Gaming Subforum: Zelda Breath of the Wild (1 Viewer)

Irish

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else playing the new Zelda game? I've always been a huge fan of the series, from the original NES versions to wasting countless hours in college playing Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I haven't really gotten into a video game in probably close to 10 years - things like kids & a house & work got in the way :) - but I started hearing news about this new chapter in the series a couple of years ago and have been looking forward to its release ever since. Thankfully we already had a Wii-U for the boys, so I picked it up in mid-March and have been playing off and on for over a month now. Holy shit this game is hiiyyoooge. A month and a half later, and I'd venture to say I'm not even half way through the game/map. I'm really really enjoying it though - it has a very similar feel/vibe to Ocarina of Time, but the open world format makes it like Ocarina of Time on steroids. You can spend hours just running around exploring - climbing mountains, hunting, fishing, raiding enemy camps, cooking by campfire, finding little hidden treasures, etc. The map is almost overwhelmingly big (again, a month and half in, and I've only uncovered about half the map), and you would think alot of it is filler space between towns, but there are so many cool little nooks and crannies with things to do, just amazing - I can understand why it took so long to develop the game. If they set out to make 30 & 40-something year old dudes feel like they're 10 year old explorers again, mission accomplished :)

And what's probably been the coolest part of the game is sharing it with my boys. I had dusted off the N64 a few times to play Ocarina of Time when they were younger and they got a kick out of watching me play through that game. They're 8 and 11 now, and have started Breath of the Wild quests of their own, so we're all playing through this new game now. The open world format has been perfect for us in that you can really play the game however you want - my little guy is infatuated with finding lots of ores to make money so he can buy all the different armor & outfits (then fights battles with sticks, lol). My older son is trying to fly through the game as fast as he can to beat his buddies from school to finish the game. And as mentioned I've been taking my time and exploring - grabbing as much stuff along the way as I can (both boys constantly make me pause the game so they can look through my inventory to see what's new). The 3 of us will camp out on the couch watching one play for an hour, trying to figure out a shrine or how to beat an enemy together, as my wife walks buy, rolling her eyes and shaking her head, lol. Good times all around.

Yes, I know, there are likely entire forums dedicated to this game, but I have zero desire to join a gaming forum. So - anyone else playing or I am the only Zelda loser here? No major game spoilers if possible please... ;)

My wife is a big Zelda fan, we buy the systems just for the one game. She has not purchased the new one yet, figured her birthday is in a couple of weeks and would get her something just for her. With the Wii version, the new terminology we added to our inter-personal vocabulary is "hack-hack-hack-attack" due to the motion of the controllers. Now whenever one is about to fight a boss, it is "time for hack-hack-hack-attack". Extended to all other games as well, so on PC based game, still H-H-H-A, even though it is just button pushing and mouse clicks.

Glad to hear it is not a week and done game, thanks for the review.

T

Great to see Zelda make such a big comeback. So very tempted to buy a switch or wii u just so I can play this game. Ocarina has to be one of the best games ever, I've played it through about 4 times. Is there any difference between the wii u version and switch version?

I loved the Game Cube Zelda games. They were the only reason I bought the system.

Would love to play this game as well but don't have the system or the time.

I bought the new Xbox to play Fallout 4 and haven't even been able to turn it on in 5+ months :(

I loved the Game Cube Zelda games. They were the only reason I bought the system.

I bought the new Xbox to play Fallout 4 and haven't even been able to turn it on in 5+ months :(

Fallout 4 is pretty great, although I feel your pain with the lack of time. I'm just waiting for the next elder scrolls to come out. Not sure it's ever going to happen.

25 hours in and I have yet to scratch the surface. Saw a guardian in the first hours of play and thought I could take it down. Man, was I wrong. You can easily get lost in this game.

Is there any difference between the wii u version and switch version?

Nothing major aside from frame rate, shading and lighting from a graphical standpoint.

T
25 hours in and I have yet to scratch the surface. Saw a guardian in the first hours of play and thought I could take it down. Man, was I wrong. You can easily get lost in this game.

Nothing major aside from frame rate, shading and lighting from a graphical standpoint.

Buying a pre-owned wii u might be the cheaper option then, thanks.

Ocarina has to be one of the best games ever, I've played it through about 4 times.

Likewise & I very much agree on Ocarina. I dare say that Breath of the Wild is even better.

I bought an Xbox "for the kids" for Christmas with the same intent. Zero hours logged to date... Being a big fan I made some time for this one.

25 hours in and I have yet to scratch the surface. Saw a guardian in the first hours of play and thought I could take it down. Man, was I wrong.

I was able to avoid that one, but my first horse got toasted by a guardian outside of the dueling peaks stable like 20 seconds after I nabbed him, lol

Picked up a switch and have gotten a handful of hours in on zelda. So far the switch and zelda have been awesome and now mario kart is going to be a great distraction on the bus to work! PS4 is about to go on the market and Xbox probably won't be touched for a while. Very impressed so far!

25 hours in and I have yet to scratch the surface. Saw a guardian in the first hours of play and thought I could take it down. Man, was I wrong.

Sounds like the first Giant I ran into playing Skyrim at about level 5. Saved right before I encountered it. Spent the next 3 hours trying to pot shot it, run hide, do it again, over and over only to die on the first hit I would take. Reload saved game and try again! :mad:

I was pretty disappointed with the loot once I finally did kill it.

Big thanks (and maybe a small FU) to OP for this thread.

In my youth I was huge into video games, was born at a great time to be a young gamer as the NES came out when I was in 7th grade. Was always a Nintendo fan first and foremost, huge fan of Zelda and Mario. For the last 15 years I've lost the itch to play... still always got every new Nintendo console just because but aside from beating whatever the new Mario adventure game and a bit of Mario Kart and Guitar Hero (haven't played since GH3) nothing has held my interest. I bought a Wii U when it came out and haven't touched it since a week after I bought it. Recently built a retro console system (Raspberry Pi3) which was fun to do but I played games on it for two nights and the novelty wore out.

Til I saw this thread I wasn't aware the new Zelda was available on the Wii U. Picked it up last week and holy fucking gaming Gods this game is just outstanding. Kids were at their moms this weekend... after starting the game Thursday night for a couple of hours I was hooked. Finished up a job early on Friday went home and played it from 2pm til 1am. Planned to go play in a tournament at noon at the Jack... woke up at 8am, started the game and by 10am was committed to blowing off the tournament. Played until midnight. Rinse and repeat Sunday, 9am to 1am. All told I've got to be 40 hours in to this thing and much like others I feel like I've barely started.

There is so much to do. There is no order. You go wherever you want to go, do whatever you want to do. It's fucking enormous and from what I've seen there is no "background"... if you can see it, you can go there (I've only explored the east coast which is ocean and can't speak to how the other directions end).

Game is just flat out incredible.

Echoing Ronah's point, my wife got her gift on Friday, she has been on it non-stop all weekend and has barely scratched the surface of map or tasks.

I'm a gamer and loved playing the original Zelda, but don't do much gaming on consoles these days. The only time I really turn to consoles would be for racing or sports style games, which I'm just not really into. We have a Wii U that we play Mario Kart 8 on, and have some other games I never really touch.

I just prefer PC gaming over consoles, for the style of games I play most (RPG/FPS/Simulation/RTS/Grand Strategy). I find the mouse/keyboard combo more precise for FPS and the graphics, mods, etc. available for the other games to be a better option for the other genres over a console.

Plus I tend to wait until a game has been out a year or more, fully reviewed, all releases and patches available, before I bite. And even then I tend to pick games up on Steam sales for $5-10 for a complete version, rather than $60+ at launch.

I have a ginormous backlog of games I haven't even touched yet (a blessing and a curse I suppose)

Currently playing Battlefield 4 (which I nabbed for $5 after playing the hell out of Battlefield 3), and Darkest Dungeon.

I've played a good chunk of Fallout 4, but I tend to get bored over time with Bethesda games. They cram a ton of content into them, but it just never seems to hold my interest to make it through completion. I had gone pretty deep into Skyrim and had mods on it, but then had some game crashing bug that just turned me off from the slog. I think part of my problem is I'm a completionist, so I'm checking every corner and trying to do every quest and after awhile it just becomes a real grind.

Loved Dragon Age: Origins, didn't care much for Dragon Age II. I have Dragon Age Inquisition but just don't have the free time to jump in yet and I'm trying to complete Darkest Dungeon before I jump into another lengthy game. Also have Galactic Civilizations III, but waiting for it to be fleshed out more as it wasn't all that balanced or fun at launch (picked it up on a good deal though and loved GalCiv II: Twilight of the Arnor expansion)

My wife is a big gamer, I used to be but now I just have no time. I picked up the switch for her a few weeks ago and the game and she has also been playing it non-stop. I watch her play on occasion and it looks like a lot of fun but her biggest complaint is that the world is so massive. It's almost too big.

I'd love to play it myself but I know if I did, I wouldn't stop and neglect everything thing else around me. I tend to get sucked into games like that. Poker does that enough for me nowadays.

The 3 of us will camp out on the couch watching one play for an hour, trying to figure out a shrine or how to beat an enemy together, as my wife walks buy, rolling her eyes and shaking her head, lol. Good times all around.

Best part of the post imo. I haven't played a video game in years either. My boy and I loved playing through the missions in Halo together with the split screen. We would be tearing it up, hollering, getting loud and shit and the wife would do the same thing. Walk by, roll her eyes, tell us it was to loud. Then smile cuz we were having a blast.

One time she asked us to turn it down. Jake was around 8 or 9. Very seriously he tells here were at war with three different alien factions at the same time. I have no why having the volume up so loud helped. Didn't matter. We both busted out laughing.

Big thanks (and maybe a small FU) to OP for this thread.

lol, you're welcome

There is so much to do. There is no order. You go wherever you want to go, do whatever you want to do. It's fucking enormous and from what I've seen there is no "background"... if you can see it, you can go there (I've only explored the east coast which is ocean and can't speak to how the other directions end).

Game is just flat out incredible.

Those are impressive stretches, I've found myself playing well past 3am on a couple of occasions, but I typically don't get the chance to play real big chunks until after the wife and kids have head to bed. Er well OK, not completely true, one of the nice things about the Wii-U (and I'm assuming Switch too) is that you can play the game on the gamepad while someone else is watching TV, so I'll occasionally sneak in some playing time during the couch time my wife & I get after the kids are in bed while we're watching a TV show or two. I was initially a little taken aback by the fact that there's really very little guidance/direction in the game. With past releases, there was a glowing part of the map where you had to go to next or that little fairy dude to tell you what was what, but here aside from the glowing tablet thing you can pretty much do what you like, when you like. After a couple of days of playing in that format though, it really grew on me, and as I mentioned before with my boys it's been really fun to watch each of us attacking the game in very different ways. My youngest son has now taken to running around the towns without any armor or cloths to see all the people's reactions (their reactions are different than when you have cloths on, which is awesome).

My wife is a big gamer, I used to be but now I just have no time. I picked up the switch for her a few weeks ago and the game and she has also been playing it non-stop. I watch her play on occasion and it looks like a lot of fun but her biggest complaint is that the world is so massive. It's almost too big.

I'd love to play it myself but I know if I did, I wouldn't stop and neglect everything thing else around me. I tend to get sucked into games like that. Poker does that enough for me nowadays.

If you're a goals driven gamer type or one that needs to complete 100% of all the tasks as fast as possible, I can see the game getting very overwhelming. Even just the first elevated portion of the map you unlock at the start of the game is nearly as big as the entire map of past games. I find that I'm exploring an area and just as I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to maybe loose a little interest or getting overwhelmed with the fact that I've played so long and haven't uncovered half the map, another cool little side quest or shrine will pop up and suck me back into playing for another 2 hours.

This past weekend I spent some time practicing fighting guardians, I just about have my technique & timing down so that I'm not getting fried every time I cross a new one. (y) :thumbsup:

Was going to preorder Switch but looked at the game release calendar and saw Mario Kart 8 is a port of the WiiU version and Grand Theft Mario (not the actual name) doesn't hit till just before Black Friday, and decided that it will be my Xmas gift to myself with Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and who knows what other exclusive will be well reviewed by then. Looking forward to it. Nintendo titles will always get me to the store, credit card in hand. It's in my DNA. I'm just no longer an early adopter. Still deciding whether to buy a cheap WiiU or a 3DS for my princess. If I go WiiU, it's mostly for me though lol

Have barely touched my Xbox or PS4 in 6 weeks thanks to finals and work on the Masters thesis. My daughter is playing consoles for the first time now and is addicted to Pac Man and Roblox. I have Injustice 2 reserved just in time for family vacation and if I play late nights, me and the guys are in Battlefield 4 or Rainbow Six Siege till the wee hours. Battlefield 4 is beyond anything I've played in multiplayer in years... really amazing team combat. Xbox live gold has helped me build 2TBs worth of a backlog of free games to get through, and the EA Pass gives me access to any of their catalog on demand. My tastes are wildly varied.

. Battlefield 4 is beyond anything I've played in multiplayer in years... really amazing team combat. Xbox live gold has helped me build 2TBs worth of a backlog of free games to get through, and the EA Pass gives me access to any of their catalog on demand. My tastes are wildly varied.

Is Xbox limited to 32 players total on a map for BF4? I know on the PC we can get to 64 player max servers. I generally play Large Conquest maps where you capture and hold flagged points to bleed enemy tickets.

My K/D ratio is only ok, but I'm in the top 1% in the world for win/loss ratio. I'm all about knowing what points on a map are most crucial to hold and how the ebb and flow of battle will leave certain points undefended so I can skirt around and cap em. Primarily play Engineer class and use vehicles a lot. I can't keep up with all those super-twitch bunny hoppers in a shoot-out. Also prefer hardcore servers (where it doesn't take 20 shots to kill a motherfucker)

Here's my stats page: https://bf4stats.com/pc/jennhkfan

The username of JennHKfan is because my wife created the origin account and I never cared enough when playing for it to bother me. Played the hell out of Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 3, and managed to get BF4 for $5 on sale plus they were giving away free a ton of expansions at the time on Origin so managed to get a pretty sweet deal.

Just recently had my best round ever with a 24-kill streak, 45 total kills and only 4 deaths. Still haven't beaten my 45-kill streak with no deaths I had in BF3 though

bf4stats.jpg

EDIT: Just found my BF3 stats page:

http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/jennhkfan

My W/L was sick on BF3, more than 10 rounds won for every 1 lost (on BF4 I'm closing in on 5 rounds for every 1 lost, but still have a ways to go)

Last edited:
I think most players in FPS games use aimbots and other hacks. I'm not that good at them, but some players have stats that don't make sense.

I've definetly encountered that, where you get insta-killed spawning at your base and the guy has 97 kills and no deaths. "Seen" players using invisibility cheat where only their weapon is visible, etc

But fortunately thats been a small fraction of the games I've played

Is Xbox limited to 32 players total on a map for BF4? I know on the PC we can get to 64 player max servers. I generally play Large Conquest maps where you capture and hold flagged points to bleed enemy tickets.

My K/D ratio is only ok, but I'm in the top 1% in the world for win/loss ratio. I'm all about knowing what points on a map are most crucial to hold and how the ebb and flow of battle will leave certain points undefended so I can skirt around and cap em. Primarily play Engineer class and use vehicles a lot. I can't keep up with all those super-twitch bunny hoppers in a shoot-out. Also prefer hardcore servers (where it doesn't take 20 shots to kill a motherfucker)

Here's my stats page: https://bf4stats.com/pc/jennhkfan

The username of JennHKfan is because my wife created the origin account and I never cared enough when playing for it to bother me. Played the hell out of Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 3, and managed to get BF4 for $5 on sale plus they were giving away free a ton of expansions at the time on Origin so managed to get a pretty sweet deal.

Just recently had my best round ever with a 24-kill streak, 45 total kills and only 4 deaths. Still haven't beaten my 45-kill streak with no deaths I had in BF3 though

View attachment 98004

EDIT: Just found my BF3 stats page:

http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/jennhkfan

My W/L was sick on BF3, more than 10 rounds won for every 1 lost (on BF4 I'm closing in on 5 rounds for every 1 lost, but still have a ways to go)

That's damn impressive. I never sucked at FPSs until I played BF4 lol I picked it up for the campaign when it came out, never playing the series before. I really have always been a Tom Clancy game player, not CoD or BF. Once I found more than a handful of by pals were playing on xbox, I gave online play a try and was hooked. We have 64 man battles on xbox, which are amazing.

My K/D is total trash as I'm still learning maps, console play and aiming is badly affected by lag in picture and I tend to play either hyper aggressively as a tank with a shotgun or as support/medic. Its like .25 lol I also bought the online unlockable package so I experiment a ton with the dogfighting and u boats.

I love Conquest, especially when I team up with the boys or proper players because I prefer to be a good teammate in support of goals than deathmatching like an insane person. I rack up levels with this play style.

And if you haven't already, the DLC They Shall Not Pass is worth every penny. New maps are insanely fun.

I've definetly encountered that, where you get insta-killed spawning at your base and the guy has 97 kills and no deaths. "Seen" players using invisibility cheat where only their weapon is visible, etc

But fortunately thats been a small fraction of the games I've played
My boys and I played a good amount of COD Black Ops 3 on PS4. It was amazing that the leader was always getting kills with a melee weapon, and switched to it about a second before you turned the corner (as seen from watching the kill cam). That person always has 45 kills and about 5 deaths, while the next best was at 20/10 or something like that. And then, it became more like that. Then the people that just throw things in the air and they always hit someone .. or when a group of 4-5 people come around the corner, and he kills them all with a sniper rifle without ever using the scope. Got so out of hand that we stopped playing, as you just became fodder.

Star Wars battlefront was even worse, as there is no advantage to using a scope, and people were shooting across the map with a pistol and headshotting you. You couldn't even see them, and they were always accurate.

I haven't played a video game in a few months.

The one thing I dislike about the Battlefield Series is the unlocks system. It makes it difficult for new players starting out to compete. They're already up against veteran players who know the maps and flow, which gives them an edge.

But then those veteran players also have access to unlocked weapons or abilities on vehicles that make them harder to kill and their opponents easier to kill. So you stick a new player in there and it's just unbalanced, and takes awhile for the new player to catch up. But, I suppose that drives their microtransactions business to get you to buy unlocks

I have BF4 and as a new player it was rather frustrating to be so limited with guns etc. Haven't played it since the first weekend I bought it.

I have BF4 and as a new player it was rather frustrating to be so limited with guns etc. Haven't played it since the first weekend I bought it.

If you stick with it, it does get to be fun. It sucks to die, die, die again at the outset. But stick with it and you'll be pwning n00bs just like me, Tom Vu!

Found a highlight clip from when I played BF3 from about a year ago, bit more flying than I normally do, I don't hop into jets much, more choppers. And I'm only average in the jets, don't stand a chance against the aces out there, but those guys tend to not win the rounds because they aren't capping and holding control points anyway

But, I suppose that drives their microtransactions business to get you to buy unlocks

This. They got their hooks in me for the $45 season pass on all DLC and another $40 to unlock all vehicles and weapons immediately. And I loved every second of it.

Once June hits, I'm free to game again. Most looking forward to a heavily coordinated game of War Pigeons with the fellas. Such an underrated match type.

Found a highlight clip from when I played BF3 from about a year ago, bit more flying than I normally do, I don't hop into jets much, more choppers. And I'm only average in the jets, don't stand a chance against the aces out there, but those guys tend to not win the rounds because they aren't capping and holding control points anyway

Watching this makes me wonder if I'd have had an easier time playing BF3 as an entry point to the series... awesome play, btw.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom