Gender Neutral Playing Cards anyone?? (1 Viewer)

I can’t believe they don’t have the gumption to go after the real issue here... the fact that aces are treated better than any of the humans. Wtf people and aces should be treated equally.

And what about the numbers??? Are we so careless to not think about how we’ve put them under our heals for centuries and even gone so far to assign them... values?!?! just adding them and subtracting them with no thought of who they are? We even call it a fact that some are greater or lesser than others!!! Disgusting.

I especially like the part where she talks about chess and the queen. She says well in chess the queen is actually more powerfully than the others...so that’s ok. Smh.

I hate that everyday I'm reminded why back in 1993 I cut the "Mean" off of a "Mean People Suck" bumper sticker and slapped it on my car.

People actually went out of their way to pull up to me to flip me off.

People just keep proving that as Janes Addiction once said ("Pigs in Zen"), some people should die.

ftr I'm all for equality, enjoy seeing women close gaps, and getting rid of systemic inequities that exist. And while I personally find the change a bit odd/forced, I'm happy it exists for the people who do care.

I especially like the part where she talks about chess and the queen. She says well in chess the queen is actually more powerfully than the others...so that’s ok. Smh."
'With The Queen’s Gambit still fresh in our minds, the question is whether there are any other games on Mellink’s list to tackle. “There is no such list, and if there were, chess would not be immediately on it,” laughs Mellink.

“Chess is meant to replicate the medieval way of waging war.” Mellink says. “With cards, that medieval – that old class system – isn’t really reflected in the games we play like poker and blackjack. So that’s why with cards it’s important that we change the ranking but with chess, it’s not. And by the way; the queen is not necessarily that much less valuable than the king in chess. She’s actually much more powerful.”'

Yeah I think it's an incredibly flimsy / all too convenient argument because it's "meant to replicate the medieval way of waging war"... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no.

I like that someone is doing something different.

The cards are really crappy quality paper stock though. The ham-hooved donks i play with would destroy them inside of an orbit or two

Someone should tell her that in chess, while the queen is more powerful than the other lower pieces, she is equally expendable.
It’s not until the king is dead that the game ends.

...so there’s THAT.
There's also the polygamy aspect when pawns are promoted...

Do kids even know what playing cards are these days?

I say make your deck, sell it to the people who want it, but do not force it on me or make some implications that I am a bigot or insensitive if I prefer the standard deck. There are real issues that people should put their efforts and resources behind not some nonsense about a deck of cards.

Do kids even know what playing cards are these days?

Ya, @rowlin they do not!
I teach math at a local college and when I referenced the deck of cards in a probability lesson, one out of 32 knew what I was talking about. I had to abandon the deck and use other examples.
It was strange to me, I was brought up playing cards with my family. I would play hours of gin with my grandfather every sunday seemingly from birth. The first time I was bluffed off a pot in poker was by my own grandmother (it was for 12c and I was 10, she was ruthless).

If the deck bothers you, make one that doesn't but leave the rest of us alone please. I play cards with friends of all genders, races, and sexual orientation and when I sent out a text about this they all laugh at me. I asked honestly if the deck bothered them, they joked about it but when I asked them to answer honestly they were all in agreement that it was a non issue. I know this is a small sample size but I just don't think many people who actually play cards care about this.

Me with :jd::jh:: All in!
Villain with :qs::qc:: Call!
Run out: :4h::6s::8h::ad::kc:
Villain: I win!
Me: Gender is social construct we split the pot!

If folks like these cards they can have them. I don't know how this moves society forward in any way. Eliminating gender on cards does not solve issues of misogyny or discrimination. It's just odd virtue signaling.

This is why I can't be in the politics tab and why this topic should probably be there.

We are not the target audience. Even if I was a woman, there’s no chance I’d purchase these to use as part of a game.

But nothing wrong with having options. If I was cat called everyday and had to regularly oversee a team where my polyglot team lead female made 35k and male equivalents working 20 hours a week made 3x as much because that’s “just the way it is”, maybe it’d be nice for me to have the option to have this deck in the house(not to play poker with, just to have). Just as a small fuck you.

I say make your deck, sell it to the people who want it, but do not force it on me or make some implications that I am a bigot or insensitive if I prefer the standard deck. There are real issues that people should put their efforts and resources behind not some nonsense about a deck of cards.

Ya, @rowlin they do not!
I teach math at a local college and when I referenced the deck of cards in a probability lesson, one out of 32 knew what I was talking about. I had to abandon the deck and use other examples.
It was strange to me, I was brought up playing cards with my family. I would play hours of gin with my grandfather every sunday seemingly from birth. The first time I was bluffed off a pot in poker was by my own grandmother (it was for 12c and I was 10, she was ruthless).

If the deck bothers you, make one that doesn't but leave the rest of us alone please. I play cards with friends of all genders, races, and sexual orientation and when I sent out a text about this they all laugh at me. I asked honestly if the deck bothered them, they joked about it but when I asked them to answer honestly they were all in agreement that it was a non issue. I know this is a small sample size but I just don't think many people who actually play cards care about this.
That’s the trend these days... the target group are not the ones offended.
Some people are getting offended for other people.

I do think the execution was very poor.

What tribal knowledge is she pulling from? While yes metals are occasionally used in board or video games, you generally don’t see these three. I would guess in human factor testing of the deck, folks would routinely mix the heirarchy, specifically bronze/silver (people aren’t bright).

Why not 10/11/12/13 Ace ? Make the general theme work, 10/fiefs/jesters/court. I think there’s various ways to make this work on a real level outside of the gender equality piece.

End of day we’re not intended client base. It’s a young person starting a business that relates to their beliefs. And she’s a phd candidate for clinical psychology. Not for me, but hell should prob buy a deck just to support these kinds of efforts from these types of folks. Kids are the future!

I support the idea of gender-neutral cards. However, I would not like playing with them for the same reason I don't want to play with French cards indexed with the letters R (Roi/King) D (Dame/Queen) and V (Valet/Jack). I simply do not want to have to adapt to a different letter, pausing to think each time what I am looking at.

If you truly want to go gender-neutral, number the cards 2-13 with the Ace still being High or Low. You could add gender-neutral art to the 11-13 to represent "paint" of "face cards".

This is simply an idea that was poorly executed.

Last edited:
While I think gender neutral cards is not especially a "priority" in the ongoing struggle for full equality, I always find it funny/interesting how PISSED OFF, especially men get at things like this. Like... who cares if they are making some funky/different gender neutral cards? Is that a personal affront to you? Play with the cards you like! Don't play with those (I doubt they will get very popular). To each their own. If for some folks this is important, then I say let's support them and not throw out energy into endless jokes undermining their efforts.

For the record, I'm not against this in any way. I'd have no issues playing with these cards.

And I don't think the execution is bad. R, D, V would take a moment's thought until you got used to it, but any fan of sports (and all other people as well, I'd imagine) would instantly recognizes that a pair of gold (golds?) beats a pair of silver (silvers?) which beats a pair of bronzes.

Last edited:
There is nothing new here. There are literally thousands of alternative decks with different suits, royalty ethnics, genders, materials, colors, non colors, nationalities, etc....... just a reporter that had a friend that needed a commercial.

While I think gender neutral cards is not especially a "priority" in the ongoing struggle for full equality, I always find it funny/interesting how PISSED OFF, especially men get at things like this. Like... who cares if they are making some funky/different gender neutral cards? Is that a personal affront to you? Play with the cards you like! Don't play with those (I doubt they will get very popular). To each their own. If for some folks this is important, then I say let's support them and not throw out energy into endless jokes undermining their efforts.
I consider myself a feminist. That doesn't stop people from poking fun at feminists who look at a deck of cards and see gender issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom