Gaming Subforum: Zelda Breath of the Wild (1 Viewer)

Watching this makes me wonder if I'd have had an easier time playing BF3 as an entry point to the series... awesome play, btw.

Not really because it's still the same setup, you need to unlock weapons and special abilities for vehicles, so you face the same dilemma, playing against people who know the maps and flow, and have extra tools to kill you easier and protect themselves more

Maybe the modern tech and weapons feel and handle differently than WWI, and I'd be more used to it...

Also, I just realized I wrote BF4 and not BF1... because my mind is mush these days. Christ.

So yeah, I've been playing BF1 on Xbox one. If you're not playing that, this is the game I've recommended here :confused: it takes place in WWI and is pretty damn amazing. But the lower tech on weapons, gun scopes and reloading, the dogfighting in a bi-plane, old style tanks and the need to get up close and dirty to use explosives and disable tanks means a lot to get used to.

The new DLC is also fantastic. Highly recommend the whole package. Also, I believe Windows players can join and play Xbox live players now, so I'd be happy to join a 48 or 64 man Conquest with any of you PCFers.

Ah yes, BF1 is the newest game that came out

I haven't jumped in yet. I have a massive backlog of games, plus usually wait for games to be out for at least a year, bugs patched and on sale. Can't stand paying $60 for a game

I started losing interest in FPS after CoD: Modern Warfare. Then Titanfall 2 dropped. Holy beejeezus. That game is everything I ever wanted in a FPS. Highly recommended.

LOVED Titanfall 2. Moved on from it only because I fell down the BF1 rabbit hole.

I wanted to hug the campaign when it was over. So fantastic.

I can't remember which call of duty was the one I played, I had fun with it for awhile. There was a map where they'd have Christmas lights and then you could call in a bomb drop and you'd hear sleigh bells and Santa's "ho ho ho!" and then BOOM!

But haven't played any others. Always wanted to check out Arma III because the bunny hopping in most of these FPS's tilts me to no end (i.e. you can't hop in the air and fire your shotgun or heavy machine gun with accuracy and without getting knocked on your ass, but, "games"). But unfortunately I've never found it at a price I wanted to pay so haven't jumped into it yet. Supposedly it's more military-sim and less arcade action.

Day 22 Update: (may contain slight spoilers containing number of shrines and such but nothing major)

After reliving my youth for three weeks in this game I'm pretty much done... was a glorious ride :) After work and weekends playing an unhealthy amount, most of the time in amazement, now I have little left to accomplish and can happily go back to my non-gaming life.

What a wonderful game. I really can't stress enough how much I enjoyed my time in this world. I absolutely love how you can do whatever you like in whatever order you like, go wherever you want whenever you want. There is no wrong way to play because there is no correct path to take. The game starts on a specific piece of land that you must clear before the rest of the world opens up to you but after those first couple hours you could literally go and fight the final boss of the game immediately. Granted it would be difficult to make your way to him and you wouldn't stand much of a chance in the battle but I would guess it's been done :)

General:

Amount of time put in... dunno and don't want to. Well over 100 hours if I had to guess. VAST majority of it was spent exploring places I'd not been before... the world is just enormous.

Everyone's path will be different. Mine, I started off traveling east, about halfway to the coast I started veering north. Upon reaching the eastern base of Death Mountain I turned east and explored the rest of the world in a general clockwise direction so DM itself was my final new exploration before the castle.

I never used horses to cover ground and feel those who do have got to be missing a literal shit-ton of the game. I was always exploring vertically which horses just can't do. Only two horses I ever registered were two special quest horses.

I actually didn't mean to beat the game yesterday... decided I wanted to enter the castle and climb to the very top and on my way back down figured I'd stop in to have a look at Ganon. Ended up beating him. Continuing after winning the game takes you back to your last pre-battle save as the world would be a monster-free place with Ganon gone though you do get a star next to your save files as an "I beat the game" icon.

After winning the game you get a completion percentage shown on your map. Mine is 37.05% with all but 5% of that being unfound Korok seeds.

Shrines:

There are 120 of them. 78 "normal" shrines and 42 quest shrines. Found 113 of them through normal game play/exploration. After beating the game I looked at an online map to get the general location of the other seven as the world is just far too fucking big to even attempt finding them. Needed the assistance on finding three of the quest shrines and four of the they-can-be-anywhere variety. By far and away the two best shrines in the game are in the extreme northeast and southeast corners.

Side Quests:

There are 76 of them. Completed 59 through normal play and again consulted Google on locating the remaining 17 as they would be extraordinarily harder to find than the shrines as some are very random in that it's not just finding the right person to talk to but you have to happen to find them at a specific time of day and location (fuck you firefly bitch).

Korok Seeds:

Fuck those things. There are 900 of them. I found 176 during my time exploring and have no interest in tracking down even one more, much less 724 of them. I said it once but I'm gonna say it again, fuck those things.

All in all I had a fucking blast playing, easily takes over the #1 slot of best game ever on my list. If I wanted to continue playing there is still plenty left I could do in Koroks, maxing armors, compendium, etc but thank God my OCD only required finishing off the Shrines and side quests. I am very happy this game was brought to my attention... and now I am happy to be done :D

Oops, meant to add these to my post

FullSizeRender(2).jpg
FullSizeRender(4).jpg
FullSizeRender(5).jpg
FullSizeRender(3).jpg
FullSizeRender(6).jpg

My son got the switch for his birthday and I started playing Zelda shortly after. Amazing game. I generally play one video game with any consistency - counter strike (those of you in this thread playing BF4 or COD... try CS:GO).. but this game is my big exception. I'm about 3/4 through (in terms of the Divine beasts) and I'm already mourning the fact that it will eventually come to an end.

If anyone has difficulty with the guardians, there is a powerful weapon that can help you defeat them with ease, not to mention the hilarious results it produces:
A wild Cucco
Granted, you have to get it to the guardian in one piece first, but good luck with that.

~3 months in, still playing. I had a couple of stretches where work and life got pretty crazy and I didn't play much, but man this game is huge (and still awesome). I'm about 75% of the way through the game (not counting all the korok seeds mentioned above). I've done 3 of 4 divine beasts, 80 something shrines, got the master sword and have opened all but 2 of the towers/map pieces. I've explored the map mostly in a counter-clockwise, did the elephant than the lizard then the bird divine beasts with tons of side trips along the way. Currently exploring up in the northwest portion of the map.

I believe I mentioned this before but I'll say it again, just where I'm at the point where I think I may start loosing interest, I find something new and cool again. The latest was being able to start with a small snowball, rolling it down the side of a snowy mountain to make a huge snow boulder to break down a door to a shrine, all looney tunes style, lol. To me the game has the most appeal in these moments - it's like the developers created a big list of everything an adventurous child wishes they could do at 8 years old and found a way to incorporate it in this game. Just a blast.

Agreed, extraordinarily fun game. I haven't touched it since my post after completing it a few weeks ago but I am looking forward to the Master Trials DLC that hits in the next week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom