some actual examples of fake Paulsons. Note that those look pretty good, but would be spotted as fakes in an instant by anyone who knows what to look for.

There are vendors on alibaba that have pictures of Paulsons, which might lead you to believe that you can buy fake Paulsons from them. But as @BGinGA has said, beware:
There are many Chinese companies that advertise poker chips on alibaba...... most are not manufacturers, but only fronts for ordering. They use a variety of deceptive practices, including posting photos of real Paulson chips in many varieties (but that's not what you'll get if you order). The Chinese factories that these order front companies deal with have no issues making fakes or replicas of ANYTHING, and chips are no exception. With very few exceptions, quality is very poor.

Even when ordering a knock-off chip (typically plastic, but could be anything from china clay to slugged ABS), you aren't guaranteed to get what's actually in the photo. They will promise you the world to get your money, and even send sample chips that won't match the production chips you buy. Totally buyer beware (and avoid, if you're smart). Trust nothing you see or hear.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom