Gaming suede on straight Volara? (1 Viewer)

TxGoodfella

High Hand
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you guys have gaming suede on straight volara. Just got a new gaming suede layout and some 2-A volara locally, but wondering if its best to add something else on top for extra cushioning for playability. Volara is a must since my layout isn’t waterproof it seems. Just not crazy about the stiffer surface. Also the slide in cup holders i typically use will def imprint this stuff. Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have my gaming suede straight onto volara with nothing in between. No issues with that. Personally I don't allow any drinks on my tables anyway. I would consider having side tables/drink carts if you're worried about imprinting the foam or having spills. Just my thoughts.

I love 1/4” volara. Firmer than HD foam. My preference for sure. Nothing in between. I use slide under cup holders as well. Don’t leave them installed between games... that might cause indent to imprint. Also, don’t leave heavy items on table between games. I left my laptop on table for about a week. Next game, had strange indents. I realized what caused it later... indents went away after some time.

Just wondering how many of you guys have gaming suede on straight volara. Just got a new gaming suede layout and some 2-A volara locally, but wondering if its best to add something else on top for extra cushioning for playability. Volara is a must since my layout isn’t waterproof it seems. Just not crazy about the stiffer surface. Also the slide in cup holders i typically use will def imprint this stuff. Any advice? Thanks.

I don't care for volara either. What I've done on a few tables was to cover the volara with a layer of headliner foam. This gives you a nice cushy feel and make it 100x easier to pick up cards, but then the volara underneath gives that extra support so you can't feel the wood underneath.

I've switched over to high density foam for both the surface and the rail - 1" on the rail, 1/4" on the playing surface. My 2¢ worth.

I don't care for volara either. What I've done on a few tables was to cover the volara with a layer of headliner foam. This gives you a nice cushy feel and make it 100x easier to pick up cards, but then the volara underneath gives that extra support so you can't feel the wood underneath.

I've switched over to high density foam for both the surface and the rail - 1" on the rail, 1/4" on the playing surface. My 2¢ worth.

Is there a good place to source 1/4” HD foam? Currently building a table, but YAT seems to have been out for a while.

Yeah their provider stopped carrying it, but their 1/4" TS Backed Sewfoam is essentially the same thing.

https://www.yourautotrim.com/14pleatingfoam.html

Perfect, thanks. That’s what I was planning on using, until I saw this thread, and wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a better option. Just playing around with the sample card, it feels like backing up is the right way?

Perfect, thanks. That’s what I was planning on using, until I saw this thread, and wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a better option. Just playing around with the sample card, it feels like backing up is the right way?

Yes I usually put the backing face up, so that if the cloth ever needs to be replaced, the "skin" of the old foam doesn't peel when the old cloth is removed. The backing keeps the foam surface intact so the new cloth goes on smooth; it's very important with gaming suede because that will show every imperfection of the foam underneath, SSC is stiffer and much more forgiving. This also makes it easier to scrape off the foam from the wood if/when that ever needs to be replaced.

Cool guys thx for the input. I wonder if Chanman has ever sold his special XPS padding :tup: From my research its extruded polystyrene, but its pretty hard to find anything on it. Oh well volara w extra headliner it is. Thx again.

Putting the headliner on top of the volara would make it have more cushion for sure but the headliner is basically a sponge compared to the Volara that is 100% waterproof. Just my 2 cents.

Having just done plastidip on my Apache case has anyone tried to plastidip or flex seal headliner foam to give it waterproofing properties?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom