Games within the game (1 Viewer)

When we get to heads up…deep end of the night… @EffenGilbert and I often play 5+1+1…dealt 5…discard 1 prior to betting…three card flop…discard 1 more…betting round…then turn…then betting round prior to river and you can play all three holding cards!

does this have a name?

@dmoney maybe something to cause wildness on July 10?
I’m guessing it’ll be dealers choice to end the night with you me and @EffenGilbert, so we can definitely do that, play more BigO, and try Tahoe Pitch and Roll.

Getting back to the OP, game within game things I can think of: side bets or game triggers for monotone flops, or flops of all low (257) or high (jkq) cards. If one hits it triggers an automatic bomb pot, or hand of a different game the next hand.

I’ll never understand it, guys. Maybe because I rarely play more than one live session per week. But I’ve never sat there playing holdem for 4-12 hours and thought, I need something else to entertain me.

I’ll never understand it, guys. Maybe because I rarely play more than one live session per week. But I’ve never sat there playing holdem for 4-12 hours and thought, I need something else to entertain me.
I dealt/managed in a small poker room for over a decade. So yeah. I need something else going on. Haha. If we played anything other than nlh i would probably be content with just the cards. But half the nits in our game don't like to play anything else. Very tilting.

Berkey was talking on his podcast about a game they play in Bobby’s Room called the Stand Up Game. Everyone stands up and when you win a pot you sit down. The last person standing pays all the other players a fixed amount (can’t remember I think it was like 2-5bb per player)
We did the stand up game. Very entertaining. But when it got down to heads up, one of the guys standing chopped a pot. What are the odds. Go figure. We agreed that chopping a pot counts as a win and he sat down. We also played with 3 show me chips which was a good amount. And 1 FU chip per player. The FU chip worked out great. It turned into you could use it at any time and the player you say "FU" to has to splash the pot. And sit out that hand, and get everyone at the table drinks.

Attachments

• 20210703_224715.jpg
    20210703_224715.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 54
I think the ultimate intent of most of these rules is really to just make it optimal to play looser.

We did red/black flops for a bit, but found more people wanted to get in on the action. So we started doing suits. Each player in the game claims a suit, and when a flop with 2 of your suit comes in, everyone owes you 1 unit. If the flop is entirely your suit, everyone owes you 2 units. If the full board runs out your suit, everyone owes you an additional 2 units. The catch is that you have to call out that your suit came in, and once the hand is over and the board is cleared, it's too late.

In the Moxie Poker League we have 2 in-season bonuses people can earn (the prizes are funded from the Championship Event Prize Pool):

High Hand Bonus: $50

A player who makes a full house of Aces full of 2’s or better at any point during tournament play will be consider to be the high hand of the night, so long as another player doesn’t make a stronger hand before the conclusion of that tournament. Once the high hand has been hit, that player’s hand establishes the standard for the next high hand bonus.

Example: if a player makes quad 4’s and that ends up being the high hand for that tournament, a hand of quad 4’s with a better kicker will be required in subsequent tournaments to earn the bonus. All ‘High Hands’ must be made using both hole cards and not counterfeited by the board in order to qualify for the bonus.

In the event a player makes a qualifying hand of a Royal Flush, the bonus will be paid instantly, and the high hand standard will be immediately reset to Aces full of 2’s.

In the event that more than one player ties for a qualifying hand at the end of a tournament, the prize will be split evenly between all qualifying players.

In the event no high hand is awarded during a tournament, the bonus amount does not carry over to future tournaments. A hand does not have to go to showdown to qualify for the bonus, however the player’s hand must be tabled to qualify.

The Red Puck Bounty:

$20 A bonus will be awarded to the player who felts the winner of the previous event. If more than one player qualifies for this bounty, the prize will be split between all eligible players.

If the previous event’s winner wins the current event without ever being felted, the bounty is not awarded. In rebuy events, the bounty is awarded the first time the previous event’s winner is felted, regardless of whether or not that player rebuys.

One other Gimmick:

If a player is felted and chooses to rebuy, the eliminating player gets to choose which bounty chip they get from a variety of phrases. Good to create rivalries :)

101649611_10207165829100638_4059411493983092736_n-jpg.469742

In the Moxie Poker League we have 2 in-season bonuses people can earn (the prizes are funded from the Championship Event Prize Pool):

High Hand Bonus: $50

A player who makes a full house of Aces full of 2’s or better at any point during tournament play will be consider to be the high hand of the night, so long as another player doesn’t make a stronger hand before the conclusion of that tournament. Once the high hand has been hit, that player’s hand establishes the standard for the next high hand bonus.

Example: if a player makes quad 4’s and that ends up being the high hand for that tournament, a hand of quad 4’s with a better kicker will be required in subsequent tournaments to earn the bonus. All ‘High Hands’ must be made using both hole cards and not counterfeited by the board in order to qualify for the bonus.

In the event a player makes a qualifying hand of a Royal Flush, the bonus will be paid instantly, and the high hand standard will be immediately reset to Aces full of 2’s.

In the event that more than one player ties for a qualifying hand at the end of a tournament, the prize will be split evenly between all qualifying players.

In the event no high hand is awarded during a tournament, the bonus amount does not carry over to future tournaments. A hand does not have to go to showdown to qualify for the bonus, however the player’s hand must be tabled to qualify.

The Red Puck Bounty:

$20 A bonus will be awarded to the player who felts the winner of the previous event. If more than one player qualifies for this bounty, the prize will be split between all eligible players.

If the previous event’s winner wins the current event without ever being felted, the bounty is not awarded. In rebuy events, the bounty is awarded the first time the previous event’s winner is felted, regardless of whether or not that player rebuys.

One other Gimmick:

If a player is felted and chooses to rebuy, the eliminating player gets to choose which bounty chip they get from a variety of phrases. Good to create rivalries :)

101649611_10207165829100638_4059411493983092736_n-jpg.469742
Your bounty chips had me literally laughing out loud. Well done sir

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom