Game of Thrones Rewatch: start 24Sept2018, end before final season starts (1 Viewer)

inca911

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Night gathers, and now my re-watch begins.

GoT.png

I have decided I'm going to re-watch all of GoT before the start of the final season. This thread is for others to join in the experience, and talk about the episodes that are part of the current week's viewing. If you haven't watched GoT, this thread should give you some of the experience of discussing what is happening "real time". Speculation about the future is welcome, but I ask those who have already watched the entire series to use the spoiler tag to protect those who want to catch up as part of a group. Should be fun, especially getting the reactions of those who haven't seen it before!

I'm roughed out a timeline that starts 24September, and will finish before the airdate of the first episode of the final season. Once the airdate is announced for the final season, I'll adjust timing accordingly (e.g., skipping some holiday weeks, or shortening to 2 episodes per week). The earliest GoT start date was 30Mar2013, so an April start feels likely. GoT is available on demand with HBO, and cable providers will generally give you HBO for free if you ask them. Rough schedule is below, so episodes 1-3 will be open for discussion starting 24Sept:

1535911048803.png

Valar morghulis....

Last edited:
So for those of us who know nothing beyond @k9dr's chips, how many episodes are involved, and why is this worth watching?

I'm down for a re-watch. I love this series, but I must admit they have been dragging it out.

For as much as they have dragged out this series it seems crazy that they are going to finish it all up in a single short season.

Also two years is a long wait for the final season.

With all that said though this show is definatley still in my top 5 series all time. I cant wait for the final season.

So for those of us who know nothing beyond @k9dr's chips, how many episodes are involved, and why is this worth watching?
a ton of episodes. I love it because this is the first series I watched where every single character is fair game to get killed off. Almost every character you pull for and absolutely hate at one point or another. Just great TV.

I stopped watching after a few seasons... love the show, but I lost HBO at one point and never picked it back up. Should be noted that I have read the books... so not much isa spoiler to me... but I’ve forgotten many points along the way.

Is there some place to order the entire season (Blu-ray), or do I need HBO on demand?

It's a commitment. Just shy of 70 episodes once all is said and done.

I turned my nose up at it thru to the end of season 5. My reasoning was I had seen LOTR, how much more fantasy does a person really need?
But DH assured me it wasn't that. So I capitulated so he would watch Parks & Rec, I gave it one episode to hook me.
I finished all 5 seasons in under a month, and was waiting with baited breath for #6.

Why is it worth watching?
  • The politics are evilly juicy and unforgiving. And this show is ALL about politics.
  • The characters are deeply flawed, and you get to see them experience their mistakes. I have found myself rooting for characters that I know have done unforgivable things in the past.
  • Where other shows would hint at the fact that there is something nasty going on in that dark corner, GOT shines a light on it and makes you watch the uncomfortable bits.
  • The magic. It's shown to you strategically, it's not fancy, nor fanciful. It will give you chills when you see it, and make you glad you don't live in that world.
  • The production. The people making this show love this world. There are amazing call backs from season 6 that go back to the first episode. Their passion for this story is palpable.

Dang, I started a little too early in my re-watch. I just started season 6 a couple days ago. Looking forward to all the discussions!

That’s funny, I’ve been watching it on the iPad when I run on the elliptical. Halfway through season three now.

Me and the better half knew we should’ve been watching it from the jump, and just binged all 7 seasons in January during a mix of 12 consecutive and unproductive afternoons/evenings/late nights/early mornings. God help me it was sooooo worth it. Best way to experience it for us because there was no waiting and every detail was fresh in our minds.

We just watched them all last summer and watched the last season as it was running. Just an amazing show that I can't wait to see how it ends!

Night gathers, and now my re-watch begins.

View attachment 197229

I have decided I'm going to re-watch all of GoT before the start of the final season. This thread is for others to join in the experience, and talk about the episodes that are part of the current week's viewing. If you haven't watched GoT, this thread should give you some of the experience of discussing what is happening "real time". Speculation about the future is welcome, but I ask those who have already watched the entire series to use the spoiler tag to protect those who want to catch up as part of a group. Should be fun, especially getting the reactions of those who haven't seen it before!

I'm roughed out a timeline that starts 24September, and will finish before the airdate of the first episode of the final season. Once the airdate is announced for the final season, I'll adjust timing accordingly (e.g., skipping some holiday weeks, or shortening to 2 episodes per week). The earliest GoT start date was 30Mar2013, so an April start feels likely. GoT is available on demand with HBO, and cable providers will generally give you HBO for free if you ask them. Rough schedule is below, so episodes 1-3 will be open for discussion starting 24Sept:

Valar morghulis....
you know nothing @inca911

First Three Episodes are LIVE for content. SPOILERS for those episodes below.

Winter is Coming
This time around, the storyline was much, much easier to follow. Naturally that was to be expected, as I've read the books and watched all the previous shows. The set details really stood out this time. The executioner block was bloodstained, worn smooth with time, and had a few cuts where the aim was less than true. The foreshadowing was also much clearer: the dead stag, the hot bath for Daenerys, Ramsay rushing forward to offer to kill the dire wolf pups. Jon Snow excluding himself so the number of pups matched the number of Stark children was a nice touch that I had forgotten. Tyrion looked so young in the first brothel appearance, almost a different person. Speaking of brothels, I knew we had seen Ros early in the show, but didn't really make the connection. I think it's going to be fun to follow some of the lesser characters this time through. Sophie Turner (Sansa) really did a good job as an actress, making us feel exactly as they want us to for young Sansa. I didn't recall the white walker being that fast in the first episode, but he clearly chased (and caught) the remaining Night's Watch brothers in the woods. How did the to-be-executed guy escape?

Kingsroad
Again, being able to relax and follow the storyline (i.e., without focusing on who is who and how they are connected) let me enjoy the details much more. The costume designers really did a great job. The nobles wear the right type of furs (i.e., mink, ermine, fox), and the commoners attire is extremely well done. I hope someone got an award for costume design for this show. Watching Tyrion work to get a read on Cersei and Jaime at the breakfast table reminded me of Paulo trying to figure out if I can beat his boat. Good acting, and a scene with much deeper meaning this time through. Seeing the smith make Needle was something I completely missed. I know Jon was near a forge, but the background wasn't important in the first viewing. I also liked how Jaime pulled Jon's hand in (like Trump does) as a power play when "congratulating" Jon on joining the Night's Watch. Nice douch-ey touch. It was interesting to see Ned watch Kat being mean to Jon as Jon said bye to Bran. It made Ned's promise to tell Jon about his mother more meaningful, as he clearly wants to share the details. There were some nice details, like the Wall group turning north as the King's Landing group turned south leaving Winterfell. They could have just kept them all together, but someone felt that was important to stress, and even created a separate set location just for one scene. The episode did well to build some complexity to the Arya/Sansa relationship, gave us some insight into the Hound (Micah didn't run very fast), and generally moved pieces around the board.

I didn't recall that Cersei killed her first son with Robert, but it was pretty clear this time through. A black-haired beauty dying of fever, just like John Aryyn (whom she poisoned).

Last edited:
Lord Snow
Varys has style, with his flowing sleeves. This episode was full of great characters: Varys talking about his little birds; Syrio Forel; Arya starting down a path (and the start of her list); Daenerys finally stepping into her character; and even Old Nan (played by Margaret John--a famous actor in her own right, who passed about one month after this episode was aired). I didn't pay much attention to the comments on the crown's debt the first time, but 3MM to the Lannisters and 6MM total is a lot of gold coins. I like that kind of detail. Quote of the episode was Cersei teaching Joff that the truth is what he wants to make it. The Night's Watch scenes were nearly black and white, a detail that was really striking to me this episode, a nice cinematic touch. Learning that Robert's first kill was a Tarly boy surprised me. The Tarly name had no meaning the first time through, just some random unknown person. I really felt for Ned watching Arya getting "killed" again and again while practicing with Syrio. Kind of a "what did I just encourage here" moment, which connected with me as a dad. This whole episode was great character development throughout. The pieces have been moved into place, and now the action can start to pick up in earnest.

Enjoy the episodes, new watchers! See you next week....

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom